Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gregg Giersch
United States
Saukville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Encounter 478 has the character gaining the Robe of Honor. Is this supposed to be one of the treasure cards? I can't find it. Or am I missing something painfully obvious - I usually do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zev Shlasinger
United States
Naples
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
ggiersch wrote:
Encounter 478 has the character gaining the Robe of Honor. Is this supposed to be one of the treasure cards? I can't find it. Or am I missing something painfully obvious - I usually do!

It's a Status.

Zev Shlasinger, President
Z-Man Games, Inc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Lane
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robe of honor is a status. I've only played 2 games, but I think something that can tip you off in the future is that treasures are bolded and statuses are italics
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Giersch
United States
Saukville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aaagh! I just figured it out and am amazed at my mistake. I've lost 3 games of this now and can not seem to climb out of the morass of negative statuses. Maybe that's why I didn't think of obtaining the Robe of Honor there - I have yet to get a positive card there for myself! My gaming pals have pulled Blessed and Respected a few times though. Oh well! I am even more determined to play gain in hopes of getting some good adventures/stories under my belt. So far I can only brag about the numerous beatings, humiliations, and mind altering occurrences. On second thought, maybe I would make a good storyteller, provided that I can still speak after such sever beatings...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darksurtur
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a follow on question. If I gain Robe of Honor and already have the Robe of Honor status, do I gain the one-time bonuses listed on the Robe of Honor again (D, S, etc.) or do I ignore the second Robe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
You cannot gain a status that you already have, so you do not get any bonus from earning a Robe of Honor if you already have one.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
I think differently. If you gain a status you already have, the new status replaces the old one. So, I think you gain the points again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ronaldo wrote:
I think differently. If you gain a status you already have, the new status replaces the old one. So, I think you gain the points again.

Doesn't sound right to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
nyhotep wrote:
Ronaldo wrote:

Doesn't sound right to me.

Why is that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because it isn't thematic (you can't wear two robes), and if you replace a status with itself, you lose the original effect and then gain the effect again. So you lose the bonus and then get the bonus again. You don't just keep accumulating the bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darksurtur
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nyhotep wrote:
Because it isn't thematic (you can't wear two robes), and if you replace a status with itself, you lose the original effect and then gain the effect again. So you lose the bonus and then get the bonus again. You don't just keep accumulating the bonus.

But as the game currently stands, you don't give back one-time story/destiny/skill gains from statuses when you lose the status, suggesting that it was the act of gaining of the status that was important and not the maintenance of the status. The lasting effects of a status are outlined in a separate section of the card, and could, if they wanted, say something like "You gain Storytelling while you possess this status." You can certainly perform a significant enough action to warrant getting a Robe of Honor twice in one game (as, for instance, acts of valor in combat getting someone two separate Silver Stars), and it seems just as thematic to me to get the story and destiny award for doing so again as not. Which is why I asked; I was hoping for a more precise answer than "house rule" it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I was slightly wrong there. The basic rule is you can only have a particular status once at a time. If you lose that status, you can get it again (and yes, you would get the reward again) but if you still have it, you don't get it (or the bonuses).

Think of it this way someone with the robe of honor would be expected to do heroic stuff, it's part of the job description, so they would need to do something extra special to get any further recognition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.