Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Monika Żabicka
Poland
Wodzisław Śl.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I've just bought the game, played once and I've got two questions:

1) how to put the leaders at the beginning of the game? they should be placed on arrowed squares starting with the youngest player (btw, what does it mean "starting", from which side?), but these are already worth 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 points on the scoring track. I simply don't get it. it says that it is of no significance how they are put at the start. I DON"T UNDERSTAND how it can be unimportant :(

2) when using "population growth" card can you put your shield on a sea space? the illustartion shows only original land spaces and new shields on land spaces as well. we played with "land spaces only" then the "ship" card was more valuable. but I'm afraid it's not stated clearly in the text on the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Crespi
Italy
Bologna
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Monika,

1) I had the same doubt about "starting". But I came up with this self-explanation:
if the RB says "The youngest player puts his tribal leader on the first of the five start spaces (arrowed)" and one of the spaces is virtually marked as 1, I'll put it on that spaces (think if you play in 3 rather than 5, the first position can't be the 5th place on the scoretrack... 1st and 2nd would remain empty.)
Secondly, the "importance" matter (pun intended): the first player that moves is the one who establish the first country (thus 3 points).

if that player is the one on the 5th space he would advance to 8th space, if it's the 4th to the 7th space and if it's the 3rd,2nd or 1st it would advance to the 6th space.

so, to me is significant where to put your tribal leader at the start... and If I could, I would always chose the 5th space. I don't know what was really intended by Kramer, or if it is a misinterpretation of Steve McKeogh, but that situation clearly helps younger player, and that is in contrast with my prior interpretation about "starting".
Better ask Steve.

2) I recall a FAQ by Kramer, correct me if I wrong, that clarify this: "population growth" allow to put a shield on ANY free space adiacent to one of your shield, so into sea also.

Remember that with "population growth" you have to have at least one of your shield on a coast. With "Ship cards", you can put a shield directly in any free sea space you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve+Jackie McKeogh
United Kingdom
Okehampton
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Stefano contacted me to see if I could give an answer.

1. This was clarified by Wolfgang Kramer in the FAQ so I can give a definite answer - the 'start' player, i.e. the youngest, places his marker on the first arrowed space - which is the one worth 1 point. The next player places his marker on the arrowed space which is worth 2 points, and so on.
You do not get to choose which space you start on!

The wording is as I translated it. There is a difference in points at the start, but for the game as a whole the difference is not significant. The start player gets to go first but starts with the least points. In a game with 4 or 5 players he may benefit from jumping over other markers if he establishes the first country, which compensates for the larger difference in starting points with 4 or 5 players.

2. There is no clarification on this in the FAQ on Wolfgang Kramer's website so unfortunately I cannot give a definite answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.