JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yet another weekend has come and gone. I'm going to keep this one brief because I am sick today.

Friday, the wife and I got in a game of Stone Age. Mostly indescript, but fun as always. We also tried out Micropul, and played the copy of Phase 10 Dice she picked up.

Saturday we celebrated our anniversary (which I *may* have forgotten a little bit). Luckily I couldn't make it to the DnD session that day, or it would have been major FAIL. No gaming, just a nice meal out with the wife without the urchins.

Sunday was a bit better, we taught her younger brother and his girl friend two new games, Catan and Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game. I think my wife finally agreeing to play LNOE again may have been my anniversary present.

So, bring your mini session reports, and stories of gaming. What did you play this weekend?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played several games of Qwirkle Cubes,and some games we thrifted this weekend: Bausack, Snail's Pace Race, and Roll and Score Poker Game.

The Roll and Score Poker Game was a bit like Yahtzee mixed with Phase 10, with nice wooden dice.

I gave the Snail's Pace Race to a coworker for her grandson, but we wanted to give it a try. Awesome wooden sneeples, nice board.

Bandu has nice wood bits, and I can see it appealing to some of our non-gaming friends. LordDillon liked the pieces, and it was a nice bit of light fun.

Qwirkle Cubes has been our go-to game at the end of the night, when we want something without too much setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marvin
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two weeks of vacation that I am currently enjoying and I'm planning on playing a lot of games. I warned my girlfriend that I want to play Arkham Horror at least once this week and I'm thinking of finally getting to play heroquest for the first time in 20 years.

This weekend we played tantrix a couple of times together with a game of stone age. I cannot win this game for the life of it. I try different tactics, strategies, wild, far fetched throws...nothing seems to work. I've lost this one five times in a row now. Unbelievable.

I lost a game of rollit and did okay on the tantrix.

Nice bit of customer support. I bought the game on Thursday and counted the tiles. I was missing a tile (nr 28) and had one double. I sent the company an e-mail. Friday morning I get a call by a service representative asking which version of the game I bought and his sincere apologies. They would send me the tile asap. Had it in the mail Saturday morning! I was overjoyed and very impressed.

BIG thumbsup for Tantrix Holland.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingsburg - continues to be a favorite, and keeps getting requested
It's Alive! - new math trade acquisition, wins props for underrated fun!
Finca - latest con purchase that has won the hearts of our group
Le Havre - our first four player game of this, showed even more depth than expected.
Manila - absolutely infectious. some loud cheers were likely heard from the street after lucky die rolls.

Was a late night!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Witchey
United States
Laguna Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my homemade version of Qwirkle,6x5, two plays of Thief of Baghdad, Krakow 1325 AD, Medici, and, Kingdoms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Our monthly game day was this past Saturday, and I got in a game of Patrician, one of Shadows over Camelot with Shadows over Camelot: Merlin's Company, a game of Tigris & Euphrates, and a game of thrones Age of Steam on the South Africa map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Soledade
Portugal
Leiria
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
WYG Developer
badge
mb
Not a busy weekend: played Kingsburg after a long break, Edel, Stein & Reich, which is a good game to end up a nice evening and Vasco da Gama a pre-released game of a small publisher that I absoltue love and insist that everybody should try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Friday played Mystery of the Abbey and a couple games of Dominion with intrigue.

In the morning joined Verkisto at the gameday, so
Verkisto wrote:
Our monthly game day was this past Saturday, and I got in a game of Patrician, one of Shadows over Camelot with Shadows over Camelot: Merlin's Company, a game of Tigris & Euphrates, and a game of thrones Age of Steam on the South Africa map.

in the evening played Formula D and Kingsburg

Unusually high number of games, but lots of fun and great time visiting in spite only winning one game of Dominion the whole weekend
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Friday, I played around with Merlin and found that its MasterMind-like game was more difficult than I thought it would be. I guess having the equivalent of ten colors ramped the difficulty up.

Sunday, while I was helping with the kids at church, I got to play the Family Pastimes game Princess a few more times. It's a cooperative game, and one of the kids (a 7-year-old boy) really seemed to enjoy it. This game is short, and it almost always gets played multiple times per session; as a result, it's now my second game to ten plays in 2009.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emiel Van Marwijk
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played SC with a friend of mine.
Nice battle's and in the 4th game i made a true lucky shot with my Chaos Marine with Hweapon against 3 Space Marines, i hit target area with a 6point hit, the other Marines on either side of the one Marine that was utterly desroyed were hit with a 3point "blast".
One shot, 3 kills ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toby Otero
United States
Monroe
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a kid-game weekend with tons of Loopin' Louie and Zitternix with my wife, daughter and nephew. I recieved my pre-ordered copy of Martians!!! (which I have yet to play. And I rounded off the weekend with a massive game of Apples to Apples with a bunch of friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Rutz
United States
Onalaska
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For starters we played Mille Bornes,
followed by Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers,
and ended the weekend with Tinners' Trail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
Played 4 games of Wasabi! and loved every one of them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex lockhart
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I played a game of Warhammer 40k. We actually recorded the game as well with pictures and video of the armies. It was are first attempt at making a miniature game 'battle report'. We added in commentary and stuff afterwords to make a video of it.

