Doug Cooley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Me rocking out with my band, which you can hear at www.raindriver.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm an idiot, and I freely admit to not having read the rules thoroughly, but I can't seem to find any mention in them about what that entire sheet of destiny/story "money" is for. It seems like you'd track that stuff on the board per player, and they aren't even mentioned in the set up section. Since they tend to take up a lot of the limited "baggie" room in the box, I'm wondering if I can just leave them out.

Thanks! The game looks awesome, quite a nice component upgrade from the WEG version. Funny how I got this and RAF (also originally a WEG title) on the same day when they are two of the only WEG titles I ever owned.

Doug

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
To keep track of the victory conditions you set for yourself at the beginning of the game. Writing these values on a piece of paper is more convenient to slip under your reference board. If you don't hide these tokens you're giving opponents some knowledge of your hidden objectives. Then again this isn't a competitive game so it doesn't really matter in the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Their only purpose is choosing what combination of Story and Destiny points you will need for victory. At the beginning of the game each player chooses his victory condition (i.e. 8 story/12 Destiny, must add up to 20) and takes enough of the chits to represent these numbers. The play then keeps them secret from the other players by placing them under his play mat(or wherever he/she wants).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mont A.
United States
Carbondale
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with others that the addition of these markers to the game leaves me scratching my head. Simply writing down one's chosen victory conditions is much easier and faster than hunting through all those counters to find the ones needed, then keeping them underneath the play mat (which then no longer lies flat).

And why are there so many of them?

Will they perhaps be used in the Merchant Variant, functioning as money or something? (Speaking thereof: have the rules for the other variants been posted yet on the Z-Man site? I couldn't seem to find them.....)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Typhon wrote:

Why on earth did Z-Man games include them?

I'll tell you why -- because if they didn't they would have had to include pencils and paper. Without one or the other some loser on the Internet would have chewed them a new one for "not providing everything needed to play the game."

I agree the chits are darn near pointless.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Szegedi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GhostofChristmas uploaded a file to make a "Wheel" for the bidding points.... looks neat!

(wished Zman did this as well!)-

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/44988
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing my first game, I definitely think the flat of story/destiny chits is pretty useless and would have been better off being more skill chits.

I think people would be more inclined to complain about lack of enough skill chits than the dinky story/destiny chits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
holywolfman wrote:
GhostofChristmas uploaded a file to make a "Wheel" for the bidding points.... looks neat!

I saw that, now all we need is someone to take that file and fill it with nice pretty graphics (as the uploader hints at )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Cooley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Me rocking out with my band, which you can hear at www.raindriver.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, guess I was right to be surprised. And yes, someone would have complained, but someone will *always* complain. There is a long history of eurogames containing *everything* you need to play in the box, but this struck me as a little silly. If nothing else, you could have put a track on the player cards and twelve more small markers. There was certainly room on the other flats for that sort of thing.

Anyway, good to know I can just pull the damned things out of the box for now and whoever I sell the game to in 30 years can complain. ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Frederick
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Yargo wrote:
holywolfman wrote:

I saw that, now all we need is someone to take that file and fill it with nice pretty graphics (as the uploader hints at )

I made a prettier one and uploaded it right before the server crash, then prettied it up some more and uploaded another. Hopefully the latter will be approved soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Frederick
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
dcooley wrote:
If nothing else, you could have put a track on the player cards and twelve more small markers. There was certainly room on the other flats for that sort of thing.

Well, the idea is that the information is secret, so no one knows exactly how close you are to winning. It certainly made a difference in our play last Friday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Frederick
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Ok, the more graphical versions are up!

Right here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/45352

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.