Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Acin
United States
Coral Gables
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that there are approx. 70+ mounted boards available for ASL. How many nations are available to play with? I know of the Americans, Germans, Russians and British.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Russians
Germans (many different units including SS)
Partisans (not a nationality, but a different counter set)
Finnish
Americans (many different units including paratroopers and marines)
French
British (also used for Indian, Australian and Canadian)
Italian
Japanese
Chinese
Hungarians
Allied Minors (for Polish, Belgian, Greeks, etc.)
Axis Minors (Bulgaria, Rumania, etc.)

edit: (forgot the Hungarians have their own counters)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ian morris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Mids
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Umm... Partisans, French, Italian, Finns, Japanese, Chinese, Allied Minors, Axis Minors, Hungarians. Commonwealth troops usually use British counters, Red Chinese usually use Partisan counters. There is a scenario for Brazilian troops which uses American counters. Critical Hit have a Korean module, so presumably there are North Korean counters. Is that enough ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gates
United States
Essex
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also: Japanese, Chinese, Italians, French, Finns, Allied minor countries (Doomed Battalions module), Axis minor allies (Romanians, Hungarians. etc, in the Armies of Oblivion module), counters representing partisans from several nations and probably a few more I've forgotten because I'm just going off the top of my head.

Edit: I kinda figured, by the time I finished writing, others would have already answered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Acin
United States
Coral Gables
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So if a group of us (10 players) wanted to just represent one nation over a series of scenarios, we could play as follows:

Player 1 : Americans
Player 2 : Russians
#3 : Germans
#4 : British
#5 : Italians
#6 : Japanese
#7 : French
#8 : Allied Minors
#9 : Axis Minors
#10 : Partisans

So that means there are enough counters for each of the 10 nations/groups named above. Am I correct in this assumption? if not, please clarify.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my previous post I've listed all the different counter sets with some notes.

But to answer your question from just a "playing the game" perspective, the answer is simply, "all countries that fought in WWII".

For example, I've seen Croatian troops in scenarios as well as the Spanish Blue Division fighting the Russians.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Benn
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmmm....off the top of my head..

Finns, Partisans, Japanese, Italians, French, Chinese (nationalist and communist) are within the existing large modules.
Allied minors and Axis minors have generic squad values and counters, but there are slightly different rules and vehicle and gun listings for Slovak,Croat,Rumanian, Hungarian & Bulgarian OOB's. (Things like Rumanian 5-3-7 SMG squads and Panzerfaust availability for Hungarians & Rumanians.)
Allied minors covers Poles,Belgians,Dutch,Danes,Norweigans,Yugoslavians and Greeks (don't have the module so not 100% sure). The squad types are the same except Poles & (Belgians?) have an inherent BAR so get spraying fire. And the vehicles and guns are different of course.

Brits includes different rules for Gurkhas and ANZACS and also covers Canadians, free french,poles,czechs, jewish brigades e.t.c.
I have seen SSR's for Maoris, and Kings African rifles.

There are various third party producers who have produced others - including Ethiopian 1-1-5's and tankette tipping abilities. The Arabs & Israelis in 1948, the Korean war, the Spanish civil war & Indochina all have historical modules.

I'm sure there are lots I've missed. USMC have different rules (and too high morale).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jcikal wrote:
So if a group of us (10 players) wanted to just represent one nation over a series of scenarios, we could play as follows:

So that means there are enough counters for each of the 10 nations/groups named above. Am I correct in this assumption? if not, please clarify.

You are correct.

Now, Player 3 is going to be busy playing against Players 1, 2, 4, 7, 8 and 10 all the time. While player 2 is only ever going to play against player 3 (unless you get Action Pack where the Russians fight the Italians).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJ Jenulis
United States
Edmonds
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a difference between counter mixes and available Nations to play. Several counter mixes have been used to represent a number of nations. For example, The United States (Americans) have been used to also represent the Philippine Army and the Brazilian Army. Chinese counters have been used to represent Armed German Civilians. Peruvians, Ecuadorians, Bolivians, Mongolians, Ukrainians and many many more nations have all been represented using the current counter mix. The counter mix available to represent the various nations spanning a time period from late WWI to the 1960s (all very possible using the ASL system with some special rules) is listed below:

Official MMP Products
01: Americans/Philippine Army (Including USMC)
02: Germans (Including SS and volunteers such as Spanish)
03: Soviets/Partisans/Red Chinese (i.e. Russians)
04: Italians
05: Nationalists Chinese
06: Finnish
07: Allied Minors (Poland, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Norway, Denmark, Yugoslavia, Greece)
08: Axis Minors (Romania, Bulgaria, Slovenia, Slovakians, Croatia)
09: Hungarians
10: Japanese
11: British Commonwealth (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Canadians, Australians, New Zealand, Indians, Free Polish, Free French)
12: French/Vichy French

Third Party Products
A: Israel
B: Arab Nations (Syria, Egypt, Jordan)
C: North Vietnam
D: North Korea
E: Italian Eritrea
F: Ethiopians
G Spanish (Nationalist and Republicans)

I may have missed some, but the point is that there are a lot of counter mixes and the scope of nations that can be represented is almost unlimited.

RJ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tompy wrote:
jcikal wrote:

You are correct.

Now, Player 3 is going to be busy playing against Players 1, 2, 4, 7, 8 and 10 all the time. While player 2 is only ever going to play against player 3 (unless you get Action Pack where the Russians fight the Italians).

There are a few scenarios vs. the Japanese too (1939 and 1945).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jcikal wrote:

Several issues:
1) What about a scenario with Axis minors and Germans or Brits and Americans? Who runs that?

2) I would suggest a little bit different distribution. I'd have two players do the Germans. You could divide it by E Front & W-Med Front or whatever.

2a) you could also divide the Americans. There are a lot of these scenarios.

3) After a while, IMO partisans are a bit BORING to play. They have two counter types: 337 and 527. That's it. There are some good partisan scenarios, but I'd not like to be the partisan player.

4) By dividing up some of the big countries, it would not destroy your campaign or whatever, it a guy doesn't show up or stops playing. Hate to see the German up and quit.

US, GER, USSR, Brit and maybe JA will have alot of scenarios. Unless you are doing DYO, I'd mix it up a bit. Divide several of the "big" countries and divvy up the little ones for some spice.

Just some thoughts. Hope they help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.