Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the look of these little plastic bases, they're lower profile and more transparent, but the little teeth in them are still too tight. My daughter's first attempt with one tore the edge of a counter, and my attempt, while a bit more successful, left three pronounced divots in the tile.

I can't remember when FFG started using these (Dunwich?), but they're aggravating. I still use the original white plastic "flex" bases.

Anyone have any ideas about using these clear plastic bases so that they don't damage your tiles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
South of You
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Run an emery board through the slot to file the teeth down a little. I haven't tried it, as I don't mind the tight bases (I just leave the bases on all the time), but it should work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
They started using them in the Dunwich reprint but Kingsport was when them made their first official appearance.

We had purchased a bunch of the old bases from the UK but I am out of those. It sounded like there was somebody local that was selling them. We need to get their contact info on the main page.

The bases are meant to be "permanent" and not switched around. This works well with games like Android where there are only 5 characters total or BSG and they give enough for all of them. But with Arkham being up to 48 characters and not that many stands, it just isn't practical to keep switching them around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also use the bases as an easy way to note the monster limit in Arkham (use X bases, if no base available it goes to Outskirts), so I'm constantly putting monster tokens in and out of the bases.

I tried a bit of filing myself, and it worked in terms of avoiding tearing, but the crimping didn't change a lot. I suppose I could really go to town on them so they barely "grab."

Oh well, thanks for the thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
But with Arkham being up to 46 characters and not that many stands, it just isn't practical to keep switching them around.

Brian, buddy, 48 investigators. Okay, 46 if you disregard Patrice and Daisy .

Second, the game + expansions comes with the same amount of stands (48) as investigators, so you shouldn't be forced to switch them around (each big box comes with 8+8 or 16+16).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Yeah, 48. Hit the wrong key on the laptop.

As far as the stands, most people have the 16 original stands, and possibly 8 more in the same style. They then have 24-32 in the new style (depending when they got Dunwich). So for those that have OCD and want all their investigators to have the same stands, no one, unless they traded or bought them, has a complete set of 48 stands that are of the same style.

In addition, I liked to take my stands off my investigators for two reasons. 1) they store better and storage space is at a premium with this game and 2) I like to randomly draw my investigators by pulling their token from a bag instead of trying to shuffle the cards.

So in both respects, I loved the non-damaging flexibility of the original stands. Hate the new FFG stands for this game, but like them in the other games so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
In addition, I liked to take my stands off my investigators for two reasons. 1) they store better and storage space is at a premium with this game

This. Independent from the space is the possibility of pressure bending or breaking a tile (or base) while stored.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Has
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge

I guess I was lucky, because everyone of mine has the same "new" style base. I haven't purchased Innsmouth yet, but it has the newer style anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
As far as the stands, most people have the 16 original stands, and possibly 8 more in the same style. They then have 24-32 in the new style (depending when they got Dunwich). So for those that have OCD and want all their investigators to have the same stands, no one, unless they traded or bought them, has a complete set of 48 stands that are of the same style.

Hmm, I have 48x of the same, clear stand (Revised base, not sure about the other boxes), all in one ziplock.

I do take off the stands after each game. They leave 3 small grooves on the investigator piece, but after 2 games (since my OCD "forces" me to flip it after the first game, so the grooves are on both sides) haven't seen any wear and tear, since the spokes in the stands now slide into the grooves. At least they hold the investigator pieces, unlike old-school Talisman stands (or even the BI 4th edition ones, some of them at least).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Hmm. I guess if you waited long enough to get the base game, you would start off having all the same type.

All I know is I am glad I got extra of the flexible type. I have enough for the monsters and enough colored ones to rotate through my investigators.

For those want similar, hopefully that can find them easy enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like Tibs/kungfro, I have Doom as well, so if I wanted, I could get non-grooving ones to use from that. But clear > white for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
my OCD "forces" me to flip it after the first game, so the grooves are on both sides

Man, I would think your OCD wouldn't allow you to put grooves on your tiles in the first place. If you get that initial slot off-center, what do you do then? Apologize to your OCD? Offer it candy? No, what you do then is cower in a corner and whimper a little, as your OCD starts throwing stuff (but nothing breakable) and cursing (but nothing too profane) and calling expensive european pr0n numbers with your credit card. I don't take chances like that, not after what happened in March.

Wait, what?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
I glued mine in. Couldn't stand to watch as they slowly tore to pieces.

Bought a closeable plastic tackle box. I leave mine set up, since there's no one around but me. I've got eight characters in each slot, standing up, in alphabetical order, so that when a new character is needed, all I have to do is look for the right face.

If I need to tear it down, all I have to do is lay them down and close the lid.

Ashcan Pete is under A.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
apatheticexecutioner wrote:
Ashcan Pete is under A.

Unfortunately, I have to file him under " along with "Skids" now. Excel recognizes the " before the A so that is how I have to sort them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
waddball wrote:
Man, I would think your OCD wouldn't allow you to put grooves on your tiles in the first place. If you get that initial slot off-center, what do you do then? Apologize to your OCD? Offer it candy? No, what you do then is cower in a corner and whimper a little, as your OCD starts throwing stuff (but nothing breakable) and cursing (but nothing too profane) and calling expensive european pr0n numbers with your credit card. I don't take chances like that, not after what happened in March.

Wait, what?

I don't mind grooves, as long as they are on the same spot on both sides . And that's easy to accomplish. Games are meant to be played, not collected . Also, like I said, after the first two games, there is very little if any tearing. Initial slot off-center? What, you just slap it in there haphazardly? Not me, no sir.

As for p0rn, don't have a credit card (or a cell phone), so there cool .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neon Joe, Werewolf He-yump
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I just stuck clear scotch tape on the bottom of each character token, since I prefer the clear style bases and store my characters without bases.

Now those little teeth slide in and out, leaving nothing but a groove behind cool

(Incidentally, I also clipped the corners of the character tokens to prevent wear devil )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.