Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This doesn't seem to be addressed as yet, but this situation came up in a recent four player game. There doesn't appear to be any restriction in the rules from allowing a player to purchase a development card that he cannot use (the player has already developed that particular land type) and placing the card in one of the player's empty barns. In so doing he or she prevents an opponent from buying a development card, perhaps the last available 10 point settlement.

The use of barns in this manner would seem to be an allowable tactical move. Would this be correct?

Gg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamegrunt wrote:
a development card that he cannot use (the player has already developed that particular land type)

You can develop the same land type more than once (but each land tile only once).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

I just opened the thread because of the subject line. That's funny as hell.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Thompson
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
designer
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW YESH
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

I just opened the thread because of the subject line. That's funny as hell.

Sag.

Exactly! Like using barns offensively is pretty standard ops, but this guy has a whole new paradigm to explore...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, raise a legitimate issue and sarcasm erupts. shake

Definition of offensive: "Of or relating to the attempt to score in a game or contest."

Definition of defensive: "of or relating to the attempt to keep and opponent from scoring in a game or contest."

Barns score points (offensive) but the question was if they can be used to keep an opponent from scoring (defensive.)

Werbaer wrote:
Gamegrunt wrote:
a development card that he cannot use (the player has already developed that particular land type)

You can develop the same land type more than once (but each land tile only once).

I've understood (misunderstood?) that a player can only develop one of each of the three different land types - I don't know where this came from - but the rules do not appear to prohibit developing more than one settlement, farmland or pasture.

A whole new New has become apparent! Thanks to all for contributing to the thread, whether their contributions contributed or not.

Gg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kim
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am confused about this.

Are you allowed to purchase development cards you can't use and put them in an empty barn?

I think the purchase rules require you to be able to use ("execute" in the English translation rules here on BGG) the development card to buy it. And purchasing is the only way you can get a card for the barn, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tedhkim wrote:
I am confused about this.

Are you allowed to purchase development cards you can't use and put them in an empty barn?

I think the purchase rules require you to be able to use ("execute" in the English translation rules here on BGG) the development card to buy it. And purchasing is the only way you can get a card for the barn, right?

If you have an empty barn, the rules would not prohibit a development card from being purchased to place in said barn. Of course, if you're keeping it from another player, it would remain in said barn until the conclusion of the game.

Gg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.