James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Help!!??

I've had a Memoir '44 board out on my game table for a couple of weeks. Last night, I noticed it's warped a little. It's still playable, but one end is definitely no longer laying flat.

The thing is, I had some boxes laying on it to prevent this very thing, but the boxes weren't covering the whole thing, just the center of the board on both ends, but the board's corners were exposed.

It has been humid in my area the last couple of days, and I'm sure this is mostly the cause. But there's not a lot that I can do about that, I suppose.

So, can I fix the board? I have 2 Memoir base sets, and I took the other board from its box and it was fine. So I've come to the conclusion that it's best to fold the board back up and put it back into its box. Is this the best thing to do?

I've now got both boards back into their boxes. I'm supposed to play a session of Memoir tonight and I'm planning on using the warped one to see how bad it is....

So, what's the best way to fix this board, and how do I prevent this from happening in the future?

Thanks for any and all input,
jrbentley
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out the posts in this thread, maybe it'll give you some guidance to fix that board:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/290328
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is an excellent GeekList of board game repair tips...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/20894
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Bing
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
Hi James

To prevent this from happening in the future I will take a text out of a thread I created for my customers...

"...Once again, paper based objects need care. Paper is sensitive to changes in humidity and temperature. Actually, think of your entire game collection as bottles of wine. Wine likes constant temperatures, and so too does paper. If you store your games in the garage, expect them to start buckling after repeated cold/hot cycles of days and seasons. This applies to ALL your games. I work in the print and packaging sector so trust me on this one!

Remember this: Paper and carboard soaks up moisture from the surrounding air when brought out of a cool dry climate and into a warm and moist one. Also, a release of moisture from the paper will happen when transferring from a warm, moist climate back into a colder, drier one. This release and uptake of moisture causes a dimensional change in paper - when this happens too often the result will be buckling and reduced quality of the paper. 22°Celsius (71,6°F) / 40-60% humidity is just about optimal."

Cheers for now!

(from: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/373292)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.