Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nurse Foxfire
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys!

Three more questions that we haven't been able to clarify:

1) (an odd-ball situation that happened last night)

I was down to 1 San, 1 Stam when I returned from an Other World to close and seal a gate using an Elder Sign. Obviously, I needed to lose 1 of each to use the Elder Sign card, driving me both Insane AND Unconscious. What happens next? Do I go to the Asylum? The Hospital? Toss a coin? Do I lose 1/2 of my items for each loss (so, 1/2 for the San loss and then 1/2 again for the Stam loss?

We played it that I got to choose where I ended up, and only lost 1/2 of my items total, but if that's wrong I'd like to know in case it happens again.

2) (another odd-ball situation that happened last night)

My husband had Duke the Dog, who can be discarded to "immediately replenish all lost sanity". He was fighting the Hound of Tyndalos and got dropped to 0 San. Would he then have been able to discard Duke and avoid the San loss and continue his fight, or should he have gone Temp. Insane (and been bounced to the Asylum)?

3) (a quibble more than anything)

Monster surge when a Mythos Card is played. The Outskirts already had several monsters in it, and when the surge was added it pushed over the limit. Should the excess be put back into the monster cup before drawing whatever the 'balance' of monster should go into the Outskirts?

example:
a. 5 monsters in the outskirts
b. 6 monsters enter on a surge
c. the first 2 monsters bring the Outskirts to overflowing, so all 7 of them now get dumped
d. 4 more monsters are now pulled from the cup to go into the Outskirts

my question deals with the monsters in "c." Do they get dumped into the monster cup before you draw the monsters in "d."?

Again, thanks for any insight!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Snyder
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Shouldn't you be playing a game with me instead of wasting time on the Internet?
mbmbmbmbmb
NurseFoxfire wrote:
Hey guys!

Three more questions that we haven't been able to clarify:

1) (an odd-ball situation that happened last night)

I was down to 1 San, 1 Stam when I returned from an Other World to close and seal a gate using an Elder Sign. Obviously, I needed to lose 1 of each to use the Elder Sign card, driving me both Insane AND Unconscious. What happens next? Do I go to the Asylum? The Hospital? Toss a coin? Do I lose 1/2 of my items for each loss (so, 1/2 for the San loss and then 1/2 again for the Stam loss?

Alas, you are devoured. Bask in your noble sacrifice, and start another character.

Quote:

2) (another odd-ball situation that happened last night)

My husband had Duke the Dog, who can be discarded to "immediately replenish all lost sanity". He was fighting the Hound of Tyndalos and got dropped to 0 San. Would he then have been able to discard Duke and avoid the San loss and continue his fight, or should he have gone Temp. Insane (and been bounced to the Asylum)?

You have to discard Duke before the horror check, so its off to the Asylum.

Quote:

3) (a quibble more than anything)

Monster surge when a Mythos Card is played. The Outskirts already had several monsters in it, and when the surge was added it pushed over the limit. Should the excess be put back into the monster cup before drawing whatever the 'balance' of monster should go into the Outskirts?

example:
a. 5 monsters in the outskirts
b. 6 monsters enter on a surge
c. the first 2 monsters bring the Outskirts to overflowing, so all 7 of them now get dumped
d. 4 more monsters are now pulled from the cup to go into the Outskirts

my question deals with the monsters in "c." Do they get dumped into the monster cup before you draw the monsters in "d."?

Again, thanks for any insight!

I'm not as sure about the answer to this one, but we play it that all monsters are draw from the cup before the monsters from the outskirts are put back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Two of the answers are correct from above. I just wanted to elaborate.

1) If your Sanity and Stamina are reduced to zero at the same time, you are devoured. This is in the rules.

2) The reason you can't use Duke in this manner is that an encounter, once started, cannot be interrupted. So Duke can be used before you draw for an encounter, or after it is fully resolved, but not during. There are only a few exceptions to this and those are explicitly noted.

3) Even if you have a surge, you still deal with each monster individually. You return monsters to the cup as you go so in your step C, those monsters are returned before you would draw the monsters for Step D. So it is possible to draw those monsters again that you just discarded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nurse Foxfire
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarifications!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Man Unmasked
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
www.inkshares.com/books/the-professional-corpse
badge
My Prepping to Publish Happy Dance
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:

3) Even if you have a surge, you still deal with each monster individually. You return monsters to the cup as you go so in your step C, those monsters are returned before you would draw the monsters for Step D. So it is possible to draw those monsters again that you just discarded.

Are you sure? The wording sounds like you draw all surge monsters, then place them. But then, it wouldn't be the first time ruling has been ambiguous. Also, I just have the main rules to go on, so I've not seen any errata or FAQs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddie Foulds
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
designer
Come play games at Newcastle Gamers!
badge
The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.
mbmbmbmbmb
In answer to 3), my group always plays it like Brian states - each monster is dealt with separately. Therefore, in your example, you'd be left with 4 monsters in the outskirts after the monster surge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
dumwytgi wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

Are you sure? The wording sounds like you draw all surge monsters, then place them. But then, it wouldn't be the first time ruling has been ambiguous. Also, I just have the main rules to go on, so I've not seen any errata or FAQs.

The "official" means is to determine how many monsters get drawn, determine where they are going, and then draw them and place them in the order you decided.

The point of that is so you don't draw a monster and then decide, Oh, he's tough let's put him in the Outskirts or he's easy put him by my location.

But what I meant by "treat them individually" is that step where you still determine where they are going. You look at each monster as if it were coming out on its own and determine if it needs to go to the outskirts or Dunwich or whatever. You don't treat them as one large group and say they all go to the Outskirts or they all go to the cup. Each is dealt with on its own merit.

But like I said, you do this "calculation" and determin how many are going where and then you draw the monsters and place them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.