Subject: Rule misses made Nordic Countries too easy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tryggvi Björgvinsson
Iceland
Kópavogur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TtR: Nordic Countries has been a favorite breakfast game (i.e. a short game, with easy setup, so that we can play a quick game during breakfast) of my fiance since I got it last Christmas. It actually was our first breakfast game, the game that showed us we could play one to start off a good day. Nordic Countries was my first TtR game (shortly after I got it and noticed how awestruck my fiance was, I got the USA TtR and then the 1910 expansion).

It wasn't until yesterday we were playing a game and I went to record it here (a couple of months ago I started to record my plays) that I noticed that something was wrong. A post talking about how to claim the route between Lieksa and Murmansk with 4 cards as random got me to read the rules again. Boy, oh, boy have we been playing it wrong.

1. We were using the rule that you could pick up as many locomotives as you want, but we didn't use the rule that they could only be used for ferry and tunnel routes. This means that all of a sudden the tunnel routes become more valuable and it gets harder to claim routes.

2. In a two player game we wildly used the double routes, both to close the route for another player and to easily get to our destination. We knew about the rule for two and three players in the USA TtR where you could only use one of the routes. We had assumed that the Nordic Countries map was better designed for two/three player games and you could use the double routes. This changes the game a lot.

3. Only locomotives when claiming a tunnel matches only when a locomotive pops up in the three cards drawn is another rule we missed. Not that it changes that much but still good to know.

4. Lieksa-Murmansk route was always too easy. The competition usually revolved around saving your locomotives, claim routes to complete your destination cards and at the end lay down a mix of locomotives and your highest number of train cards of the same color to finish the game by going to Murmansk. Actually needing four cards instead of a locomotive card and no locomotive cards can be used (except as a part of the four cards) makes it harder to claim the route to Murmansk. Another change in the game that makes it harder.

These small misses in the rule book made the game too easy. We had become so good at the game that we usually looked at the cards just for the information about where we were going and then both decided to keep all five of them (and we usually finished all of them). My strategy had become draw a lot of cards and don't claim routes and then find the right time to start claiming routes (made the game kind of dull for me).

I believe the next time we play Nordic Countries, we will be more careful about which destination cards to choose. We have to take into account that locomotives can only be used for claiming tunnels and ferries and we can only use one of the double routes (when playing two which is the standard breakfast game).

The game is about to get a lot more competitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Brousseau
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
tryggvib wrote:
The game is about to get a lot more competitive.

Let us know whether this stays up as a breakfast game :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tryggvi Björgvinsson
Iceland
Kópavogur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
barneyg wrote:
Let us know whether this stays up as a breakfast game :-)

Yup, it's still a breakfast game, albeit, as predicted, a more competitive one. TtR: Nordic Countries now jump starts the gray and mushy skull-processors faster than before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather Walters

Peninsula
Ohio
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is so funny. I just read the post about the 9 train route and thought the same thing...

You mean you are not supposed to use locomotives ass wild cards!?!?! That will change the game, it sure did in Switzerland. I did catch the 2 player one route (where there are two) rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Woods
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hehe,
Geeky_Farmer wrote:
"ass wild"

That made my day a little better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tryggvib wrote:
3. Only locomotives when claiming a tunnel matches only when a locomotive pops up in the three cards drawn is another rule we missed. Not that it changes that much but still good to know.

I don't have the rules handy, and I can't access DOW's site from work, but isn't this only the case if you play all locomotives? That's the way Europe and Marklin work as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Brinks
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Salt-Man Z wrote:
tryggvib wrote:

I don't have the rules handy, and I can't access DOW's site from work, but isn't this only the case if you play all locomotives? That's the way Europe and Marklin work as well.

Yup-
You're right

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hall
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Salt-Man Z wrote:
tryggvib wrote:

I don't have the rules handy, and I can't access DOW's site from work, but isn't this only the case if you play all locomotives?

I think that is what he was trying to say.

Salt-Man Z wrote:
That's the way Europe and Marklin work as well.

Marklin doesn't have tunnels. Did you mean Europe and Switzerland?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather Walters

Peninsula
Ohio
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
baconcow wrote:
Hehe,
Geeky_Farmer wrote:
"ass wild"

That made my day a little better.

Typos... I have a problem with those!

Glad I could make your day more entertaining! devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wraith wrote:
Salt-Man Z wrote:
tryggvib wrote:
I don't have the rules handy, and I can't access DOW's site from work, but isn't this only the case if you play all locomotives?
I think that is what he was trying to say.

You're probably right. I think I read it as saying you needed to play locos to match locos flipped.

Wraith wrote:
Salt-Man Z wrote:
That's the way Europe and Marklin work as well.
Marklin doesn't have tunnels. Did you mean Europe and Switzerland?

Sure, why not? (Though I've never played Switzerland.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.