Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lexingtonian
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many RPGs have combat systems that you can use for miniatures battles. I don't think Boot Hill is an exception, and it doesn't belong here any more than those other games do. It was a mistake to open the door by including D&D 4th ed. in the database, and this is a perfect example why.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Lloyd
United States
North Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point(s), but I'm guessing with the advent of RPGGeek, they'll just change the genre and all will be good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Derksen
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But unlike a lot of the TSR games of the time, Boot Hill is pretty much a boardgame with a tiny amount of extra information that barely justifies the 'Role-playing game' label they used to try to increase sales back when RPGs were fresh and new.

It's very similar to Dawn Patrol in that aspect - another boardgame from the same era with some very minor character advancement rules.

In truth, it's much less of a RPG than Heroquest is.

David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Palermo
United States
Ponder
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I do not agree. I have never roleplayed Boot Hill but my students and I enjoy setting up the Ok Corral Scenario. Our next attempt will be the Dalton Bank Robbery...no roleplaying; just a straight out wargame scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
Whereas when we played it back in the day, while it was very combat oriented, it was also most certainly played as a RPG, not a board game. I'm surprised to find it here.

Also gotta love a thread with an average of two years between replies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Montgomery Van
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

While TSR would eventually claim Boot Hill to be a RPG, the first two editions were essentially tabletop combat systems (on a Man-to-Man scale! - heh).

If you played the first two editions as a pure RPG, I tip my hat to you. I always felt the 'campaign rules' were tacked on and lacking.

To my friends and I, Boot Hill was perfect for recreating big scenes from the Magnificent Seven, Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mont Van wrote:

While TSR would eventually claim Boot Hill to be a RPG, the first two editions were essentially tabletop combat systems (on a Man-to-Man scale! - heh).

If you played the first two editions as a pure RPG, I tip my hat to you. I always felt the 'campaign rules' were tacked on and lacking.

To my friends and I, Boot Hill was perfect for recreating big scenes from the Magnificent Seven, Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid, etc.

Yes, but this can also be said about the first edition of D&D (Chainmail).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chainmail was not the first edition of D&D. It was a miniatures only wargame that could be used to fight large scale 10:1 medieval battles, man to man scale sieges and smaller combats, jousting, and fantasy Tolkein style battles. Came out years before D&D and was based upon older rules than had been around for years before being published as Chainmail.

It had no RPG elements at all.

The first edition of D&D, White or Brown Box, could be used in conjunction with Chainmail, but it was not required by any means.

Boot Hill was also first published as a strictly miniatures based combat game. The edition shown here is the second edition from 1979 that has a few role play elements that are added mostly for character advancement in an ongoing campaign series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the suggestion from the mods was to add Boot Hill as an RPG item as well. I see it's already in as an RPG.

I don't actually have much of an issue with it being listed in both places, as it's clearly been used both just as miniatures rules (with no role playing going on), and as a RPG.

I guess, much ado about nothing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark taylor
United Kingdom
Dunstable
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no issue with it being here as since it can be played as a gunfight game, it straddles both board gaming and RPG camps.
What I don't understand is why Gangbusters, one of my favourites and very similar, is on!y on the RPG site!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.