7 Posts

Lord of the Rings» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about showing your cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Danny de Kooter
Netherlands
flag msg tools
I was wondering, in the manual it says: Youre not allowed to show your cards to the other player but your allowed to discuss them. So basically you can tell somebody wich cards you have? Why not show them? I was really confused about this. Excuse my bad english, I'm dutch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
It is to keep the game more social, that's all. Yes, gameplay wise you may as well show them, but Knizia believed (and many players agree) that if you have to discuss your cards, it makes the game into more of a team effort and reduces the chances that the most experienced player will just look at all the cards and tell people what to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also it puts a little responsibility on each player's shoulders. I don't care how many times I've played this game, I still often forget that someone has that card that allows a player to pass a card to someone else or the one that lets someone ignore a die roll. It's up to the player that is holding that card to remind the group they have that ability, especially when it becomes important to the survival of the fellowship.

But more than anything it's what wmshub said: If everything is open then one player can just take charge and boss others around. If some information is hidden the players are forced into communicating and working out their problems together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred D.
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mb
Playing this game with the missus, we always keep our cards open since we are both equally matched and experienced.
When played with other people we prefer the 'social setting' of hidden cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll say the same thing I said about the same issue in Pandemic. From a theoritical standpoint, there is no difference between open communication and showing each other your hands, at least in a co-op game with no incentive to lie or withhold information. Everyone has the same access to information and it should have no effect on what would be considered an optimal play.

However, it does change you arrive at the decision of what to do. Rather than looking around and deciding, you have to ask people. If they are not that good at the game, you may simply ask what they have so that you can do the thinking, but when playing with people equally skilled, it's often enough to ask them what they think. You don't need to know every card in detail. And yes, it's easy to forget that someone may be holding a yellow card for a certain situation. Not showing cards just makes interaction between the players more interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny de Kooter
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Alright, thanks for the quick response. It does make alot more sense now I think about it. I dont like it when 1 player bosses the rest around, and this seems to stop that from happening too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with all the reasons previously given.

A new set of reasons is added if you add the Sauron expansion. There is now an intelligent enemy (Sauron) watching and listening to your every move. In this case, you certainly don't want to leave your cards down for all to see. What's more, what you say now has the contradictory drives to be clear and helpful to your teammates, but the reverse to your enemy! Lots of motivation to refine your communication skills quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.