Rami Finkelshtein
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Just another day on the staircase
mbmbmbmbmb
Description: TotAN is a storytelling game. With mechanics that are very different from anything I have seen to date in boardgames. The premise is that you are a story teller in the time of Sultans and Viziers and your goal is to travel the world and gather the best story to the Sultan. This idea of "best" is designated by story and destiny points.

Components: This game looks beautiful. The board is quite colourful and definatley adds to the theme of the game. The held-up cardboard characters also look very well done. The cards are a little flimsy and thin, I would probably suggest sleeving them however the actual artwork on them works great and the text is very simple to read. Next we have the counters, they are sturdy, but I have an issue with the skills counters which have a different font set that along with the colours is a little difficult to read from a far. A slight inconvenience but not game breaking in any way.

Rules: This isn't actually an explination of the rules but rather a review on whether the rules are simple and complete. If you would like to see the actual rules they can be found here. The rules are simple to understand and with a quick read through (~10 minutes) you can be playing with only having to make ocasional reference checks to the book. However, after repeated pllays I found that there are quite a few confusing situations that arise from the rules. For example: if you already have the "On Pilgramige" status then can you get it again? Will you be on a second pilgramige or will you be on 2 pigramiges at once, and how all of that works. Needless to say there are some complications in the rules that will hopefully be cleared up in an erreta soon enough (Z-Man games is usually pretty good with this.

Complexity: (scale of 1-5 from 1 being super easy to 5: really hard) this game probably gets about a 1.5. Easy enough to play with anyone including your parents or even grandparents. Fun game and quite simple. Only complaint is the fact that you have to go through the book vvery often and there are no defining markers to find paragraphs. I am personally considering putting in some sticky notes to help myself find paragraphs faster. And a more long term project is to make it into a linked pdf but that might take a while.

Final Verdict I give this game a 7/10 very fun with few complaints but very light and I question how long it will take before the standard paragraphs (yes there are over 2000 but over about 50 games you might have repeats encounters but if u will remember the outcomes is a while different question. Either way after 5 plays I still like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.