Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

A couple of friends and I started a website,

http://www.wishnut.com

where people post gift ideas for friends, loved ones, or themselves, and we buy and send the most popular ones. I've seen very few people posting board games, and I thought I'd try to encourage my fellow BGGers to take a crack at it.

Enjoy,
Nick

PS: the keys to winning are to craft a compelling story/argument about why you deserve to win, so that strangers will vote for your gift, and then also goad everybody you know to vote for it on top of that. I'd love to see some board games win.

PPS: also, if you have constructive criticism of the site, lay it on me. It's still young, so there's still much to implement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a very generous gesture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this opposite of Aye, Dark Overlord! The Red Box?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rastak wrote:
Is this opposite of Aye, Dark Overlord! The Red Box?

It's sort of a "Nay, Light Underling" type of thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Todesco
United States
Chicago Suburbs
Illinois
flag msg tools
Read it again, carefully...
badge
Hey! I bought OverText! I'm cooler than you!
mbmbmbmbmb
milomilo122 wrote:
the keys to winning are to craft a compelling story/argument about why you deserve to win

Does it have to be a compelling true story/argument? Your site/post doesn't specify...

Seriously, I'm sure BBGers could rally to this around posts like this guy http://boardgamegeek.com/article/3375227, sick/dying children of members, college graduates, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Fritz
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Desco wrote:
milomilo122 wrote:
the keys to winning are to craft a compelling story/argument about why you deserve to win

Does it have to be a compelling true story/argument? Your site/post doesn't specify...

Absolutely not, it is teh Interwebz. Who's going to validate it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Meyer
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That somehow reminds of the Seinfeld episode "The Andrea Doria" ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
What preview button?
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm ... that Gift Yourself/Gift Others geekbadge newuser badge looks mighty familiar ... and that thumby vote thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Promising site. Thumbs up for philanthropy. The 'business model' is interesting, hopefully it works out.

One little nitpick - your 'Help!' link could be confusing. Users could think it's a resource for using the site, not a page for how to support it. Maybe change the text to 'Support Wishnut'? Someone wanting to donate to your site wouldn't start looking at the 'Help!' link.

EDIT: s/would starting/wouldn't start/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jpeters wrote:
Promising site. Thumbs up for philanthropy. The 'business model' is interesting, hopefully it works out.

One little nitpick - your 'Help!' link could be confusing. Users could think it's a resource for using the site, not a page for how to support it. Maybe change the text to 'Support Wishnut'? Someone wanting to donate to your site would starting looking at the 'Help!' link.

Thanks for the praise, and REALLY good point. I've been staring at the site long enough that I'm failing to see the obvious. Will fix it shortly.

Yeah, not sure about the business model. I'll be happy if I can get to a point where it covers the gifts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dujo wrote:
Hmm ... that Gift Yourself/Gift Others geekbadge newuser badge looks mighty familiar ... and that thumby vote thing.

SHHHHHHHHHH! yeah, what can say? I spend more time at BGG than anywhere else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.wishnut.com/gifts.php?id=1959

I figure it's worth a try. This looks like an awesome idea but I hope it doens't turn out like Freecycle has lately. Another good idea ruined by 4,000 people wanting free designer handbags and PS3s...

I'll definitely put the word out, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FunkyBlue wrote:
http://www.wishnut.com/gifts.php?id=1959

I figure it's worth a try. This looks like an awesome idea but I hope it doens't turn out like Freecycle has lately. Another good idea ruined by 4,000 people wanting free designer handbags and PS3s...

I'll definitely put the word out, though.

Thanks *very* much, and yes, we are aware of that possibility, and prepared to fight tooth and nail to prevent it from happening. We'll see what happens once the site gets hit with some real traffic (it's ramping up right now).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.