We also played some dominion, we just got it at origins and have played it probably 50+ times sense then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Played 2 games of Pirateer with the family. I won one, daughter won the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Games, games and more games!
mbmbmbmbmb
Friday night was our regular game night, with 4 of us present. We played:
Tulipmania 1637, the new JKLM release - I'd be interested to try again now we understand the rules
Age of Steam Expansion #1: England & Ireland - on the England map - the low shares strategy won the day
The Princes of Machu Picchu - playing this a lot at the moment in an attempt to learn the strategies
Factory Fun
Ra
Tichu - a few hands to finish the night with

Then Saturday night was our annual BBQ. The main focus of the evening is not games (unless volleyball counts), but after it gets dark we do traditionally pull out a couple of lighter party games. This time was no exception and we played:
Dancing Eggs - unfortunately couldn't find our second set, so with 6 people and just one set was over rather quickly, but caused amusement
Pass the Bomb - we play this with categories (using the Tell Me: The Grand Quiz Game cards) rather than the word game, and good fun was had by all - the most amusing to my memory being the guy who faced with Fairy Tales - and Hansel and Gretel the only one mentioned - couldn't think of a single other one!
Things... - We were given this by one of the attendees last year and it worked well with 6, however I think 9 was a few too many and it outstayed its welcome, but it did cause some amusement.

Sunday after the BBQ is traditionally a games day, a chance to introduce non-gamers who might be interested to our kind of games. This time we had 9 people attending, most of whom who have played Eurogames before to some degree, but also two completely new to the hobby. We played a wide variety of games, and there were two tables going on, so I wasn't in the Carcassonne or Show Manager games, but the ones I played were:
Meander x 2 - waiting for people to get up and get breakfast
Jumbo & Co - as a filler while one person was finishing their breakfast
Unnamed Object - while more people were arriving (this was definitely a "running early is good" game, with the person who ran after the first large treasure or artifact turned up every time winning easily, and three players ending up with no treasure at all as they kept getting caught by traps).
Vegas Showdown x 2 - the theme for this appealed to a couple of people who hadn't tried it, so was chosen from the pile of suggestions. I then played it again later in the day, as one of those who missed out the first time around wanted a game.
Schrille Stille - another light entry-level game that I have good success with - one of the new players loved it, the other was a little less sure (felt they had no control!).
Time's Up! - A party game I thought would appeal to one of the people present - and she was amazing at it, having almost a psychic link with her partner. Her son, aged 14, also wanted to try, but his age proved to be a slight problem, as he knew too few of the people in the game. Always fun though!
Trias - We were down to one table and one of the players fancied a slightly heavier game, so chose this. It turned out that the two new players came first and second, despite one of them not really understanding the game, which was weird!
GiftTRAP - A recent party game purchase that works well with most groups I've tried it with, as long as you have 5 or more - have played it a lot with 4, but it doesn't really work as well.
For Sale x 2 - I remembered that one of the players liked this, so pulled it out, and she then asked to play it again! A great hit with casual gamers.
Vampire - This was a surprise hit. We were looking for a light card game to finish with, and this was pulled out of box, and it turned out to work really well. One to pull out again with casual gamers I think! The only problem appeared to be colour issues with the purple and black vampire cards.

All in all a fun weekend of gaming, although of the lighter variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My weekend got off to a slow start - I'd hoped to squeeze in some gaming on Saturday, but it turned into movie night. Fortunately Sunday was our monthly game guild meeting.

We started off the afternoon with Man Bites Dog, which is Scott's new favorite icebreaker. We didn't really play for points, just to get people's brains working.

With just 6 of us there, we looked at our options to do a 6-player game. When I mentioned Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game, Liz & Austin (new devotees to the show) begged to play it, so we set it up and had a great time. You can read my session report about it, if you're interested.

That took up most of the afternoon, so our guests politely took their leave. Scott and I were still up for a bit more, so we played a round of Carcassonne, using the Inns & Cathedrals expansion. I won by a very small margin (6 points), which was remarkable because Scott was so far behind for much of the game.

