Mont A.
United States
Carbondale
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks,

As the game stands, the Paragraph Reader to the player's left consults the initial Encounter Charts (paragraphs 1-121, pages 1-15) in the Book of Tales to determine what is being faced--and then has to convey that info to the Reaction Matrix Master to the player's right who, upon consulting the appropriate matrix and hearing the player's reaction, determines the correct result paragraph--and then has to convey that info back to the Paragraph Reader for the final denouement.

This seems a bit complicated and game-slowing to me. It also ensures that the first 15 pages of the Book of Tales -- which, unlike the Reaction Matrices, are not laminated -- are bound to become degraded through constant use.

So why not extract the Encounter Charts from the rest of the Book of Tales, and keep them with the Reaction Matrices instead? This will simplify and speed up game play, while minimizing wear and tear on the Book of Tales.

Towards that end, I've scanned all the Encounter Charts, and shrunk them to fit on four pages. The file can be downloaded here: clicky me, clicky me. Print the charts out on two double-sided pages, and keep with the Reaction Matrices for convenience.

(Many thanks to Zev himself for giving permission to post these aides for his wonderful game; and to Solamar and our other admins for all they do.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Praise seconded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. L. Lloyd
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
...as in my brain fails me at times.
badge
"I like turtles"
mbmbmbmbmb
Having the encounter charts separate really helps a 4 player game as it keeps the 4th player involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good thinking!

Less good thinking of the publisher: horrible font for the headlines!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Gee
United States
Detroit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You sir,

Are my hero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mont A.
United States
Carbondale
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad you folks can use them. Thanks for the feedback. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a GREAT idea.
Thanks very much for this!

I printed them out but I wonder if the quality could be increased? I printed them on a laser but the quality...

Does the original scan look the same as the PDF? I'm wondering if perhaps the PDF was compressed too much?

I'll try it on a differant laser later, see if it makes a differance.

Anyway thanks for doing this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Johnson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Duck!
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be nice if someone with access to the original would provide these. Scans will never look very good. Either that or type all of that up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cuzzle wrote:
It would be nice if someone with access to the original would provide these. Scans will never look very good. Either that or type all of that up.

Original files used to create the 300 page book you mean? I imagine only a couple people at zman would have those. Anyway, good quality scans should be pretty indistinguishable from the printed book if people aren't trying to produce proofs. I mean the purpose of doing this is to ease the lookup process and reduce the wear on the original, its not to produce publisher level proofs for commercial printing and editing.
I mean if zman wants to do that that would be great of course.

Typing it up and getting it to look like the original would be an enourmous amount of work. Are you volunteering to help?

I think what happened was the compression settings on the PDF were turned up too high, I'm betting his scans of the book were much higher quality than what the PDF ended up being. The default compression settings on PDF are usually ok for most uses, but when the entire document is just pictures of text I think its compressing them too much. Reducing that would also be a fairly easy fix if thats the problem.

Has anyone else printed these and have any comments? I've only printed them on 1 laser printer, so its also possible the issue is on my end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sounds like a job for universal head reference cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
sounds like a job for universal head reference cards?

Yeah, if I remember correctly he even said something about wanting to do something like that.

Edit:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3706481#3706481
Yeah I found the post, actually he says he's already done it
UniversalHead wrote:
I've made a play aid sheet with these paragraphs on it separately - I'll upload it soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Szegedi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FirsT off... Thanks for this! After I printed on heavy bond paper and laminated it.,I too., noticed yet it does the trick, it is a bit light... Especially seeing the difference between the (i) and (j) being so small and close alike. I can do it (I have pretty good eye sight) but thinking of the "next" guy.

Any way to darken the Matrix letters in the PDF.? other than that .... Great job! (thanks again!!!!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Frederick
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I typed up the lookup tables and formatted them in a highly-readable format. The file is in the approval queue, and hopefully will be approved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mfrederick wrote:
I typed up the lookup tables and formatted them in a highly-readable format. The file is in the approval queue, and hopefully will be approved.

Wow! That looks great, thanks for all the hard work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Frederick
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Ah great, approved:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/45422

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.