Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to those who voted in the Top 20 round which you can see -> here. 53 users participated with a total of 667 votes cast.

As a comparison to the Best Sci-fi Films poll, the Series are significantly different. All the Top 20 films scored well. In the Series competition there are nearly as many Best/Awesome votes cast, but they are concentrated on the favourites. Voting also seems more 'faction-based'. Fanboys?

Three Doctor Who splits had made it into the Top 20. One of them missed the cut for the Top 8: Doctor Who (William Hartnell, Patrick Troughton, Jon Pertwee, 1963-1974).
Two Treks had made it into the Top 20 and both of them make the Top 8.

An early indicator of the eventual winner is the films with the most "Best" ratings. Here are all those that got the most 'Best's, with 10 or more:

26 Firefly
16 Doctor Who (Christopher Eccleston, David Tennant, 2005-2009)
14 Babylon 5
13 Star Trek: The Next Generation
13 Star Trek (1960s)
10 Red Dwarf

Firefly re-takes its position at the top of the 'Bests' list, with old Trek plummeting from #1 to #5. Babylon 5 continues to climb. But this Top 6 are the same in content as the last poll. So who out of the strong also-rans from the last poll would fill those last 2 slots? The runners are:

Battlestar Galactica (2000s)
Doctor Who (Tom Baker) 1974-1981
The X-Files
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Mystery Science Theatre 3000
The Prisoner

In this next poll I have narrowed it down to the Top 8 based on average ratings. To calculate this I awarded points for each rating: Best (4), Awesome (3), Great (2), Good (1), Okay (0).

The Top Ten based on average rating for the last round are:

Firefly
Doctor Who (Christopher Eccleston, David Tennant, 2005-2009)
Star Trek: The Next Generation
Babylon 5
Star Trek (1960s)
Red Dwarf
The Prisoner
Cowboy Bebop

So Tom Baker and BSG take the last 2 slots in the Top 8 (as all the Top 6 'Bests' got through on average rating). The Prisoner and Cowboy Bebop just miss out, coming 9th and 10th.
Hitchhikers Guide falls from 2nd last poll to 11th in this one! What happened? Marvin is definately paranoid about that one.

The least known (least votes) entrant to make the cut for the Top 8, is:

Doctor Who (Tom Baker) 1974-1981!

So all you new Dr Who fans, check yourself out some Tom Baker. Pyramids of Mars is supposed to be one of the best.

For those interested in Sci-fi, the parallel thread of Best Sci-fi Films is -> here.

The last 8 have been re-seeded based on their average rating in the last poll and split them into 2 brackets of 4 shows. The top 2 from each bracket will go through to the next (final?) round. Select only 1 'Best' in each bracket, ideally by rating them all first and then upgrading an 'Awesome'.
Here we go:

Poll: Best Sci-fi TV Series: Last 8
1. Rate the ones you have seen. Please restrict yourself to 1 'Best' vote in each bracket.
  Best Awesome Great Good Okay
Firefly
Star Trek: The Next Generation
Babylon 5
Red Dwarf
2. Rate the ones you have seen. Please restrict yourself to 1 'Best' vote in each bracket.
  Best Awesome Great Good Okay
Doctor Who (Christopher Eccleston, David Tennant, 2005-2009)
Star Trek (1960s)
      94 answers
Poll created by 1000rpm

So the last 2 Doctors face off. Will that let BSG or old Trek through?
And with Firefly pretty much a certainty, will new Trek beat off the rising challenge of Babylon 5?

I've started a notification thread for my polls which you can subscribe to if you don't want to miss the latest poll:
1000rpm's Polls Notification Thread
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
1000rpm wrote:
So the last 2 Doctors face off. Will that let BSG or old Trek through?
Classic Trek needs no favors. Even a lone Dr. Who couldn't defeat Kirk.
Quote:
And with Firefly pretty much a certainty, will new Trek beat off the rising challenge of Babylon 5?
He said "beat off." Duh-huh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knock knock open up the door it's Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
It's wurples all the way down.
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
mbmbmbmbmb
I realize I'm a bit too late with this, but I just watched an episode of CSI and it got me thinking: isn't CSI sci-fi?

It's not really a murder mystery, a whodunnit detective story or a police show. CSI is all about futuristic techno-science with cool computers, bright colors and hip music, that triumphs over crude evil. It's a combination of Star Trek and X-files, without the aliens. Does a show need outer space and other lifeforms to be considered science fiction?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Iverson
United States
Ripon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
purplewurple wrote:
I realize I'm a bit too late with this, but I just watched an episode of CSI and it got me thinking: isn't CSI sci-fi?

It's not really a murder mystery, a whodunnit detective story or a police show. CSI is all about futuristic techno-science with cool computers, bright colors and hip music, that triumphs over crude evil. It's a combination of Star Trek and X-files, without the aliens. Does a show need outer space and other lifeforms to be considered science fiction?

Its not considered science fiction. Many of those forensic tests are used today by law enforcement, just not in a few minutes. Those tests, if done, usually take months to do and the results are sometimes inconclusive, unlike CSI. CSI in the US don't really run around and interrogate people or arrest them. That is for real cops. It is really a police show.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
purplewurple wrote:

It's not really a murder mystery, a whodunnit detective story or a police show. CSI is all about futuristic techno-science with cool computers, bright colors and hip music, that triumphs over crude evil. It's a combination of Star Trek and X-files, without the aliens.

I don't watch CSI much, but when I have it hasn't seemed like Sci-fi to me.

Quote:
Does a show need outer space and other lifeforms to be considered science fiction?

No and lots of the other entrants to the poll were Sci-fi shows without aliens or space travel. Its just that none of them made it to the last 8.
Interesting - I hadn't noticed that!

Edit: Examples of non-Alien/Space shows that made the Top 20 (but not the Top 8): The Prisoner, Kolchak, Lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knock knock open up the door it's Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
It's wurples all the way down.
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
mbmbmbmbmb
1000rpm wrote:
Edit: Examples of non-Alien/Space shows that made the Top 20 (but not the Top 8): The Prisoner, Kolchak, Lost.

I haven't seen these, but I guess these shows have supernatural elements?

To me, the techno-positive message and futuristic science of CSI make it sci-fi. You do have to draw the line somewhere; fantastic technology plays a role in James Bond movies too, and I wouldn't call those science fiction. But the DNA-kits, 3D reconstruction machines and 'anything'-analyzers are as essential to CSI as space travel is to Star Trek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
This so so weak. Firefly and BSG?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pronoblem wrote:

And the winners should have been.....?

Update: What I'm saying here is that with one short vitriolic comment you are basically saying that most of the people who have invested time in voting in this poll are wrong, while not actually putting up any alternative yourself.

And that is so so weak.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1000rpm wrote:
pronoblem wrote:

Lost & Babylon 5

...maybe Doctor Who too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy McCourt
United States
Allendale
Michigan (MI)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dion wrote:
1000rpm wrote:
pronoblem wrote:

Lost & Babylon 5

...maybe Doctor Who too!

Lost starts off well, but gets so convoluted by the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
I vote farscape...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.