Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Carter
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tonight my game group pulled out the new expansion for Dominion for the first time. Instead of starting out with some of the suggested sets in the rulebook, we decided to dive right in and just pick ten random cards (which is how we generally pick cards for Dominion).

We started off with the following ten cards in a four player game:

Great Hall
Steward
Wishing Well
Bridge
Ironworks
Baron
Coppersmith
Minion
Saboteur
Trading Post

This being our first time with the new cards, we spent a lot of our time trying to figure out which cards would work best. Bobby (who sat to my right) started off with a Steward and a Silver. I picked up a Coppersmith and Silver. Logan (on my left) got a 5/2 split and started with a Minion/nothing. And Janna (across from me) picked up a Bridge and a Silver.

After getting our first two cards, we had a few interesting turns. On my third turn I was lucky enough to draw a Coppersmith and four Coppers, so I couldn't resist buying a Province. However, apart from that we had a hard time gaining momentum for the first few rounds as we tried to figure out the best way to make the cards work for us.

We figured out pretty quickly how strong Bridge could be, after Logan took a Silver, Copper, and Bridge, and bought 2 Silvers with it. We also picked up on the value of Ironworks when used to pick up a Great Hall, since it basically awarded a free victory point without clogging the deck, and without costing an action or buy.

And then Janna played Saboteur for the first time. (She had bought two of them.) As we churned through our decks trashing Silver, Ironworks, and the like, we realized that we really hated this card. Since there were no two-cost kingdom cards on the board (they all cost three, four, or five)... we really hated this card. And since there was no Moat or Secret Chamber on the board, we knew we needed to find a way to deal with this.

Bobby's strategy was to buy more victory point cards than normal, targeting Duchies as well as Provinces. That way, while the Saboteur has a greater chance of hitting a victory card, the effect will be less severe than if it hits a Province. I decided to fight fire with fire and buy Saboteurs of my own, and also pick up Great Halls with my Ironworks when possible to give the Saboteurs something to hit.

Logan kept going with his current strategy without much change, buying treasure and cards that would provide extra buying power (Bridge, Steward, and Minion). That is, until he got hit by two Saboteurs in the same round, and that would prove too much for him to handle. On his turn, he had seven coins + a Bridge, and decide to opt for two Saboteurs instead of a Province.

Unfortunately for Logan, this wasn't his lucky night. A couple of rounds later, Janna played Saboteur, which trashed Logan's first Saboteur. Then on my turn, I played a Saboteur with the same result, leaving Logan with no Saboteurs left.

Eventually though, in spite of all the Sabotage going on, the game started to wind down. We had been having trouble buying Provinces, so the Duchy pile was the first to run out. Then came the Great Hall pile. Incredibly, we ran the Silver pile down to two cards, but instead of ending on a three pile finish, Janna was able to buy the last Province to end the game.

While Janna and I had been relatively unharmed by the Saboteurs, losing Silvers more often than not, Logan and Bobby weren't so lucky, having lost two Provinces each. I ended up winning the game with 37 points. In spite of everything, Logan ended up coming in second with 32 points (which made us wonder what if he had bought a Province instead of two Saboteurs that one turn). Janna and Bobby finished in the mid to high twenties.

We did play a second game which was much faster paced, higher scoring, and less intense. Overall, we had a great time and were glad to see how Intrigue has breathed new life into Dominion. We had gotten a little bored with the base set, so the new cards with more interesting decisions to make during the turn were a lot of fun. We're looking forward to playing again soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seba J
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bigbc79 wrote:
A couple of rounds later, Janna played Saboteur, which trashed Logan's first Saboteur. Then on my turn, I played a Saboteur with the same result, leaving Logan with no Saboteurs left.

Oh dear ...

bigbc79 wrote:

In spite of everything, Logan ended up coming in second with 32 points (which made us wonder what if he had bought a Province instead of two Saboteurs that one turn).

I can tell you - the saboteurs that made him lose HIS saboteurs would have costed him 2 VP cards. Most probably provinces, since it wasn't his lucky night, like you said

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sid Ward

Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
msg tools
Saboteur really makes for a bad introduction to intrigue. I have played the expansion several times and really like the set. Introduced it to 3 others who liked/loved the original and Saboteur was in the first set of cards we played with, and it was brutal and not fun for them. Unsurprisingly, the first player to buy the Saboteur (5/2 opener, Sab + no buy) did not win, but the game was long and frustrating and they didn't want to play again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Rodriguez
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mb
That's the thing about the Saboteur. It harms you too.. You lose a card and an action when it's in your hand. Is a card and an action worth the 2 money that you're hurting your opponent?

Well... 2 money is a Silver card. And a silver card only costs 3 not 5.

There's more to it than that, especially in the early game, but I'm unconvinced that concentrating on a Saboteur strategy will win. (Not that buying one or another in the hopes of crushing a province isn't a bad move - especially if you're behind).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James DeRosa
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The correct plural of Y'all is "all Y'all"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sidward wrote:
Saboteur really makes for a bad introduction to intrigue. I have played the expansion several times and really like the set. Introduced it to 3 others who liked/loved the original and Saboteur was in the first set of cards we played with, and it was brutal and not fun for them. Unsurprisingly, the first player to buy the Saboteur (5/2 opener, Sab + no buy) did not win, but the game was long and frustrating and they didn't want to play again
I will second the 'long and frustrating' part when Saboteur is on the board. Played with it the first time over the weekend and was ready to tear them up by the end of the game.

I've calmed down since then, but the card really does need to be introduced gently to new players. Think about the times you were turned into a spectator by having your deck clogged with curses or all of your money thieved away. Saboteur is worse than that. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Carter
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bar10jim wrote:
The correct plural of Y'all is "all Y'all"

I know, but it was a quote from "Sabotage" by the Beastie Boys. They apparently didn't know that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Schwa
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shiraiku wrote:
Think about the times you were turned into a spectator by having your deck clogged with curses or all of your money thieved away. Saboteur is worse than that. devil

And I can't wait to give it a shot this weekend. That statement reminds me of a 2 player game where I got to draw the entire curse deck. Still pulled out a win, but was definitely interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanner Griffin
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
thumbsup for the title.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.