Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have read the rules at least 4 times + FAQs and summaries but I can't figure exactly how to proceed when moving the ring.

All I need, I think, is a clear example.

Suppose I use a character die to move. The track is at 6, so I can move up to 6 regions. That's allright.

BUT, is the hunt performed after every "step" of the movement or only after I have moved my full 6 regions (or less)?

Suppose I start at Rivendell, go through Fords of Bruinen, Hollin then Moria (Shadow stronghold), intending to reach Lorien after running through Dimrill Dale.

Can someone please explain step by step what I must do (including the hunt)?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Knöchel
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ok here is one example:

Fellowship is at Rivendell, the track is at 0

-Use Character Die->Move Track to 1
-Hunt, if success draw a hunt tile

if the Track is at a certain number, the Free People player may declare the Fellowship at the beginning of a turn. NO Hunt is done there. The FSP Figure is only moved when the Fesllowship is declared or revealed by the hunt and never moved by an action die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't use a character die to move the Fellowship directly, unless you want to split off part of the Fellowship.
You use a character die to move the track marker (That is, from 0 to 1, from 1 to 2 etc.), every time you use a character die to move the marker by 1, the shadow player rolls as many dice as he has in his hunt-box, the first time this happens in a single turn only a rolled six is a success, the second time it happens in a single turn fives also count as a success, the third time fours are a success etc.
There are a few modifiers depending on the last known position of the fellowship that give the Shadow player rerolls, like having Nazgul and Armies on the last known position.

Suppose you have done that and now your fellowship track is at 6, if the last hunt (the one performed when you moved the marker from 5 to 6) didn't reveal your fellowship, you now have to wait for the next turn to start, then, after drawing cards you can declare fellowship movement, and move it 6 regions without having to endure any further hunts.
However, if the last hunt (When the marker was moved from 5 to 6) succeeded in finding the felloship, you would have had to move it right away (6 regions) AND you couldn't have landed in Lorien (If the fellowship is forced to move due to being uncovered, it can't end its movement in an FP-Stronghold), moreover, there's a special SP-card (The Balrog card) that goes into effect if the Fellowship has to move through Moria due to being detected, of course this only applies if the SP already played this card.

So, if you declare fellowship movement, generally you don't have to roll for any hunts or other ill effects.
If you are compelled to move due to detection, you can't move into an FP-Stronghold AND if you move into or out of an SP-Stronghold (Not through, only if you start or end your movement there), the SP-player can draw a(nother) hunt-tile as if he had succeeded in a hunt.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Einmal ist keinmal
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me try.

From Rivendell to FoB:
-You declare you are moving the FSP by using a Character dice.
-Move the FSP marker to the 1st step along the FSP Track.
-SP rolls for the Hunt.
-If successful, resolve Hunt.
-Add your Character dice to the Hunt box.
-Your action is complete. It is now the SP turn to take an action or pass.
(the FSP figure is not moved unless revealed)

From Hollin to FoB:
-You declare you are moving the FSP by using a Character dice.
-Move the FSP marker to the 2nd step along the FSP Track.
-SP rolls for the Hunt.
-If successful, resolve Hunt.
-Add your Character dice to the Hunt box.
-Your action is complete.
(the FSP figure is not moved unless revealed)

Repeat until the FSP Track marker is on a number equal to or greater than the number of regions to Lorien (from the FSP last known position). During your next FSP phase, "declare" the FSP in Lorien by moving the FSP marker back to zero and placing the FSP figure in Lorien.

Of course, this becomes more complicated if you are revealed. And replace 1st, 2nd with 3rd, 4th, etc. as you move along the track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vinny Tee
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep this in mind:

The track only indicates the number of regions away from it's original position the Fellowship has moved.

It does not indicate how many regions the Fellowship can move. The Fellowship only ever moves 1 region per action die used.

Once you voluntarily reveal the Fellowship or the Fellowship is revealed as a result of a successful hunt, the track is re-set to zero and the Fellowship figure is placed in the new region.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice work, guys! I'll make a couple of corrections and notes:

Flamin_Jesus wrote:
You don't use a character die to move the Fellowship directly, unless you want to split off part of the Fellowship.

You're still not moving the Fellowship itself, just the separated Companions.

Flamin_Jesus wrote:
However, if the last hunt (When the marker was moved from 5 to 6) succeeded in finding the felloship, you would have had to move it right away (6 regions) AND you couldn't have landed in Lorien (If the fellowship is forced to move due to being uncovered, it can't end its movement in an FP-Stronghold)

It also can't move to a Free Peoples City.

Flamin_Jesus wrote:
If you are compelled to move due to detection, you can't move into an FP-Stronghold AND if you move into or out of an SP-Stronghold (Not through, only if you start or end your movement there), the SP-player can draw a(nother) hunt-tile as if he had succeeded in a hunt.

The extra tile is also drawn if you move through a Shadow Stronghold, not just into or out of it.

Desiderata wrote:
Repeat until the FSP Track marker is on a number equal to or greater than the number of regions to Lorien (from the FSP last known position). During your next FSP phase, "declare" the FSP in Lorien by moving the FSP marker back to zero and placing the FSP figure in Lorien.

Note that you may declare the Fellowship in any Fellowship phase in which the Fellowship is hidden (not revealed), not just when it can make it to a City or Stronghold. You may want to do this to get the Fellowship out of a Region with Nazgul or a Shadow Army or Stronghold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Krieghund wrote:
Nice work, guys! I'll make a couple of corrections and notes:

Flamin_Jesus wrote:

You're still not moving the Fellowship itself, just the separated Companions.

You're right, I should've made that clearer

Quote:
Flamin_Jesus wrote:

The extra tile is also drawn if you move through a Shadow Stronghold, not just into or out of it.

Really? Moo, that means I played this wrong all this time, though apart from Moria and the entry to Mordor there generally isn't a reason to do it anyway, still, I think I incorrectly "avoided" 1 or 2 tiles of travel through Moria this way

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Crowder
Canada
North Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While we're on this topic, I want to confirm something. The Fellowship has to declare in one of the outer two Mordor strongholds to start climbing up Mount Doom. That declaration triggers the rule about drawing an extra tile when it's in/passing through a Shadow stronghold, right (i.e. it's not an exempt freebie)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That normally only happens when the Fellowship is revealed, not declared. However, there are a couple of situations (the Balrog and one or two Expansion Event cards) that will also cause it when the Fellowship is declared. In those cases, declaring in Morannon or Minas Morgul would trigger it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.