Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eggie and I finally got to catch the movie yesterday. Also, I just finished my second time through the book, so the details of both are still fresh on the mind.

Great transitions from book to movie

- Slughorn-as-couch

- Apparition effects

I wish it made the movie

- The Other Prime Minister. It was a fantastic way to start the book. It played a great game of catch-up and really set the tone for things to come.

- The Gaunts. Obviously cut for running time, but the tale of Merope is still a good (albeit sad) one.

- A more detailed explanation as to why Snape calls himself the Half-Blood Prince.

- Dumbledore's Funeral

- Dumbledore's line after the young Riddle asks if speaking to snakes is a common trait among wizards: "Unusual, but not unheard of."

I wish it made the book

- Slughorn's story of the fish given to him by Lily Potter. Heartbreaking.

Glad it didn't make the book

- What was the purpose of the Death Eater attack at the Burrow?

- Eggie's "Say Whaaa?!" is Ginny's attempt to seduce Harry by tying his shoes.

Glad it didn't make the movie

- Harry's Spider-Man break-up speech to Ginny.

Speaking of Spider-Man...

The James Franco in Spider-Man 3 Award Goes To...

- Tom Felton as Draco Malfoy

Just how old is he anyway?

- Slughorn looks to be in his 40s during the Pensieve scenes. That would put him in his 90s today. I guess being potions master, he can brew some mean age-defying(R) potions.

Overall impression

So far, this was probably the most difficult of the books to adapt. While I would put the previous 3 installments over this one, it's still better than the Chris Colombus-helmed ones. The look and feel of the film is by far the best of the series. I enjoyed it, though I'm guessing those who haven't read the book will be hopelessly lost.

Here's hoping splitting up #7 into two movies won't be nearly as bad an idea as I think it will be. (What will the first one be, 2 hours of them camping? That's pretty much what the first half of the book was.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L C

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know what I really hate in the movies? The "spontaneous" bursting into laughter scene that the kids all share in that lasts for 5 minutes. I remember thinking, "This is so damn fake. They're still laughing? Why are they still laughing? Whatever they are laughing about wasn't even that funny. And they are STILL laughing. Seriously, more magic, less nonsensical laughter."

In the 6th one, it is the "Dumbledore is so old, how old is he, he's so old, he's 150!" conversation that sets off the annoying and fake laughing bout.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Casiglio
United States
Ansonia
CT
flag msg tools
ConnCon 2018 March 23, 24, 25 in Stamford, CT
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
... though I'm guessing those who haven't read the book will be hopelessly lost.

I'd say no. Not me, anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Casiglio
United States
Ansonia
CT
flag msg tools
ConnCon 2018 March 23, 24, 25 in Stamford, CT
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eggplantia5 wrote:

In the 6th one, it is the "Dumbledore is so old, how old is he, he's so old, he's 150!" conversation that sets off the annoying and fake laughing bout.

I heard that in the preview as "50" ... which was a lot funnier than when I heard it correctly in the theater.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.