9 Posts

Steam» Forums » Rules

Subject: 2 questions about the rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Grumphy
msg tools
2 questions which occured in my gaming session last night:

- When an unowned, unfinished track is going to be connected when the urbanization tile is used on a town, do you have the right to claim this track?

- When there are only 2 people left in the turn-auction and one of them used the pass tile, does the first player has to overbid his previous bid when he wants to stay in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not quite sure about the first one - but as the Urbanizing player is in principle adding a bit of track to all 6 hexsides (if legal) I believe he should be able to claim unowned completed links.

As for the second question: a player NEVER has to outbid himself.
he can simply maintain the last bid he gave - as long as non-one has actually outbid him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the flying scotsman wrote:
- When an unowned, unfinished track is going to be connected when the urbanization tile is used on a town, do you have the right to claim this track?

This is probably not answered in the rules, but from discussions over many years regarding Steam's antecedent, Age of Steam, the answer is yes.

the flying scotsman wrote:
- When there are only 2 people left in the turn-auction and one of them used the pass tile, does the first player has to overbid his previous bid when he wants to stay in?

This is a difficut one. The rules as written seem to imply that this is exactly what must happen ("must either outbid the current high bidder...", which would be himself, "...or pass."). However, if we were to follow the answer which was given to the same question when it was asked of AoS, the answer would be no. My advice to you is to play the way that feels comfortable to you; with us, that means the answer is no, you are not required to outbid yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Yes. Effectively, a New City tile has six spokes coming out of it, and placing a New City tile such that it completes an unowned link makes it yours.

2) You never have to outbid yourself. (Use that Free Pass before there are only two players remaining!)

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AlexYeager wrote:
1) Yes. Effectively, a New City tile has six spokes coming out of it, and placing a New City tile such that it completes an unowned link makes it yours.

2) You never have to outbid yourself. (Use that Free Pass before there are only two players remaining!)

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games

Thank you Alex; might I suggest you clarify the second answer on the other thread asking this question?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah. I answered it on the http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/422432 thread. I'll relink.

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
fellonmyhead wrote:
Thank you Alex; might I suggest you clarify the second answer on the other thread asking this question?

Might I suggest you put the rule in the rule book?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fire Lord
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
fellonmyhead wrote:

Might I suggest you put the rule in the rule book?

Is it time for an FAQ thread?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Time for an FAQ page on the Mayfair site (with link to there, here), certainly...

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.