Richard Adkins
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings,

I have attended more cons than I want to count since the late 80's and have had many good, bad and routine encounters with dealers.

I would like to share a story about my recent trip to Origins this year and show a bit of appreciation that was well earned.

The story begins in the spring of 2008 with my purchase of Duel in the Dark and Duel in the Dark: The Complete Edition – Expansion. The game was infected with mildew and I was unhappy.

I contacted Z-man games and Zev responded promptly with a polite apology and a credit offer. I told him that would be fine and that I would like to wait for some of his upcomming product to use said credit. He responded and said that would be fine and to let him know what and when.

A bit of time passed and I contacted him again mentioning that I was in no hurry and that I could bring my product return with me to Origins to save both of us shipping costs and hassles. I also wanted him to see I was not just trying to BS him for free stuff. He was agreeable to my offer.

Origins arrives and I met Zev at his booth with my return in hand. He looked it over and said no sweat you have 70 bucks in credit, let me know what you want. I looked over the booth and picked up Saboteur and Santiago for a total of 35 bucks. Nothing else interested me and was wanting some of his upcomming stuff, so I walked away with 35 in credit.

Upon returning home I sent him a thank you for his willingness to make things right for a customer and that I would let him know when I wanted something else. Time passed and I forgot about the credit.

Fast forward to Origins 2009. I walk into the dealers room and see the Z-man booth... smack myself on the forehead...I have credit with him! No way he will remember me....I better get my GF back in Toledo to send me a copy of my correspondence with Zev so he remembers.

I call her and set it all up and continue looking around the dealers room.

I can't resist and I pass through the Z-man booth to look at his new stuff. Sure enough, Zev is there and asks "Is there anything I can help you with?"

I tell him that yes there is but I doubt that he would remember me...."You look pretty familiar" he says.

I was here last year and returned...."Duel...right?"

Somewhat dumbstruck I said yeah and I think that I......"still have what, like 35 in credit"

I was in total amazement....awestruck even. The sheer number on cons he attends and the number of people he meets and talks to is staggering and yet he remembered me and my 35 in credit from a year ago!

My memory was not as clear as his and thought it was 25, which I claimed as partial payment on a copy of Tales of the Arabian Nights.

I checked when I got home, he was correct about the amount it was 35.

Hats off to you Zev, you made me feel like a valued customer.

Thanks for reading my tale.

Best of luck and happy gaming!

Rick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice story. I've always gotten quality customer service from Zev, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic guy and proof that those who work in this industry aren't all jaded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! I've always know that Zev is an incredibly nice guy. Now I find out he also has photographic memory! I'll try to remember to never play a memory game with him...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Before I agree that Zev has amazing customer service skills I must ask for a recent photo of you.

I've met a few 'people' in my day that I would remember even after binge-drinking, dope-smoking and self-induced alzheimering in an effort to forget.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Needle
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He is such a top bloke we are trying to get him to migrate to Australia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FEB
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread clearly shows how benefiticial a good customer care can be !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.