Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've loved 40k lore for quite a while now, but I've yet to read any of the books as I wasn't really sure what would be good. I'd be more interested in a self-contained story rather than a series and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Before I read self-contained I had a few ideas but now I've got nothing.

Of the serials though...

Gaunt's Ghosts

Space Wolves

There was one story called something like 'hammer of...' but I can't find it when looking.

Good luck with your reading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Miller
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite author in that franchise is Dan Abnett:
http://www.blacklibrary.com/author.asp?id=1
You can choose to avoid the series, and may want to as they are very addictive.

Everything I've read in that franchise has been at least "decent." Some is downright outstanding fiction. It really depends on what part of the universe you are interested in and if you find an author that you particularly like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Ian Watson (a proper writer and everything!) wrote a couple of 40K novels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses guys! If it helps narrow it down to a few good books, I guess I'd be most interested in Space Marines, Tau, or Orc stories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
travellerne wrote:
My favorite author in that franchise is Dan Abnett:
http://www.blacklibrary.com/author.asp?id=1
You can choose to avoid the series, and may want to as they are very addictive.

Everything I've read in that franchise has been at least "decent." Some is downright outstanding fiction. It really depends on what part of the universe you are interested in and if you find an author that you particularly like.

I just read a couple of the Eisenhorn books and I'm convinced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack H.
United Kingdom
Rochester
Kent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to warn you, after you read any Games Workshop fiction you have to attend a short medical procedure to erase any memory of reading said fiction, so as to comply with their IP policy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.