Sadly next weekend I won't have any games to play - I'm on the road for work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
As I arrived late at the gamesday, I sat out for a while watching and kibitzing for a while before starting up a 4-player game of Container after one of the tables ended their games of Power Boats. Container went well with all three new players catching onto the core emergent properties of the system.

A few phone calls later and a game of 1830: The Game of Railroads and Robber Barons was being scheduled over at a friend's house. It turned out to be a 4-player game which we started right after dinner. It ended, as so many 4-player games do, with a bankruptcy. Final scores were ~$1,800, ~$1,400, ~$1,300 (bankrupt), and ~$900. I was relatively happy with my position when bankruptcy hit as I'd managed to buy all three 5-trains into the NYC and Erie and it wasn't clear how good the diesels would be.

Following 1830 we played a 4-player Corner Lot. I remain impressed with how strong the patterning is in this game. Blush.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Booker Hooker
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a slow weekend for games. I only got in one solo play of World of Warcraft Miniatures Game, though it has been set up for days and it taunts me everytime I walk by it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Newell
Canada
Prince George
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The weekend started to look pretty grim for gaming. On Friday night nothing got played. On Saturday our gaming friends called to say they might not be over that night as they had lots of work to do.

Just as I was about to give up on Saturday, they showed up!! They brought over their new copy of Steam which we muddled through and discovered we missed a few rules which would have made more sense. Three of the 4 of us thought the game was severely broken and really sucked if we were playing it correctly. Thankfully we weren't and the correct version made A LOT more sense and fixed things. We will have to try this one the correct way again.

On Sunday it was time to laze about and I managed to talk my wife into doing nothing most of the day. So with my daughters and her we managed to get in a few games.

We started off with Aquaretto. My 7 yr old daughter chose this one to get things going. And I can see why. She came in second by beating my wife and giving me a real run for my money. Thank goodness for my hippos!

Then we decided to play cooperatively and broke out Pandemic. The three of us lost the first game pretty quickly when the Asian epidemic overwhelmed us badly. The second game was looking pretty bleak as well, but just as we got to 7 outbreaks, we managed to pull off the win and saved the planet.

Then my youngest daughter (4yr old) wanted to play a game so she brought out Littlest Pet Shop Game. She clobbered me and her older sister in the first game. The second game was much closer but my 7 yr old pulled off the victory.

Next, my wife and I decided to break out Camelot Legends which we have had for awhile but never really played. In the first game I was out to a good lead with Arthur as the High King, until he was met with some treachery and Lancelot stole the title from him and gave the victory to my wife. The second game I learned from her treasonous ways and stole the High King title away from Sir Percival and gave it to Sir Lionel which, like his namesake, gave me a runaway train-like victory.

After that My wife and I and 7 yr old daughter wrapped up the gaming sessions for the day by playing a game of Cartagena 2. The Pirate's Nest. Those scurvy dogs were no match for my mateys as we went on to victory!

To finish the evening I punched out my new copy of Britannia to get ready to start to learn how to play that one!

Good weekend that went from bad to great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Kameoka
United States
San Gabriel
California
flag msg tools
mb

Warlock (RPG)
Champions (RPG)
Stone Age
Dominion
Dominion: Intrigue
The Hanging Gardens
Saint Petersburg
Too Many Cooks
Evo
Race for the Galaxy
Shadow Hunters

Lots of fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Verstraete
Belgium
Ooike
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

We played

friday's: Dominion x2
Stoom aka Steam (first time)

saturday: Agricola

sunday: Dominion
Settlers
Agricola

Did not win one time, this is going to affect my statistics. Damn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeDowd wrote:
Learned and won Ghost Stories

You must have played something wrong
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just Another User
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Saturday: John's going-away party at Games Plus, Mt. Prospect, IL

Le Havre, 3 players; I was consistently 0.5-1 step behind the other players in every way in the "long game". My first play in quite some time, and 2nd overall.

Ra, 5 players; had a great first round, then didn't accomplish squat the rest of the game. Had a lot of fun, though. First play in a couple of months.

Vegas Showdown, 3 players; My first play with my brand-new copy, but with the History of the World game still going on, I couldn't recruit more than 2 others to play. I like this game much better with 5 players and the more intense competition for the rooms. Finished last with a vengeance again.

No Thanks!, 3 players; played 3 times, each of us won once. My very favorite lite game, easy to play and set up, I enjoy the metagame that surrounds the very simple choice between two actions; perfect to fill the 20 minutes I had until the wife came to pick me up for dinner.

Thanks everyone for the plays!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I want to believe
badge
*distinctive theme song whistle*
mbmbmbmbmb
Several games of Dominion + Dominion: Intrigue and several more of Race for the Galaxy + Race for the Galaxy: The Gathering Storm with my wife. We split the wins on each game pretty evenly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.