Popular Tags: [View All]
Bess A.
United States
Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I think we've tried each creature now at least once. But I'm totally thrown by how easy it is to kill anything but the troll.

It's just not that hard for a red-banner unit to roll a banner hit or bonus strike, and then reroll one or two die for another banner hit.

Maybe it's just coincidental, or maybe we're playing it wrong but we've never gotten our creatures (again, other than the troll) to live long enough to do much damage, or even try all of the power-ups.

It's hard to feel like it's worthwhile to sacrifice a level of your war-council for this.

Anyone else felt that way? Anyone have any house-rules to help out? We've started experimenting with some possibilities (eg. only banner rolls count for the initial hit, no matter what unit type is attacking).

I'd love to hear some ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Am I a man or am I a muppet? If I'm a muppet then I'm a very manly muppet!
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you need to rethink how you use the creatures.

- Put the Spider in a woods hex to bolster the morale of the troops around it & harass troops as they move in. The 2 dice limit will keep it in pretty good shape.
- The Giant should not be leaving his rock pile unless there's a very good reason... and you need to set the rock pile where he has a clear area of fire for his boulders.
- I've had less experience w/the Earth Elemental, so I'd ask others to comment.

I think the problem is that those of us with a lot of fantasy background see "monster" and stop thinking about winning the battle as an army.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Mark nails it.

The mistake is that many see creature's as a nuke or one-man army and send them in without backup. They are rather fragile and need to be used in more creative and non-traditional ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kostek
United States
Camano Island
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Here's my $0.02.

I think creatures are an interesting trade-off in BL.

As you say, they can be somewhat fragile, dying at unexpected moments. On the other hand, they provide specific on-the-board punch. That same level transferred to the lore council won't ever go away, but it's somewhat nebulous. The incremental difference between a 5 level lore council and 6 level isn't so large.

Realize that a die from a melee combat has a little over a 5% chance of killing a creature. That's *each* die. By the time you add up several dice, the chance starts to climb quickly.

Hence, creatures should avoid red units. Also, wading into the middle of a bunch of enemy equals death.

Nice thing about the spider is the range. You can swing around behind enemies, cutting off their retreats.

Nice thing about the hill giant is the ranged attack.

Nice thing about all creatures is the ability to order out of section.

If you want the safe bet, go w/ the lore council levels. If you want a wild ride, go w/ the creature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bess A.
United States
Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gamemark wrote:
Maybe you need to rethink how you use the creatures.

I think the problem is that those of us with a lot of fantasy background see "monster" and stop thinking about winning the battle as an army.

Very insightful blush I think that might be a big part of the problem for us.

Everyone has had very useful comments.

ColtsFan76 wrote:
They are rather fragile and need to be used in more creative and non-traditional ways.

kostek wrote:
Hence, creatures should avoid red units. Also, wading into the middle of a bunch of enemy equals death.
I also appreciate Ted's itemized analysis.

I think part of the issue we had with the spider is exactly as everyone described, rather than thinking of creature=tank, we need to use the nimbleness of the spider to our advantage, and perhaps hide him in the forest for protection.

I think our problem with the hill giant might be that we used him in a scenario calling for a generic creature, and didn't think to use the rockpile tile.

I will try these suggestions out before we go down the path of modifying the rules.

Thank you everyone for your insight!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a game where where each side had a giant.

Turn one, a lucky bow shot killed my opponent's giant. Blue hit. Blue on the crit'.

For the rest of the game, my opponent tried to take out my giant. He would put two or three hits on it at a time, but he could never get that needed blue crit'!

As others have said, they can be powerful, but a creature generally can't wade in by themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.