Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Norbert Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Wow, so this is what you get for 100 pieces of gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
SL1, January 1994 - July 27 2009, beloved first car of Norbert Chan, passed away slowly and painfully. SL1 was a gray 4 door Saturn compact car with no air conditioning, no CD player and a $100 block heater. Born on January 1994, SL1 gave much joy to Norbert, that on the inaugural drive, Norbert rolled down the window, with the song "All for Love" by Bryan Adams, Sting and Rod Stewart blasting out of the radio.

Being a North American car, SL1 would not make the girls look twice, but had dent resistent side doors, which impressed the girls when they were kicked and bent back into place. The girls, however, did not like the automatic seatbelt that slid into place, and always commented on it. SL1 led a good life, going as far north as Edmonton, as far west as Lake Louise, and as far east as Drumheller/Badlands.

Early in life, SL1 was broken into when Norbert left about $5 in change in the front seat for parking. Later in life, in January 2008, at a Safeway, where Norbert spent 5 minutes to buy a bag of chips, a thief used a screwdriver to break into SL1, then use the screwdriver to put in the ignition, but the thief in his haste, broke off the screwdriver tip, leaving SL1 undrivable and having to get towed back to the dealership. Norbert then protected SL1 with "the club", but accidentally cracked the windshield of SL1 while installing the club one cold winter day.

SL1 would not hurt a fly, only a few gophers (Richardson's ground squirrels) that squeaked and ran directly under the tires, followed by some small carcass sounds being tossed about.

On July 27, 2009 SL1 passed away when Norbert was informed that it would cost $1600 to repair leaking transmission fluid and another $600 to replace the ignition column which would on occasion not allow the car key to come out of the ignition when the car was parked, and that ignition column part was not available since SL1 was so old.

A baby tree will be retroactively planted in front of Norbert's house by the City of Calgary in memory of SL1.

When girls kicked you in the side door, it was a crime,
But all you said was "Hit me baby one more time"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Easterlin
United States
Saint Peters
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GMOFreePortland.com
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
ii desu. It is good.
badge
No, I have no idea.
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And here I thought I was weird for liking boardgames too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife's 1994 SL1 is still going. Burning oil, leaking from the moonroof every time it rains, nonfunctional A/C, and even lower on power than when it was new, but it's still going!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norbert Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
My wife's 1994 SL1 is still going. Burning oil, leaking from the moonroof every time it rains, nonfunctional A/C, and even lower on power than when it was new, but it's still going!

That's pretty good. I was hoping to coax a few more years out of mine. But the costs were getting way to high.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Norbert Chan wrote:
SL1, January 1994 - July 27 2009, beloved first car of Norbert Chan, passed away slowly and painfully.

This brings back memories. Back in my Chevy days, my cars always died a slow painful death like that. It was partly my fault cutting corners on their health care costs, but I was young and foolish then.

On the bright side, at least your SL1 didn't suffer a violent death like my beloved Ford Contour, who was clipped by a semi, spun out at 70 miles per hour and smashed into a concrete barrier. Some people think the sudden loss is easier, or more dignified. But you never really get to say good-bye when that happens. (Fortunately, the spin out reduced the speed enough so that the crash was survivable for me, just not the car.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norbert Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rubric wrote:
Norbert Chan wrote:
SL1, January 1994 - July 27 2009, beloved first car of Norbert Chan, passed away slowly and painfully.

This brings back memories. Back in my Chevy days, my cars always died a slow painful death like that. It was partly my fault cutting corners on their health care costs, but I was young and foolish then.

On the bright side, at least your SL1 didn't suffer a violent death like my beloved Ford Contour, who was clipped by a semi, spun out at 70 miles per hour and smashed into a concrete barrier. Some people think the sudden loss is easier, or more dignified. But you never really get to say good-bye when that happens. (Fortunately, the spin out reduced the speed enough so that the crash was survivable for me, just not the car.)

I have been very lucky not to be in an accident yet. (Knocking on wood). Glad to see you got through your accident with the Ford Contour with no real injury. Spinning out at 70 mph and writing about it is like rolling "00" on two ten sided dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Norbert Chan wrote:
I have been very lucky not to be in an accident yet. (Knocking on wood). Glad to see you got through your accident with the Ford Contour with no real injury. Spinning out at 70 mph and writing about it is like rolling "00" on two ten sided dice.

Yeah, it was a close call. It was on an 8-lane divided highway, during rush hour. The car slowed down real fast once it was going sideways. In fact, it slowed so quickly that the semi actually bumped me a second time because he couldn't slow down that fast.

It was over in a flash -- the only two thoughts I had were (1) worrying that the car was going to flip over when it was going sideways, and (2) worrying that I was going to get creamed by another car after the second hit, because it pushed me into the other lanes. The concrete barrier saved me. Otherwise, I'd have gone into on-coming traffic.

Anyway, sorry to hear about your car.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm free-basing midichloriens and the force is, like, an energy that connects and penetrates us all, man.
United States
Saint Ann
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My SL2 is in for repairs today. I feel your pain, brother.

I hope you got a second opinion:
Saturn dealer > $1000.
Small time guy = $261.
The SL2 lives another day.

About a year ago, I also had that steering column thing. Nothing makes you feel more stupid than wrestling with the steering wheel to get out your keys. People nearby also think you are crazy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norbert Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dreadpirate wrote:
My SL2 is in for repairs today. I feel your pain, brother.

I hope you got a second opinion:
Saturn dealer > $1000.
Small time guy = $261.
The SL2 lives another day.

About a year ago, I also had that steering column thing. Nothing makes you feel more stupid than wrestling with the steering wheel to get out your keys. People nearby also think you are crazy.

That's a good idea about the second opinion. But I think the car has had it for repairs. It's getting too expensive. With the recession going on, there may be some deals on new cars...though I'm not looking forward to negotiating for price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I am truly sorry for your lots.

But it gives me hope that my 2002 L200 has a long life ahead of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norbert Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:

I am truly sorry for your lots.

But it gives me hope that my 2002 L200 has a long life ahead of it.

The Sedan L200 is nice. Sometimes, some cars must die, so that other cars may live.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.