Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron
United States
Huntington Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marriage/sex change - I have no problem with gays. But I would suspect that mid-evil Arabia frowns upon it. I wanna know what happens when you roll to have a child and you are both the same sex.

Multiple status - Can you be crippled twice? married twice? blessed twice? 2 pillgimages? Can you have 2 of some but only 1 of others?

Story bar - do you lose the lvl up if you go down a point? Do I have to remember which one it is or can I get rid of a different one.

Worst rules book for any game I own. This is just 3 of hundreds of answers not covered in the book. I DONT WANT HOUSE RULES CRAP So don't even bother. I want real answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: DONT BUY THIS GAME UNTIL THEY CLEAR UP THE RULE BOOK.
I suppose there are some minor things that need clearing up for some people, but I'm glad that I didn't wait for that in order to buy the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magrot wrote:
Worst rules book for any game I own.
I DONT WANT HOUSE RULES CRAP So don't even bother. I want real answers.

I've seen some pretty bad rules, there's even been some games that were "broken" out of the box.

Anyway, I imagine there will be answers from the publisher/designer and probably a FAQ.

I guess it just depends on the person/group with the game. If they are 100% anti house rule, then they might want to wait. But personally, if I liked a game, I'd rather purchase it unless the rules are completely broken.

edit:
I just came across this quote which I think is insightful:
drbsgold wrote:
My best advice...which applies to every Tales of The Arabian Nights rules question...do whatever makes for the most amusing story. That is the whole point anyway.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3729172#3729172
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Crispin
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The nature of this game does not lend itself to having no ambiguity in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Methinks you are making a Magnetic Mountain out of a molehill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. L. Lloyd
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
...as in my brain fails me at times.
badge
"I like turtles"
mbmbmbmbmb
The game could benefit from a FAQ but then again it is the type of game that is going to be enjoyed more by those willing to think outside the box more than normal. The rulebook easily sufficient enough to enjoy the game.

In the instance of receiving a sex change after already having been married, It doesn't take a rulebook to know that a same sex marriage doesn't produce offspring. The "rules" in this case are dictated by the status cards. The Marriage status prevents you from ending your turn in a city space without revisiting your origin first. The Sex Change status states you cannot win with that status. Following those two cards still leads you down the correct path for the game. There are always going to be things that don't necessarily match up in the game. Many pronouns are just going to end up incorrect do to the multifunctionality of the paragraphs. If those are types of things that keep you from playing the game, I recommend selling it while its still a hot item.

On a side note, Zev has been doing a good job at trying to answer questions as they arise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
United States
Huntington Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dkearns wrote:
Methinks you are making a Magnetic Mountain out of a molehill.

I LOL'ed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I DONT WANT HOUSE RULES CRAP So don't even bother. I want real answers.

Best if you don't pop around to my games nights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magrot wrote:

Worst rules book for any game I own. This is just 3 of hundreds of answers not covered in the book. I DONT WANT HOUSE RULES CRAP So don't even bother. I want real answers.

I DONT WANT APOSTROPHES CRAP EITHER. I ALSO DONT WANT ANY MINISCULE LETTERS. I LIKE YOURE TYPING.

I now insert a smilie to demonstrate I am not a jerkwad:
Mission accomplished...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
United States
Huntington Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gyges wrote:
Magrot wrote:

I DONT WANT APOSTROPHES CRAP EITHER. I ALSO DONT WANT ANY MINISCULE LETTERS. I LIKE YOURE TYPING.

I now insert a smilie to demonstrate I am not a jerkwad:
Mission accomplished...?

Don't cry because I offended a game you like. lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Gee
United States
Detroit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marriage/Sex Change - By the grace of God you are granted a child.Think Moses.

Can you be crippled twice? - No. You can't cripple a cripple.

Married twice? Yes. History etc.

Blessed twice? - No. You can't bless a blessed person.

2 pillgimages? - No. You can't go to a place twice by driving there once.

Can you have 2 of some but only 1 of others? - Yes.

Story Bar - You do not lose your lvl. If you did, it would be in the instructions.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
You've just reminded me that I had to buy the game. Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Cleary
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magrot wrote:
Marriage/sex change - I have no problem with gays. But I would suspect that mid-evil Arabia frowns upon it. I wanna know what happens when you roll to have a child and you are both the same sex.

I had Beast Form and then Marriage in the original game. I just rolled for kids with every visit and accused the wife of cheating on me when the kid came out human.

By the by, Islam doesn't really have any guff with lesbians. Two men could just repent and be forgiven.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jason
United States
queens
New York
flag msg tools
Two things that I have to second...

First, the Magnetic Mountain out of a molehill

Second, the do what makes a better story...

This is the type of game that is supposed to be HIGHLY UNCOMPETITIVE. Although who doesnt like to win. So you play the game with the wrong rules. Its the experience of roleplaying the story that is the point of the whole game. NOT who wins.

I suggest a variant were you dont keep score and just play for an hour. It would keep the focus on the story of your fellow players. Even better to play this game if waiting for players who are late. It doesnt matter where you end the game.

P.S. There is a point of contention between me and a friend I played the game with as to if you got a sex change status and be able to reproduce. She said "why not?".. and I gave her a biological answer.. My answer was obviously insufficient and we had a couple of laughs. Nevertheless I eventually gave in and let the two mommies make a baby and was ok with it. Makes for a better story. LOL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magrot wrote:

Don't cry because I offended a game you like. lol

Never played the game, to be honest. My weeping is on account of the vast empty gulf that is my life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Windsor
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've ordered it because of the uncompetative nature of the game. I don't see it so much as a game as a "story creation device" for me and my daughter to play. Any rule that seems too complicated, or any situation that seems a bit ackward to explain gets glossed-over, and everyone's happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

I am still waiting for my pre-ordered copy. August, hurry up !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magrot wrote:

Multiple status - Can you be crippled twice? married twice? blessed twice? 2 pillgimages? Can you have 2 of some but only 1 of others?

Story bar - do you lose the lvl up if you go down a point? Do I have to remember which one it is or can I get rid of a different one.

You really, REALLY don't understand the point of this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I THINK I WILL BUY IT JUST TO PISS YOU OFF
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

All the supposedly "impossible" things can happen, so it seems, and that is what makes this imaginative game attractive to me. Why not have a few odd fairy tale endings in the gloomy world we live.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
United States
Huntington Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of the game. I just think it has alot of problems. I want to enjoy the story as it unfolds. I dont wanna have to look up rules that are never talked about.

If I wanted to make up my own rules every 5 mins I would have just made my own game and saved myself some money. And it has nothing to do with being competitive. I just wanna be able to go through a game with no flukes, and real defined smooth rules that wont cause my group to question every little action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:
You've just reminded me that I had to buy the game. Thank you

You won't regret it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
United States
Huntington Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
garysax wrote:
I THINK I WILL BUY IT JUST TO PISS YOU OFF

Wont piss me off lol. Its your money. Like I said I like the game. The rule book just sucks. I was just doing you a favor by warning you of how bad it is.

People may not have liked what I said in this thread but none of them have argued with me about the rules being full of big holes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread barely warrants a reply... but I can't resist throwing in my two cents. Gameplay as a whole is very clear. Yes, there are some circumstances that can pop up and need clarifying. But to suggest the game is unplayable or not worthy of buying is really quite the exercise in hyperbole.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Heldt
United States
Harper Woods
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Two panzer jocks in the South Seas hoping that soon they'll get lei'd--
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I eventually gave in and let the two mommies make a baby and was ok with it.

Raising an interesting question: When were turkey basters invented?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.