War of the Ring (First Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: A Few Rules Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cactus god
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys, after my first playthrough, we came up with a few questions.

1)Is the fellowship revealed when they start at rivendell or do they start hidden?

2)When Sauron picks a hunt tile, do they go back into the cup?

3)Does the witch-king count as a nazgul for the purposes of special cards that move nazgul around?

4)If an army comes to a location where the fellowship is, and they are revealed, and there's an army there, do the fellowship participate in combat? Would they if they were hidden? (dumb question, but important for me to know ;p)

Thanks for any answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
Cactusgod wrote:
Hey guys, after my first playthrough, we came up with a few questions.

1)Is the fellowship revealed when they start at rivendell or do they start hidden?

2)When Sauron picks a hunt tile, do they go back into the cup?

3)Does the witch-king count as a nazgul for the purposes of special cards that move nazgul around?

4)If an army comes to a location where the fellowship is, and they are revealed, and there's an army there, do the fellowship participate in combat? Would they if they were hidden? (dumb question, but important for me to know ;p)

Thanks for any answers.

1) hidden.
2) No. They are discarded from the game, unless the tile shows an Eye. After resolving the Hunt, place Eye tiles off to the side to be added back to the Hunt bag when the FSP reaches Mordor.
3) Yes, he counts as a Nazgul.
4) FSP never participates in combat. Doesn't matter if revealed or hidden. Revealed means they are vulnerable to Shadow Player (SP) event cards, and they must hide again prior to moving. An army in the same region as the FSP last known position grants the SP a hunt reroll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cactus god
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok great thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cactus god
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have another question. When people say "Character Cards or Muster Cards" are they referring to the fact that the card can be played with either the Sword symbol or the Helmet symbol? (besides the palantir) The reason I ask this is for people like Gandalf who let you draw another character event and stuff...I'm not entirely sure what that means.

Editing another one here:

With the movement of the fellowship, you technically don't need to know where they're moving until a reveal, is this correct? Like you move them through areas equal to the number they have moved on the track, but obviously they arent really "moving" (as far as the figure is concerned) So this would mean that only when the fellowship is revealed do they get the effect of passing through a stronghold, like Moria?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Marysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Though here at journey's end I lie in darkness buried deep, beyond all towers strong and high, beyond all mountains steep, above all shadows rides the Sun, and Stars forever dwell: I will not say the Day is done, nor bid the Stars farewell.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cactusgod wrote:
I have another question. When people say "Character Cards or Muster Cards" are they referring to the fact that the card can be played with either the Sword symbol or the Helmet symbol? (besides the palantir) The reason I ask this is for people like Gandalf who let you draw another character event and stuff...I'm not entirely sure what that means.

Correct. There are two distinct types of cards, character cards and strategy cards (what you called muster cards). The verbiage in game text that refers to these cards is usually specific to one of the decks. Strategy and character cards are both considered to be event cards.

Cactusgod wrote:

With the movement of the fellowship, you technically don't need to know where they're moving until a reveal, is this correct? Like you move them through areas equal to the number they have moved on the track, but obviously they arent really "moving" (as far as the figure is concerned) So this would mean that only when the fellowship is revealed do they get the effect of passing through a stronghold, like Moria?

You got it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darth Headbutt wrote:
Cactusgod wrote:

Correct. There are two distinct types of cards, character cards and strategy cards (what you called muster cards). The verbiage in game text that refers to these cards is usually specific to one of the decks. Strategy and character cards are both considered to be event cards.

Not exactly, Darth. There is a Character deck and a Strategy deck. The Character deck contains only Character cards (those that can be played with a Character die). The Strategy deck contains both Army cards (those that can be played with an Army die) and Muster cards (those that can be played with a Muster die).

Darth Headbutt wrote:
Cactusgod wrote:

You got it.

You also move the Last Known Position (Fellowship figure) when the Fellowship is declared.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Marysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Though here at journey's end I lie in darkness buried deep, beyond all towers strong and high, beyond all mountains steep, above all shadows rides the Sun, and Stars forever dwell: I will not say the Day is done, nor bid the Stars farewell.
mbmbmbmbmb
Krieghund wrote:
Darth Headbutt wrote:

Not exactly, Darth. There is a Character deck and a Strategy deck. The Character deck contains only Character cards (those that can be played with a Character die). The Strategy deck contains both Army cards (those that can be played with an Army die) and Muster cards (those that can be played with a Muster die).

So what are we saying that's different?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your answer implied that all Strategy cards are Muster cards, as opposed to some being Muster cards and some being Army cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Krieghund wrote:
Your answer implied that all Strategy cards are Muster cards, as opposed to some being Muster cards and some being Army cards.

This distinction is important for discarding "A Power Too Great" (and also Tom Bombadil... okay, so just APTG ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.