Jeffrey Speer
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Gravity Falls
badge
Remember, reality is an illusion, the universe is a hologram, buy gold, bye!
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a great game versus Nyarlathotep last weekend, but the more I thought about it the more I wanted to ask whether or not we interpreted the rules correctly.

I was playing Tommy, and I had his personal story, where his quest is to be devoured. I was starting player, and as the Mythos card was drawn, Nyarlathotep awoke and set about eating people with no clue tokens. Here's where I'm wondering if I bent the rules, or if I was following them in the spirit of the game.

When The Creature With a Thousand Faces awoke, Tom realized he didn't have any information to protect himself from being mind-flayed as the Great Old One turned his gaze to him. He ran forward, screaming madly, and threw himself at the Great Beast, only to be impaled, and he realized this is the last, best thing he could do. As he was falling toward blackness, he unloaded Betsy, his trusted rile, full into the face of the Beast, which seemed to recoil once before Tommy saw nothing, ever again.

Samaras watched Tommy go down fighting with his last bit of strength, and she knew then that she would be next. Her investigations had been fruitless, the maniacs in the town had all been raving about the perfonace of a played call 'The King In Yellow' and it had been all she could do to avoid being dragged to several showings of the play as she desperately searched for more information. Even so, she was unable to find anything pertinent that could stop the Old One from tearing first through her, and then through the rest of Arkham. She felt helpless, and it was all she could do to stand there and watch the young man scream and be rended. She heard his rifle go off, which sounded oddly loud. Nyarlathotep reared and seemed to move in all directions as it clawed and scraped at something. It almost seemed... wounded. Suddenly, she had an idea....

As first player, I figured that Tommy would be devoured immediately, because he had no clue tokens when 'Teppy woke up. But then, going off Tommy's quest card, the investigators benefit from his death, which removes a Doom token from the doom track, and then gives 5 clue tokens to an investigator of your choice. I chose the next player, my friend who was playing Samaras [? I can't remember her first name, she is the investigator who nullifies resistances and reduces immunities to resistance in combat] The reason I did this is that she had no clue tokens and would have been devoured next.

My question is, did I interpret the Start of Battle condition correctly? Or would both he and I have died immediately, without a chance for me to hand him the five clue tokens from my completed quest as I died?

The two of them played the Final Battle out, and I was manning the Final Battle deck. They even both survived Teppy's Thousand Masks Plot card, and in the final rounds, the last player was devoured as he ran out of clues, and Samaras dealt the final 3 hits to remove the last doom token, killing the Elder God.

I thought this was very thematic, and cinematic, and I loved the idea of my character going down fighting, and able to keep the others alive for a few more rounds, but I couldn't help but wonder if I interpreted the Start of Battle correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends upon under which heading the paragraph appears.

If it's under "Final Battle", which I think it is, they're both devoured
simutaneously, before the first attack.

If it's under the "Attack" section, then, Tommy can fight for one round, since investigator attack comes before AO attack.

As first player, he would check for clue tokens before the other investigators, and, when devoured as a result of having none, his p.s. would kick in and he could give the clue tokens to whomever he wished.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The problem is, we have no idea when Personal Stories are supposed to resolve. And I am a little dissappointed in them because just about every one raises some question. There have been complaints about lack of playtesting with other elements of the game and I truly believe they didn't spend nearly enough time on these.

But given what we do know, effects usually are completed in full and nothing can interrupt them. So Nyarly's "Start of Battle" would be completed in its entirty without interrupt. In this case, all investigatoves without Clues are devoured, not just the first player or any order. All of them.

Once Tommy is devoured, then his personal story should take effect and he could pass out the Clue tokens. Since Zoey was also devoured, she could not be the target of these Clues. You would have to give them to a surviving investigator.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Speer
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Gravity Falls
badge
Remember, reality is an illusion, the universe is a hologram, buy gold, bye!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies! That is what I started to wonder. It should make the later games play out more smoothly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Walker
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nyarly should eat everyone with n clues in one go as part of his 'Start of Battle' effect. However you are welcome to make a house rule to override this, such as 'Personal stories can interrupt effects' or 'Investigator deaths cause a new step which chains onto an effect' or however you like. I notice house rules are encouraged in this game more so than any other I played. For instance we say you can have an Arkham encounter at a gate if you have the explored marker and do not want to seal the gate that turn, cos that comes up a few times in our games. Then another Investigator can run to the shop and get a research material before coming to give it to the guy at the location so he can seal it (the person coming to the location goes to the OW though so it's like a self sacrifice thing - anything that adds tension or drama is a good idea!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
lordocean wrote:
For instance we say you can have an Arkham encounter at a gate if you have the explored marker and do not want to seal the gate that turn, cos that comes up a few times in our games. Then another Investigator can run to the shop and get a research material before coming to give it to the guy at the location so he can seal it (the person coming to the location goes to the OW though so it's like a self sacrifice thing - anything that adds tension or drama is a good idea!)

We do exactly the same thing, for the same reason.

Also, in order to encourage more interaction, we allow a player to exchange an item in transit, at the expense of a movement point. (Rather than having to end/stop their movement in the same location as the other investigator.)

To handle the particular situation you describe, we allow that, when a gate has an 'explored' token, another investigator may transit that location during their movement without getting sucked through. In this way, it's not a self-sacrifice in our game for the other player to come help - it costs them some movement points, but they can come in, hand over something, and move away, without getting sucked through the gate.

Eg, an elder sign. Ok, we're cheating, but we have very specific rules for cheating with !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Scothern
United Kingdom
Glasgow
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jimb wrote:
Also, in order to encourage more interaction, we allow a player to exchange an item in transit, at the expense of a movement point. (Rather than having to end/stop their movement in the same location as the other investigator.)

You are allowed to trade during movement, you do not have to stop, and you do not have to spend a movement point to do the trade. You are not cheating! In fact, you are making it slightly harder by spending a movement point when you don't have to :-)

It's perfectly legal to move to a location with a gate, pass on an Elder Sign to someone waiting to seal the gate, and move away (without getting sucked into the gate) :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
scotherns wrote:
You are allowed to trade during movement, you do not have to stop.

Wow - thanks for the correction - I can't believe I've been messing that up, I verified it soooo many times! ['Trading Equipment', p23]
gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.