Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Contemptus Mundi
United States
Cedar City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to figure out why some guest cards have positive or negative numbers on them? For instance, The Whiskers the Cat card has three -5 symbols on the front. However, when you kill off the cat the numbers aren't visible once you flip the card to its deceased side! What purpose do these numbers serve?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cain
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Evil-Do That I Do-Do
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't end the game if you have a guest who is alive, and you can't kill any character who isn't at least somewhat negative. So the guests are just there to make it tougher to end the game, but the cat specifically has a good effect, but you lose it if you kill off the Whiskers.

I was thinking the same exact thing this past week while playing with this expansion for the first time, then I got into the end game, and they made sense.

LA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contemptus Mundi
United States
Cedar City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhhh... so the cat can be killed off early just because he has negative numbers, but you won't get any points for him unless you put some modifiers on top of his already negative numbers.

Thanks for the fast response. It usually takes an eternity to get a response for Gloom!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contemptus Mundi
United States
Cedar City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just happened to check the Atlas Game sites's FAQ and found out that the points count for the guests after they're killed.

From the FAQ:

Quote:
Q: Let say you have Whiskers (from Unwelcome Guests), who is worth +5 in category base. If the cat gets killed and is flipped over are those points then gone? So its modifiers would be the only thing that count?

The base points DO count. Technically, it would have made the most sense to have the guests printed with scores on both sides to address this, but the clear plastic makes this impossible. As it is, simply don't flip guests if their scores are showing.

http://www.atlas-games.com/gloom/gloomfaq.php

Oops!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.