Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Abyss Encounter and Amanda's P.S. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
In the Abyss, an encounter can send an investigator to The Dreamlands on a Luck -1 roll with two successes.

Does the investigator move to the first area of the Dreamlands or move to the corresponding area to the one he left in the Abyss?

If he appears in the first area, does he have to have two encounters or does he move to area two during movement?

If he was in area two of the Abyss and is able to appear in area two of Dreamlands, does he have one encounter or come right out back into Arkham, assuming there's an appropriate open gate?

If the latter, does he still get the explored marker, even without having had an encounter in Dreamlands?

These questions were prompted by it happening to Amanda, which brings me to her personal-story question.

At the time she was Lost in Time in Space as a result of there being no gate open to Dreamlands after she had been transported there, there was one open gate to R'lyeh. She fails her P.S. if two gates are open to that OW. Her failure condition is that a Deep One appears and she is devoured.

Does the Deep One stay at the Lost in Time and Space location? Do subsequent investigators who are Lost in Time and Space have to fight it?

Are they stuck for the rest of the game if they can never pass a horror
or combat check against it?

What happens to the Deep One if she were to have been devoured in the OW
as a result of an encounter? Does it go back in the cup? It hasn't
appeared as a result of an encounter, as per rule.

This game just keeps getting better and better.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
1) First Area. You always enter an OW through the first area unless otherwise mentioned. Since you already had your encounter, and this does not instruct you to have an encounter. So on Phase 2, you would move to the 2nd area. So you shouldn't have an encounter in the 1st space, just the 2nd on the next turn. You should still have the standard amount of encounters, just split between the two worlds.

2) I don't have Amanda's personal story text with me so I don't know what it says. But generally, there shouldn't be monsters left on spacesw outside of the city.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
Amanda dreams that she's swimming free in the deep ocean, although, the text is more detailed.

She fails her personal story if two gates are open to R'lyeh at the same time.

A Deep One appears in her location and she is devoured.
Apparently, her dream comes true and she is transformed into a Deep One.

The rules refer to taking monsters away that appear as a result of an encounter. I would be inclined to think it wouldn't stick around, but it isn't really appearing as a result of an encounter. It's appearing as a result of a failed personal story.

It's just a case of a needed rules clarification because the mechanic of personal stories has been added.

In play testing, Amanda probably never happened to get herself into that situation so it wasn't taken into consideration.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Yeah, that is another one that needs to be clarified. The rules give no direction on how to interpret that but they also have no clause to handle them in OW or LiTaS either.

I would be inclined to put the deep one where she is when the 2nd gate opens. And then move it like it were an investigator to get it back to arkham. So move it to the 2nd OW and then back to Arkham. Or through LiTaS until it could get back to Arkham.

Either that or just place it on the Arkham location of your choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Demers
Canada
Montréal south shore
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No monsters can stay in any OW or in LitaS so...

If Amanda becomes a deep one, then she is dead. Simply return her (the deep one!)back into the monster cup!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like personal preference.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.