Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review of a great game. However, I can understand why there might be some confusion as to why dogs would drift to the opposite direction: they don't. It seems that you got that part of the rules backwards. My copy is the original Fragor edition, but the rules are most likely the same:

Snow Tails Rules Book wrote:
The sled drifts towards the dog pulling hardest. (e.g. a sled with Canine Cards of 3-5 would cause a drift 2 to the right).

Keep up the great reviews!

Jim

edit: typo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Davis
United States
Sewickley
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review. I really enjoy this game. A couple of rules that you got wrong in the review.

1) The sled drifts in the direction of the fastest dog, not the slowest. Realistically, it should drift towards the slowest, but that is not the rule.

2) It wasn't explicitly said, but you made it seem like hitting another sled causes you to get a dent card. This is not correct. You just immediately stop and cannot refill your hand back up to 5. Only going too fast in the corner, or hitting the side of the track gives you dent cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Davis
United States
Sewickley
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You beat me to it.

jimmcmahon wrote:
My copy is the original Fragor edition, but the rules are most likely the same

I have the Asmodee version, and it also states that you drift towards the faster dog.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Brune
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
HEY! That TICKLES!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm always happy to see a review of a favorite game - it's a nice "marketing tool", getting newbies to watch it before I introduce it at a game night.

I agree with Jim though... I've got the Asmodee version and the sled always drifts in the direction of the dog pulling the hardest.

Also, a bit of attention-to detail nit-picking...

1) You're playing blue cards onto a black sled and using the red piece along with it?

2) Some of the track parts seem to be backward... the red flags should always be on the right (to make it easier to orient the sleds... the sled mats also have red flags on the right, so you can figure out which way you're going without having to turn the whole mat to the same orientation as the wooden sled piece (though that helps too).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guilherme Goulart
Brazil
Sao Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good review, Tom.

I agree with you regarding this game: it's fun, it has a great theme and it feels like a great race game and yet it's not easy for everyone to control the steering.

I've had a few players who've run into some serious analysis paralysis but it's really just a few. I can imagine where kids would have a hard time on this too.

Snow Tails provides good fun, laughs and a great time all around.

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Gruumsh wrote:
Also, a bit of attention-to detail nit-picking...

1) You're playing blue cards onto a black sled and using the red piece along with it?

2) Some of the track parts seem to be backward... the red flags should always be on the right.

Yeah, I noticed that too.

One thing that I miss from the review is some attention to the curves. After explaining how the sleds drift, showing how that drift is necessary to negotiate those curves would have been illustrative to people new to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy George
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ruskicowboy wrote:
Realistically, it should drift towards the slowest, but that is not the rule.

I believe dog sleds actually use ropes to hold the dogs rather than a wooden yoke like on a wagon...
They would turn / be dragged towards the faster dog. ninja
At least that is how I have taken to explaining it to my game groups
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ruskicowboy wrote:
1) The sled drifts in the direction of the fastest dog, not the slowest. Realistically, it should drift towards the slowest, but that is not the rule.
Nope, doesn't work that way. The dog that pulls the hardest pulls away from the slower dog in a natural reaction to get maximum traction (to stop itself being pulled sideways).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds great but since I own Ave Caesar do I need this? Is it different enough?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Bob
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review, but another possible rules misunderstanding:
you do not take damage cards for running into other players.
(going off 1st ed rules)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Davis
United States
Sewickley
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shieldwolf wrote:
Sounds great but since I own Ave Caesar do I need this? Is it different enough?

We have found that Snow Tails requires a lot more planning and thinking than Ave Caesar, and as such, fits the bill nicely when we don't have time to play Formula D. I really enjoy Ave Caesar, and it hits the table when we want a quick "filler" game at the end of the night (when our brains are tired). Snow Tails comes out at the beginning of the night for a quick brain burner. I see no problem having both in your collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.