Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Combat Commander: Pacific» Forums » General

Subject: How do you keep track of what's been activated? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sylvain Martel
Canada
Stoneham
Qc
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
During our first game it struck us that there seem to be no mechanic or counters in the game to allow us to keep track of what unit got activated or not. In small scenario it's not too bad but I see some have alot of units.

So, do you use glass stones, counters from another game, something else?

-Sylvain
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M·ANTONIVS·M·F·M·N
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Mein Luftkissenfahrzeug ist voller Aale
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
we turn them sideways
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Martel
Canada
Stoneham
Qc
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So simple... Can you believe it never crossed our mind..blush
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Trust me, your opponent will know when you've activated a unit that you can't!
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never seen this to be an issue. Even in large scenarios, you are unlikely to have more than 4 activations in a turn. It's easy to just remember.

The trickier bit is being clear about *exactly* what you are activating when you wake up a leader. It's far too easy to "activate all these guys" then later realize you wanted to reserve one or two for something else.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Olvenskol wrote:

The trickier bit is being clear about *exactly* what you are activating when you wake up a leader. It's far too easy to "activate all these guys" then later realize you wanted to reserve one or two for something else.


Never -cough- done that -cough-! whistle
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
Olvenskol wrote:

The trickier bit is being clear about *exactly* what you are activating when you wake up a leader. It's far too easy to "activate all these guys" then later realize you wanted to reserve one or two for something else.


Never -cough- done that -cough-! whistle


"So, when I activated all those guys, I didn't mean *this* guy"...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Olvenskol wrote:
Malacandra wrote:
Olvenskol wrote:

The trickier bit is being clear about *exactly* what you are activating when you wake up a leader. It's far too easy to "activate all these guys" then later realize you wanted to reserve one or two for something else.


Never -cough- done that -cough-! whistle


"So, when I activated all those guys, I didn't mean *this* guy"...


Well I'm sure YOU meant him but I didn't when it was my turn. laugh
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Appleton
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's never been an issue in the games I've played because unlike a lot of tactical wargames, you will not have the capacity to activate all your units in a single turn (well, at least until the casualties start to stack up...)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TeufelHund wrote:
It's never been an issue in the games I've played because unlike a lot of tactical wargames, you will not have the capacity to activate all your units in a single turn (well, at least until the casualties start to stack up...)


Actually, assuming you have the cards (orders), you should be able to activate them all. I think the worst leader/unit ratio is the italians at 1:6, and you can still stick 6 units around a 1 leader and activate them all.

The better sides have 1:4 (americans or brits, i think americans?) and 1:3 (germans) which makes it very easy to activate all the units on the field.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bishop
United Kingdom
Lytham St. Annes
Lancashire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kinwolf wrote:
During our first game it struck us that there seem to be no mechanic or counters in the game to allow us to keep track of what unit got activated or not. In small scenario it's not too bad but I see some have alot of units.

So, do you use glass stones, counters from another game, something else?

-Sylvain


Use Vassal, does it all for you

cool
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SSgt. Crapgame
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Late to this thread but I use small plastic beads that you can pick up at any home craft store. You can pick up a bag of multi-color beads for about 3 bucks, they are used for creating necklaces. I use red for activated, green for op-fire and yellow to show where an activated leader started his activation from. The nice thing about the beads is that they are super easy to pick up off the board unlike cardboard counters.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Arena
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with Tony - facing doesn't matter in CC, so turning the counters seems to be the least cumbersome method.

Although I have been known to forget *cough* about units activated for OP Fire...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Swan
Australia
Randwick
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thing you can plonk on a chit to indicate activation is a tile spacer, as bought from a hardware store in bags of 100 for a couple of bucks. The 3mm deep ones are easier to pick up than say the 1.5mm ones.

Disclaimer: I got this idea from the CoH designer
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.