Popular Tags: [View All]
Don Sikes
United States
Easley
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The rule on page 5 states: FOOD CAN ALWAYS BE REPLACED 1:1 WITH FRANCS.

My question is: Does "Food" mean the pot value or does food mean the token itself.

In other words---does 1 fish=1 franc and 1 smoked fish=2 francs?

This isn't just at harvest is it? Thanks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
You can never exchange food for francs, but only the other way round: you can pay francs instead of food. And you do not exchange anything, but just pay the money.

Examples:

1) You need to pay 3 food at the end of the round. You have a single Smoked Fish left. This is 2 food, so there's 1 food missing. You pay 1 franc to the bank instead of this 1 food.

2) You want to enter the Bakehouse that is owned by another player. You have 1 Meat and some francs. However, you don't want to overpay with the Meat and give the other player 3 food instead of the 1 needed, so you pay them 1 franc instead. They do get the franc. They do not get a replacement fish or something like that. Bad luck for you, either give them more food (1 meat) or pay them 1 franc they will be able to invest.

3) You enter the Marketplace. You want to pay 2 francs instead of the 2 food needed. However, the Marketplace can also be used for 1 franc (entry = either 2 food or 1 franc), so you would overpay willingly. This is not covered by the rules. However, Uwe agrees with me that gifts are a bad idea, so you shouldn't allow this. Note, the computer game does not allow this. You will, though, need to house-rule it for yourself. We recommend you to not allow gifts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Sikes
United States
Easley
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thanks Grzegorz. I understand answers 1 and 2.

On answer 3, why would you not just pay 1 franc?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Fardog wrote:
On answer 3, why would you not just pay 1 franc?

That's what I'm trying to say: 1 franc is absolutely sufficient, but one might say he likes to pay 2 food as 2 francs. There are some situations that might be reasonable for this behavior, but I find all of them to be unfair play:

1. You have 2 francs left. Interest is coming to be paid, so you'd much rather like to lose both francs to get another loan and 3 francs. So you decide to pay Marketplace guy 2 francs as 2 food instead of the alternative 1 franc. This seems pretty odd. If this was legal, why wouldn't you just discard a franc left before interest payment to get another loan? Seems broken. Uwe strongly agrees upon this.

2. You want to be a kingmaker and support another player. Very bad sportmanship and in the spirit of the Le Havre board game absolutely unfitting. Thus, I wouldn't allow any sorts of gifts. And willing over-payments are gifts, in fact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mojo shivers
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only tactic where it might be sound is if you want to prevent a player from getting a loan. Sometimes giving him 2 gold might be enough to forestall him getting a loan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett Scheer
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ponton wrote:

... Seems broken. Uwe strongly agrees upon this...

Broken? no. Gamey? yes.
I still agree that you shouldn't be able to pay 2 franks. However, what would you say about 1 frank and 1 food? again gamey, and even less useful as I can think of a good reason other than to deny the MP owner the chance to get a loan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elgar wrote:
However, what would you say about 1 frank and 1 food?

Since the entry price is only 1 franc, then that's a gift of 1 food.

Totally wouldn't be allowed if I had anything to say about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.