Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I really get into in all the games I play is the theme of the game. I actually enjoy the cheesy intros printed in the front of the rule books and have fun pretending I am an actual Viking, farmer, engineer, or whatever. This got me thinking, what do I think the WORST idea for a theme would be? What theme of game would ensure that almost all gamers would hate the game despite how well the mechanics or interactions may be? Please post your ideas on likely to be hated themes here, I am excited to see how many terrible ideas people can come up with!

My idea would be an economy/city development game based in Middle Earth. Players take the role of Sharkey (Saruman) and are tasked with developing the beautiful Shire into a productive region full of industry and shabby, drab brick buildings. Whoever can turn the Shire from a lazy land into the most productive wins! (At the end of the game there may be some form of "battle" where players attempt to eliminate/imprison Frodo and his gang as they return from their travels.

Through the course of the game players would have to remove trees and houses to make room for buildings, impose rules and coerce sheriffs to enforce them, and other nasty actions. A possible variant design would be everyone shares the map and gets points for building buildings and such. In this version everyone develops together. Maybe bonus points could go to whoever digs up the Gaffers taters etc...

Happy Posting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
An educational game where you practice geek-modding skills while passing around blurry game pictures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Bullseye
United States
Brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kvenosdel wrote:
Players take the role of Sharkey (Saruman) and are tasked with developing the beautiful Shire into a productive region full of industry and shabby, drab brick buildings.

If you can't get the license, you could always retheme the game with revamping Italian cities with Mussolini's "new Roman" look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Acker
China
Suzhou
Jiangsu
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion's theme, however one might describe it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One could also include Puerto Rico's theme. How come all the colonists are brown and are obtained from a ship that sails presumably across the ocean?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew LaClair
United States
Watertown
New York
flag msg tools
Quote:
What theme of game would ensure that almost all gamers would hate the game despite how well the mechanics or interactions may be?

Dude, there's already a game about containers, and it's called Container. People have given it 10s. A lot of people. Based on this fact alone, what you're proposing is impossible.

If I made a game about hospitals, and called it Bedpan, or Colostomy Bag, there'd still be some maniac on here giving it a 10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Thompson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Valar Morghulis
badge
Valar Dohaeris
mbmbmbmbmb
kvenosdel wrote:

My idea would be an economy/city development game based in Middle Earth. Players take the role of Sharkey (Saruman) and are tasked with developing the beautiful Shire into a productive region full of industry and shabby, drab brick buildings. Whoever can turn the Shire from a lazy land into the most productive wins! (At the end of the game there may be some form of "battle" where players attempt to eliminate/imprison Frodo and his gang as they return from their travels.

Through the course of the game players would have to remove trees and houses to make room for buildings, impose rules and coerce sheriffs to enforce them, and other nasty actions. A possible variant design would be everyone shares the map and gets points for building buildings and such. In this version everyone develops together. Maybe bonus points could go to whoever digs up the Gaffers taters etc...

Ummm... I TOTALLY want to play this game now. Honestly, that sounds like a pretty good theme to me. Which I guess means that you lose?

Hehe, but to contribute my own idea: public school custodian. Cleanest blackboards and shiniest floors wins!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, let's go with really boring themes. How about a game where you are political parties trying to sway the country's opinions towards your goals.....hmmm...Well, how about a struggling farmer family who try to grow their farm while staying fed.....umm....

I know! Train company owners who must build their empire by selling stocks that they must pay out while using that income to build their connections and get goods delivered? Damn....Art dealers trying to make money by selling valueless paintings and making their collection much more valuable?

Okay...I got nothin....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about a game where the players are central planners for the Soviet government circa 1953? Each player must attempt to complete the building of drab concrete apartment buildings, dingy warehouses, and foul, pollution-belching factories. Players would have to build the required structures according to the Five Year Plan using as little money as possible, while pocketing the left-overs, which each player would use to build their own dachas on the Black Sea. The first player to complete his minimum required structures according to the Five Year plan and move into his dacha without being purged by the Politburo is the winner.

