Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Here I Stand» Forums » Rules

Subject: piracy against controlled minor port rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys,

Well, I've been wrong before, so here goes...

Papacy controls Venice (thus owning Corfu). Can the Ottoman (at war with the Papacy and Venice) target the Papacy in the Ionian Sea, assuming that the only space adjacent was a Papal controlled Venetian Corfu?

The basic question is: Do minor ports count as "controlled" for the purposes of piracy targeting?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Forster
United States
Pleasant Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! Institute THIS!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you control them, they count as controlled!

But note that those Venetian fortresses also give him lots of tasty defense dice against piracy: arrrh = zombie
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Jenkins
United States
Stone Mountain
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there are two other things to point out about your post. One is that if the Pope is allied to Venice, then the Ottoman would only be at war with the Pope, not Venice, since the Pope controls Venice. Second, The war is irrelevant for piracy. You can pirate someone without being at war with them.

But yes, the Pope does control Corfu, and therefore can be pirated there.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tilten wrote:
Well, there are two other things to point out about your post. One is that if the Pope is allied to Venice, then the Ottoman would only be at war with the Pope, not Venice, since the Pope controls Venice. Second, The war is irrelevant for piracy. You can pirate someone without being at war with them.

But yes, the Pope does control Corfu, and therefore can be pirated there.


Well, I was defintely wrong on the piracy thing. D@MN!

Ok, so apparently we've played this incorrectly too. Here's our situation:

Papacy gets Venice via a card play (I forget which).
Otts dow Papacy.
They are not at war with Venice too?

Sorry, to sound incredulous, but if true, this has been played wrong in every game I've played.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
iamspamus wrote:
Ok, so apparently we've played this incorrectly too. Here's our situation:

Papacy gets Venice via a card play (I forget which).
Otts dow Papacy.
They are not at war with Venice too?

Sorry, to sound incredulous, but if true, this has been played wrong in every game I've played.


Section 22.2 on pages 40-41 of the rules apply here, chiefly the 5 numbered steps of the minor power activation procedure. This does not match the situation you described above, but notice that in Step 2 that if the Ottomans had already been in a state of war with Venice at the time of the Papacy took control of them, the Ottomans must immediately decide if they wish to declare war on the Papacy. Simply remaining in a state of war with Venice is not a listed option, because...

In Step 5, it says "Remove all "At War" markers from this minor power's column on the Diplomatic Status Display (this minor power's diplomacy is now controlled by their major power ally)."

Effectively, while activated, Venice ceases to be--it's completely subsumed into the Papacy. Their units might look orange, but they are treated as Papal units, all their spaces get Papal control markers, etc.

EDIT: expanded rules quote
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, whew. We did that correctly. That's what I thought. Thanks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Forster
United States
Pleasant Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! Institute THIS!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JoelCFC25 wrote:
Effectively, while activated, Venice ceases to be--it's completely subsumed into the Papacy. Their units might look orange, but they are treated as Papal units, all their spaces get Papal control markers, etc.


Well, there are a few differences - in minor power home spaces you can only build minor power units, not your own, and vice versa; and minor power units have different options in winter.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.