Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Glenn Margewich
United States
Clifton
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played our first game of Mare Nostrum last night. 6 Players with the expansion. We discovered that the number of available caravans was much more limited than we had expected. Most games that we have played seemed to have enough chits, etc to cover all available resources...not Mare Nostrum. All the caravans tokens were placed leaving no more available in the stock to build. However, about 1/3 of the resouce spots remained open on the board. The only apparent way to buy a new caravan was to sack an existing caravan sending the token back to the supply.

Question: Why would I do that? If I sack a caravan (instead of occupying it) the token would be sent back to the supply. I could be setting up an opponent to buy that caravan if their turn was called before me in the construction phase. Seems as though sacking would benefit opponents more often than myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Low
United States
Mansfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's all situation dependant. Often you don't want to sack for that very reason, but it depends who holds which roles, and who is the greatest threat to win.

If you're the political leader, then you know you'll get to take the caravan. Even if you're not the political leader, it's often clear who the political leader will give the build to (generally not the person already winning).

-Greg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Clark
United States
Holyoke
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sacking also makes more sense if your target has troops nearby and is still waiting for his military turn. If you can't hold a territory long enough to make any profit from it, you should at least put a dent in your opponent's immediate income...unless you're playing foolishly and attacking a player who is already very poor and ignoring the player who is closest to winning the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clark
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Mythology expansion includes a God (Vulcan) who can destroy a caravan, which you can use just before you build so you are sure to get it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.