The game would be called "Five Year Plan", and would be published in black and white - no color, except for the cover.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you have to make anything up. Here are some I've gnashed my teeth over:

1. Bidding in Ancient Egypt

2. Bidding in the Renaissance

3. Bidding in the Industrial Age
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Parsonage
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about a game where you just sit around and express your warm fuzzy feelings, like in this game:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/281918

the thematic twist being, you can only express your feelings about this one other game:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/31816

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Parsonage
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For wargamers who are sticklers for historical accuracy, how about:

Hitler's last Muggle:

Manstein vs. Harry Potter,
Kharkov, 1943.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Daly
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
I've worked in libraries for a long time, and there's one never-ending task in every library that's so boring that after about 30 minutes of it, I would hope the bookshelves collapsed on me so that I could escape, even if it was to the emergency room. So my game would be Library Page. This is a simulation of shelving books in a library. You get points for quickly and accurately filing books according to the Dewey decimal system. In Advanced Library Page you would use the Library of Congress system, which would make it confusing as well as boring. Now that's a game I'd never play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
Cthulhu 500

This combination of shitty themes wins hands down. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
Christiansburg
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Play more Inis
mbmbmbmbmb
Desiderata wrote:
Cthulhu 500

This combination of shitty themes wins hands down. devil

Where's my thumbs down button?

But as long as a game HAS a theme, particularly an interesting one, I'm pretty much happy. There's nothing that kills the proverbial game-boner for me than something that comes in a box that looks like the cover of a history book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Kloth
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Standing In Line: The Game

Now that I think of it, I could probably make a good game out of this. There are card games with line type mechanics (Guillotine, that mobster one I can't think of). Cutting in line, pee breaks, braving the elements, shenanigans while sleeping. You could make it "wacky" and add in all kinds of crazy stuff. Make it standing in line for a new nerdy movie. Then you can have riots starting from Star Trek vs Star Wars. Aliens could abduct somebody in their sleep. There could be a "move barricade" card.

I bet I could turn anything into an interesting game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Worst themes ever!:

Auto Mechanic: Oil change expansion

Molasses in January

Janitor: The Splattering

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jevon Heath
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Go on 'head get down with it.
badge
Take it to the chorus!
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't think of a way to make a viable game with a scrapbooking theme, and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to play such a game if someone did come up with one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CyanideNow wrote:
Hehe, but to contribute my own idea: public school custodian. Cleanest blackboards and shiniest floors wins!

How about School, the game in which you have to sit through boring classes, take pointless exams and the playing time is 12 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pell Bort
Canada
flag msg tools
Technically correct is the BEST kind of correct.
badge
I'm a little lad who loves berries and cream.
mbmbmbmbmb
Shia LeBoeuf. I'm sick to death of all the Shia LeBoeuf-themed games out there. ENOEUF!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Syvertsen
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
General Sherman says have a great day!
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Vista Panic!, a game where players must constantly seek to upgrade their Windows Vista-equipped computers, while dealing with compatability issues, patches, and security flaws? To add realism, player turns would take minutes, even hours, to simulate the update download/install process.

Unfortunately, I have unwillingly played this game; it's really as boring as it sounds...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Second in a one horse race
Scotland
Bloxham
Oxon
flag msg tools
Cardboard rocks. It's just not the same on iOS.
badge
F&%K YOU, DODGEBALL!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

If I made a game about hospitals, and called it Bedpan, or Colostomy Bag, there'd still be some maniac on here giving it a 10.

Where can I buy this game??!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Second in a one horse race
Scotland
Bloxham
Oxon
flag msg tools
Cardboard rocks. It's just not the same on iOS.
badge
F&%K YOU, DODGEBALL!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
How about a game where the players are central planners for the Soviet government circa 1953? Each player must attempt to complete the building of drab concrete apartment buildings, dingy warehouses, and foul, pollution-belching factories. Players would have to build the required structures according to the Five Year Plan using as little money as possible, while pocketing the left-overs, which each player would use to build their own dachas on the Black Sea. The first player to complete his minimum required structures according to the Five Year plan and move into his dacha without being purged by the Politburo is the winner.

The game would be called "Five Year Plan", and would be published in black and white - no color, except for the cover.

Isn't this just a re-theme of Caylus??ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Dan
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MusedFable wrote:

Standing In Line: The Game

Now that I think of it, I could probably make a good game out of this.

This is actually a national sport in England.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
kvenosdel wrote:
One could also include Puerto Rico's theme. How come all the colonists [...] are obtained from a ship that sails presumably across the ocean?

Yes. We all know that the colonists to the Americas came by plane, after all. And not from over the ocean, but ... errm ... from the North Pole?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.