Popular Tags: [View All]
John Hugo
United States
Matthews
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just recently got a copy of Small World after a local gaming store recommended it based on the games I play now: RISK, Catan, etc.

First Impressions:
1) The artwork for the game is pretty great in my opinion. The colors are vibrant and the races and powers are illustrated nicely.
2) Game pieces are thick and durable - only concern is the number (there are a lot to keep track of, however the very awesome thing about this game is that the game box has compartments for all the pieces. You can tell they put a lot of thought in the storage/ease of starting play for this game. Most games you either have to buy a tackle or craft box or little baggies to separate out pieces.
3) Rulebook was pretty easy to read (nothing too daunting). I did wish the "cheat sheets" were a little smaller so that it did not require a lot of table real estate when playing.
4) The game board(s) look appealing... not quite sure what the optimal number of players to play a decent game is, but I am sure the different boards correlate to balance out the game depending on the number of people playing.

First Play:
4 people played - each a pretty experienced gamer with RISK and other games. The rules were picked up quickly (though not as quickly as I would have liked). We were a little distracted with ordering pizza, eating, and drinking... but once we started, it was easy to get the hang of the game.

1) Definitely like the special power combos and races... will definitely get a lot of replay value from the randomizing and the different combinations.
2) Map seemed to be balanced except with the races that have blockers (hole in the grounds and heroes) and that definitely changed the map and how people reacted to attacks.
3) Most definitely liked how dice rolls were taken out of being a huge factor in the game. Sometimes in RISK you can have a horrible rolling round and your army can get decimated by 2 defenders.... I always hate that.
4) Putting a race in "decline" will have to take some practice (just a different way of thinking/strategy.

Overall, first impression of this game is a great one. I'm a little concerned after reading some forums about the replayability of this game, but so far I have enjoyed it and look forward to the next game night to break this game out again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R A
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice first impressions!

I think the replayability of the game (aside from what the obvious variable start up brings) is pretty high. There's enough different approaches to how you do it to allow a variety of different strategies (depending on the races available), but with enough chaos and different possibilities that it can't simply be 'crunched'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hugo
United States
Matthews
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: First Impressions... (UPDATED)
Played for the 2nd time last night. A 4 player game. First impressions still stand - however I got really hosed last night due to the fact that I did not realize that one of the most important aspects of the game is convincing your opponents that the best course of action is to not attack you or divert their attention to a different portion of board (where you aren't located).

I still think that taking out the 'weakest' player is probably one of the lowest moves you can make (especially when you know that player is not going to win). Really sours the taste of a game, but I brought it upon myself really. I will bounce back, but I will be weary the next time around. I won't listen to other players "advice" and go with my own instincts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.