BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Card creation programs? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis Jones
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm sick of making my custom cards in Microsoft Word.

What are some other programs I can use to design custom cards?

I don't need my cards to look flashy since I'm not looking to publish my ideas anytime soon. I'm just looking for a program that I can use to quickly design custom cards.

Thanks for any help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jane Doe
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's nanDECK, which should let you create cards quickly and easily. Be aware, though, that if you want a lot of design complexity, it'll probably get less quick and easy. It should work fine as an alternative to just typing up card texts in Word and then doing the layout manually, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Jones
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Thank you very much. I will check this out tonight

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F H
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a +1 for nandeck, it's totally great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb

Yup... NanDeck is good.

But you might look into the "mail merge" thingy in MSWord (if you haven't already). Ultimately, that might, might be more versatile.

Back in the day, I did some great things with Word's mailmerge. But these days I've dropped everything Microsoft, so I'm now using OpenOffice... I have yet to explore its mailmerge capabilities...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Pavone
United States
Saugerties
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I use OpenOffice, it's a free office suite available from www.openoffice.org . It has all the common software people use, spreadsheet, draw program, word processor, etc. It's simple and FREE!

Not quite as specific as a card creator program, but it's very versatile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Jones
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I didn't quite like nandeck. I'll check out Mail Merge

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been searching for the same thing for quite a while. It looks like...

http://www.gimp.org/

...might be the least-intimidating free program for me to explore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Inkscape is quite well suited to do cards, using the bulilt-in functions to tile clones of objects. You can also see this thread with this post by me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Keith
United States
Umatilla
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
www.cardgameforge.com has some lists should help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon New
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
Text coming soon... probably...
badge
Get tipsy and fight a farmer with Strength 3
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't mind doing a bit of donkey work, I would have a try with Strange Eons.

Strange Eons is a custom component tool, designed by Chris Jennings for Arkham Horror, and he has recently introduced a DIY component that allows you to create cards and components for any game.

You would need to work out a basic template and cardback etc for use in the program and then there is the small matter of actually making the extension/plug-in to go with it. You can be as fancy or as basic as you want.

However, once the ground work has been done it is easy to adapt your designs and make other ones.

Chris did the hard work to make an extension for the Revised 4th Edition of Talisman as an example of the DIY capability of Strange Eons, which I then adapted and created additional extensions for the previous four editions of the game plus a (very) basic cardback maker.

I am currently looking at making board spaces with the tool and a number of other options.

So, as I say, there is a bit of work in setting it up to your requirements, but the results can be very nice indeed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Jones
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hey I'm going to try out these programs!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
talismanisland wrote:
If you don't mind doing a bit of donkey work, I would have a try with Strange Eons.

I suspect big things for this in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some cards I created with GIMP, a program I always reccommend:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, I am using Visio for mocking up cards for the game I am working on. OK, they are very light on graphics, but Visio gives me nearly everything that I need at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Jones
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Strange Eons is awesome. Is there a good site for plug-ins?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Jones
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
This is good for easily printing out a testable version of my game but I have not played Arkham Horror. Are Arkham Horror cards smaller than regular cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Hobday
United States
Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You may want to check out a program called "Magic Set Editor".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Heckman
United States
Unspecified
MO
flag msg tools
A very quick and simple method I've been using is to buy Avery brand adhesive name badges, u can easily copy and paste your layout over multiple pages for uniformity, then stick them on standard poker cards.
They've proven to be very durable and "meaty" feeling.
Product number 5895 works just right, and the Avery site provides free templates to do the layout on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Jennings
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Dreamspirals wrote:
This is good for easily printing out a testable version of my game but I have not played Arkham Horror. Are Arkham Horror cards smaller than regular cards?

It uses two basic card sizes. One is the "Mini American" (about 4cm x 6cm) or "Mini USA" size, and one is the "Standard American" size (about 5.5cm x 8.5cm).

But if you are making a plug-in for a new card type, it can be any size or shape.

Cheers,
Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nation Morath
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While not ideal for quick prototyping, I have had success with both Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator (both are old versions that I've had forever: Photoshop 6 and Illustrator 9).

This is an example of a card made in Illustrator. The vector scaling was useful for some things, and I made all the symbols within Illustrator but still used Photoshop for textures and to crop images. The additional complexities of using Illustrator were not really worth it.

This is one from a different game made with Photoshop (a couple years later, which further contributes to the higher quality). The symbols, boxes, fade effects, etc. were all done within Photoshop, and overall it is much better for cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
OmniGraffle works well too. It's mac-only, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Collins
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Actually Indesign is the best tool I've used for cards. It is designed for layout work and it has a great mailmerge function built into the system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use Avery's free Design Pro 5 and their double-sided Business cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haverty
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll throw another vote out for nanDeck. It does have a little learning curve, but it gives you an amazing amount of programmatic control via the script-like way you assemble cards. You can also use input files, which is a great feature. I usually write all my card text and stats in a spreadsheet, then save them off as CSV and read it into nanDeck on the fly. The up-front work of getting the card to look the way you want is returned to you ten-fold when it's time to revise (and revise, and revise, ...) and all you have to do is update the text in your source file.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.