Subject: Engineering genius rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
staffan t
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I opt to use Masonry for the first and last step of a wonder or do I need to build several steps in order ?

If I can choose which steps to build for 1 action, can I play Engineering genius for the "middle" step ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo Badinelli
Italy
Lonato
Brescia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you play Engineering genius, you applies only the card effect (that is if you have masonry you can't apply its bonus to the card) but you must build the steps in order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Pessina
Italy
Vimercate
Monza e Brianza
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Step must be build... in step! You cannot jump a step, and make it later! ;)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.J.E. Hendriks
Netherlands
Arnhem
Gelderland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
That's right.

The steps in building a wonder are ALWAYS in order, starting on the left, going to the right.

You can never ever choose to complete a different step than the most left uncompleted step.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In case it wasn't clear from the previous replies (it wasn't to me), if you play an engineering genius card, you may only complete one stage of a wonder, even if you have masonry/architecture/engineering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Thanks Daniel...jotted that down in my notebook

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
In case it wasn't clear from the previous replies (it wasn't to me), if you play an engineering genius card, you may only complete one stage of a wonder, even if you have masonry/architecture/engineering.

Am I understanding this correctly to say that if you have Engineering Genius and a technology that allows you to build two steps of a wonder in one action, you cannot use the EG to build one of your two steps and regular rocks to build the other in the same action? Or are you saying the EG applies only to one of the stages, but you can complete more stages in the action by normal means?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Michel Petit
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can only use engineering genius on one step of the wonder for 1 civil action. Using the ability of your blue technology cards to construct other steps of the wonder cost another civil action. Engineering genius can only be use on 1 step for 1 civil action.

Cheers

Micquebec

Golux13 wrote:
dcorban wrote:

Am I understanding this correctly to say that if you have Engineering Genius and a technology that allows you to build two steps of a wonder in one action, you cannot use the EG to build one of your two steps and regular rocks to build the other in the same action? Or are you saying the EG applies only to one of the stages, but you can complete more stages in the action by normal means?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tedd Mullally
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
I respectfully disagree with the opinion that Engineering Genius does not work in combination with the masonry category.

This is in direct contradiction to the explanation of the action cards.
Some action cards include the effect of another action. Two examples of this are Efficient Upgrade and Engineering Genius.

If the opinion on Engineering Genius is applied to the Efficient Upgrade action, then you ONLY receive the discount of the number of resources on the Action card and NOT the bonuses of the Masonry. Yet the Masonry card say the discount applies to ALL Urban buildings regardless of whether they are built via direct civil action or the result of an Efficient Upgrade card.

Therefore, it is my opinion that Engineering Genius enables the Build One Stage of a Wonder action and that action is enhanced by the masonry card to allow two stages to be built. This action receives the benefit of discounted resources via the Engineering Genius Card

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tedd Mullally
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
OK I stand corrected... by myself! blush

The back page of the rules (pg 20) clearly stated (Engineering Genius can only be used to build 1 stage of a Wonder even if the technology allows you to build multiple stages)

I was treating it as if it said (Engineering Genius can only be used to discount 1 stage of a WOnder...) but clearly the designer disagrees.

So I lower my vote on consistency in the game design whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tedd5 wrote:

I was treating it as if it said (Engineering Genius can only be used to discount 1 stage of a WOnder...) but clearly the designer disagrees.

Yup. You were treating it that way, but that's not what the card says. The card starts "Build 1 stage of a Wonder". Engineering Genius strictly says 1 stage. ...note that it does not mention actions. If it said "you have one extra civil action for the purpose of building a Wonder" then it would interact with Masonry, which triggers off of using a civil action to build a Wonder. As Engineering Genius makes no mention of actions it does not trigger Masonry.

If you go strictly by the wording of the card you can see why the designer's interpretation is, in fact, the only one possible.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tedd5 wrote:
So I lower my vote on consistency in the game design whistle

I respectfully disagree. You have actions to spend.

You have the choice of:

(1) Using an action to play the Engineering Genius card, or

(2) Using an action to trigger the special ability of the Masonry card.

You are asking to split the action between these two. You can only use an Action in one way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Germany
Ulm
Ba-Wü
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Further question
The following case: I have a special technology, which makes urban buildings cheaper.
When I use a yellow card, which lets me build an urban building for 2 resources less, may I use the special technology to build even more cheaply?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
brauerle wrote:
The following case: I have a special technology, which makes urban buildings cheaper.
When I use a yellow card, which lets me build an urban building for 2 resources less, may I use the special technology to build even more cheaply?

Yes. Because the Masonry card does not require that you spend an action on Building to get the discount. It is always there. Therefore you still get the discount if you spend an action on Play an Action Card.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
brauerle wrote:

Yes. Because the Masonry card does not require that you spend an action on Building to get the discount. It is always there. Therefore you still get the discount if you spend an action on Play an Action Card.

-MMM

Can you please post the full text of the Engineering Genius card? I'm still troubled by the suggestion that I can't use it with Masonry. My understanding of the Action cards is that most of them are used to enhance civil actions that you take (e.g., by making things cheaper). The notable exceptions would be the ones that simply give you CP, Science, or resources; but other than those, I had thought they were all essentially applied when you are taking another action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
All yellow action cards must be played by spending a civil action on the Play an Action Card option. Many of the action cards will give you the same effect as having spent a civil action on another option (produce a worker, build a building, etc) with a bit of a bonus. But you are still fundamentally spending your action on playing the card and then doing what the card says.

The Engineering Genius card begins "Build ONE stage of a wonder.." (emphasis mine). As such that is what you may do. You may not build more than one stage of a wonder using Engineering Genius if you also have Masonry because the wonder building bonus of Masonry is triggered by spending a civil action to construct a wonder. As you spent the civil action to play a card it does not trigger that bonus, even if the card allows you to build one stage of a wonder.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
All yellow action cards must be played by spending a civil action on the Play an Action Card option. Many of the action cards will give you the same effect as having spent a civil action on another option (produce a worker, build a building, etc) with a bit of a bonus. But you are still fundamentally spending your action on playing the card and then doing what the card says.

The Engineering Genius card begins "Build ONE stage of a wonder.." (emphasis mine). As such that is what you may do. You may not build more than one stage of a wonder using Engineering Genius if you also have Masonry because the wonder building bonus of Masonry is triggered by spending a civil action to construct a wonder. As you spent the civil action to play a card it does not trigger that bonus, even if the card allows you to build one stage of a wonder.

-MMM

I understand your point, but I'd still like to read the entire text of the card. It seems just as possible to me, without seeing it, that the card is meant to emphasize the cost savings rather than the number of stages of the wonder being built. Masonry says "You may build up to 2 stages of a wonder for 1 civil action" -- I know that because there's an image here, unlike the EG card -- but it doesn't say anything about cost or where that civil action "comes from."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Engineering Genius: "Build one stage of a wonder; pay X less."

Note that the card doesn't say: "This round, you have 1 extra civil action and extra X resources for building a stage of a wonder."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
Engineering Genius: "Build one stage of a wonder; pay X less."

Note that the card doesn't say: "This round, you have 1 extra civil action and extra X resources for building a stage of a wonder."

Thank you. The text makes it much clearer how that card is intended to work.

(Note that it wouldn't necessarily have to say "you have 1 extra civil action" to have a different meaning. If it simply said "Build one stage of a wonder for X fewer resources," it would at least be ambiguous. as to whether it would or wouldn't work with Masonry.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.