Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have almost finished my dice variant and gem collection variant for dungeon twister. I won't list all the details, but you should be able to understand.

When I was packing my game after the last playtest, I just thought of a crazy idea that could indeed solve many problems I had.

In the dice variant, the character stats determine the number of dices rolled for combat and jumping.

You can use 4 characters per turn where each character can do 2 actions if they are not wounded. What I realized is that people does not move fast enough (especially the troll). In fact most of the action points are spent on moving instead of doing stuff. It also make it difficult for the cleric to reach his target to heal somebody, it takes many many turns.

So I thought what if the players could a roll and sum up X dice where X is their speed. Characters would now move very fast. At first glance, it might seem abusive, because a thief with a very good dice roll could move 30 space where in some case it can allow him to cross the dungeon. I think the only restriction I would add is that you cannot move the same character twice in a turn.

But again, there are so many obstacle in the dungeon that even if you do move a large amount of space, pits and gates can block you. Or you might even want to stop to trigger a switch or use a special ability.

I think it would make the game more interesting and remove the feeling where the game progress slowly. Team work would also be easier since you will almost be able to move and do something meaningful all the time with every character.

What Do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris De Rhodes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
I don't think the game progresses slowly at all.

And yes, I agree with you that your idea does sound abusive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I tested it some times ago. I don't quite remember the results, I think the problem was that you could not plan your moves in advance. So there was a bit more downtime since you needed to roll and then calculate all your possible moves.

But those extra moves made the game really interesting because you could sometimes open a path by rotating a tile and make a character punch through the ennemy line from 2 or even 3 tiles away.

I know my variant was nearly complete, I just did not had the time to finish writting it yet. I think the only thing missing was the new character sheets to keep track of characters and damages. There is 2 parts to the variants: Changes to the original game, and the gem collection mode which I think is compatible with the original rules if you want.

I hope I could test it again and finish it soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The main issue I have with this game is "Brain Burning". The 2nd issue is the time (my first game took 2 hours). So the first thing I did is change the core of the game by finding alternate mechanics to replace the cards with dices to reduce the amount of brain burning and time to think. In general, it worked pretty well and from what I remembered, everything was almost written and ready to play.

Now the 2nd thing is a mod called the gem collection variant which I think is compatible with the original rules. It consist of placing 4 gems per tile that can be picked up by the characters. The objective is to carry these gems on the opposite side of the maze. First player to carry 10 gems wins.

If you want to do some playtesting, I can send you what I have written so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.