Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I poked around and I think these may be the largest collections on the Geek:

hermi 3672
ChrisHSLeach 3618
Alan How 3370 (he stated he has about 1000 not logged)
JediDragon 3030
vkandtj 2966
BigWoo 2697
hauwech 2683
RaffertyA 2600
splat0169 2439
Aldie 2265
njsauer 2079

Did I miss any?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, thanks for doing this. For ease of access to see the impressive collections themselves:

Ryszard Hermaszewski
United Kingdom
Watford
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Christopher Leach
Austria
Wien/Vienna
Wien/Österreich
flag msg tools
mb

Alan How
United Kingdom
Bromley
Kent
flag msg tools
badge
Do you know about Counter magazine? Geekmail me for more details
mbmbmbmbmb

Thomas Max
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Steve Sartain
United States
Auburn
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Big Woo
Scotland
state:
running out of space...
flag msg tools
badge

Wolfgang Friebe
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Tim Benjamin
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

patrick carroll
United States
effort
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb

Nick Sauer
United States
Hamilton Square
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miika K.
Finland
KAIPOLA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it somehow possible to search largest collections by country?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phew, good, I'm still not even close to the top of that list... "But honey, so what if I have 200-some games, these guys have THOUSANDS"

(and I'm only 1800 games short, mwahahahahah)

edited for formatting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kovacs
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I think of the money they would cost and the space required to store them, I honestly cannot imagine owning three thousand or more games. I wouldn't want to own that many games. And how many of them have even been played? I own only about 25 wargames and I'm lucky to have played about half of them.

I own about 700 CDs but I at least listen to them and have listened to them all at least once. Same with the hundreds of books in my collection - I've read or looked through just about all of them.

Maybe people just get obsessed about different things...whatever rocks your boat, I guess.

I'd really like to hear the stories of how one acquires three thousand or more games...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
And my wife complains that I'm overstocked with games... and I only have around 50.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri Gia
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Euhm?

Quote:
Did I miss any?

I think you missed quite a few of "us" megageeks out there
/dimi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Knechtskern
Germany
Groebenzell
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sigh....

That is just another reminder its time to add my complete collection to the geek...

Adding approximately 2000 games is NO FUN AT ALL yuk

Cheers

Klaus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to find people who have large collections, and have commented on at least most of their games. All the people above have rated 10% of less of their collection.

What I'd like is a way to find the people who have rated and commented on the most games, whether or not they own them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KlausKnechtskern wrote:
Adding approximately 2000 games is NO FUN AT ALL yuk

Then, um, just don't do it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Infomanohio wrote:
When I think of the money they would cost and the space required to store them, I honestly cannot imagine owning three thousand or more games. I wouldn't want to own that many games. And how many of them have even been played? I own only about 25 wargames and I'm lucky to have played about half of them.

I own about 700 CDs but I at least listen to them and have listened to them all at least once. Same with the hundreds of books in my collection - I've read or looked through just about all of them.

Maybe people just get obsessed about different things...whatever rocks your boat, I guess.

I'd really like to hear the stories of how one acquires three thousand or more games...

Aldie's collection fuels BGG.con - and from all reports, it does it VERY well. His and/or Derk's travel and purchase podcasts from Essen are great and I love listening to which games they grabbed and how on earth they got them back to Texas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know several geeks with far larger collections than this.

But as it would be a pain in the butt to register 10,000+ games (many of which are not even in BGG), I can easily understand why they prefer to keep their files at home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Benjamin
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Curt,

This isn't a competition (it's a database). So, as just a note, I've played (and commented on) 1/3 of my BGG listed games. Not as much as I'd wish but a bit above 10%.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Leach
Austria
Wien/Vienna
Wien/Österreich
flag msg tools
mb
I am surprised to be so highly ranked, but as others have pointed out,
there are others with larger collections not listed here - I know three or four larger collections in Austria alone. Plus friends in Germany as well that exceed mine. soblue

Please note that these statistics also include expansions etc.
Then again I have a number not in the database, and given time I will photograph them and submit. (Yes I have a separate list - essential when
buying in Essen or elsewhere as my memory is not 100%).
My actual total, calculating games alone and excluding PNPs is around 3250.

Yes it does take a up a lot of space and time (and money).
I have a dedicated rooom with cirka 20m cubed of storage in shelves.
Now my space is as good as full I will have to ditch the poorer ones.
Acquisition in some periods was from car boot sale equivalents - in Germany especially the number of available games there are certainly higher. Some were acquired in phases just for the curiosity at a Euro or two. Many are from mail order and many years of coming back from Essen with a real car load full...

And my comments and ratings are low as I admit to having played only a portion - hope springs eternal that I may be able to play them in entirety

Plus maintaining the list, catching up, reading the worthwhile lists and other comments does take more time than is probaly healthy anyway. Plus I have only started rating, in ratings order, and only for those games that I have played really often enough.
Now if I could find a way to rate them in my database (I have rated more there, but on a different scale - so conversion required...) and then to upload these ratings directly, now that would be the solution!
But adding comments to those is a tall order!

Yes I am a hopeful collector rather than a pure playing geek. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Thron
United States
Caldwell
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do I suddenly feel like I'm in a virtual locker room?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kovacs
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kestril wrote:
Infomanohio wrote:

Aldie's collection fuels BGG.con - and from all reports, it does it VERY well. His and/or Derk's travel and purchase podcasts from Essen are great and I love listening to which games they grabbed and how on earth they got them back to Texas.

I didn't say having a large game collection was bad. I just said I myself couldn't imagine owning that many games. Kudos to those who do have large collections and enjoy them...to each their own. And where would all of us be without BGG?

All I can add about this subject is that I'm glad I'm not obsessed with owning a large collection. I'm happy with what I've got.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RaffertyA wrote:
Curt,

This isn't a competition (it's a database). So, as just a note, I've played (and commented on) 1/3 of my BGG listed games. Not as much as I'd wish but a bit above 10%.

I don't understand your competition comment, but perhaps I can clarify my comment. I use GeekBuddy analysis quite heavily when making new game purchase decisions. And I tend to trust people's opinions more who have rated more games, especially when I can look a large overlap with my ratings and verify similar tastes. So I like to find such people to add as GeekBuddies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Fightmaster
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: Huge Games Collections.

Pics or they didn't happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.