Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johan Johannesson
Sweden
Malmoe
Skane
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

You are defending a locale with a corps in reserve and your opponent attacks you. Do you detach your troops immediately when naming defenders or do you detach after the attack has been resolved?

That is, if I want to defend against an attack with two units from my corps and the attack turned out to be a feint, do I have to detach both of them or only the piece that ends up blocking the approach?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Simmons
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Simon_le_Bon wrote:

If I want to defend against an attack with two units from my corps and the attack turned out to be a feint, do I have to

(a) detach both of them or

(b) only the piece that ends up blocking the approach?

(b) is correct.

Naming a block a defending block does not in and of itself detach the block from its corps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Here the truceless armies yet / Trample, rolled in blood and sweat; / They kill and kill and never die; / And I think that each is I. // None will part us, none undo / The knot that makes one flesh of two, /
badge
Sick with hatred, sick with pain, / Strangling -- When shall we be slain? // When shall I be dead and rid / Of the wrong my father did? / How long, how long, till spade and hearse / Puts to sleep my mother's curse?
mbmbmbmbmb
Detaching 2 units from a defending corps that is located in the reserve only makes sense if the defender is certain that the attack threat will be a feint, since the defender can now move both units to the defense approach in response to the feint.

Otherwise, detaching 2 units from a corps that is located in the reserve and using them to defend against a real attack is wasteful, given that only 1 detached unit can be selected (and used) as a 'defending unit' in step 2 of the attack procedure. Again, the defender can only select 1 detached unit, but any number of corps, if he does not have units already located in the defense approach when the attack makes his threat there.

This is why corps are good for defending - there are no restrictions on the number you can use in defending from the reserve, even if these corps have only 1 (!) unit in them; they're still considered corps and not detached units. Conversely, corps that have been 'shattered' by defeat and / or retreat are vulnerable to attack, since they have a much more difficult time defending against real attacks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David Ells wrote:
Otherwise, detaching 2 units from a corps that is located in the reserve and using them to defend against a real attack is wasteful, given that only 1 detached unit can be selected (and used) as a 'defending unit' in step 2 of the attack procedure.

I think you're confused on the details here, David. You do not detach units to defend, you declare units to defend. Only after the battle is resolved would a defender in this case have to detach a unit and advance it to the approach, per the rules for the Completion step on page 7.

The key point is that if the attacker does not feint, the 2 units do still belong to the same corps during combat resolution, and can both be declared as lead units, assuming they are of the same type and from the same corps.

[edit] Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse, but if I'm going to clarify a point I think I should be thorough and precise.

I originally said something about two units from the same corps also being able to fight together if one was a lead and the other counter-attacked. I've removed that after realizing that the corps they belong to is irrelevant in that case. One could be detached, or they could be from different corps, and you could still lead with one and counter-attack with the other.

Two units are required to be in the same corps in two specific cases during combat:

1) when declared as leading units from reserve
2) when declared as counter-attackers

There are additional restrictions, e.g. both units must be of the same type.

To reinforce the original point, detachment of these units from their corps, as a result of moving to the approach, doesn't occur until after combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Here the truceless armies yet / Trample, rolled in blood and sweat; / They kill and kill and never die; / And I think that each is I. // None will part us, none undo / The knot that makes one flesh of two, /
badge
Sick with hatred, sick with pain, / Strangling -- When shall we be slain? // When shall I be dead and rid / Of the wrong my father did? / How long, how long, till spade and hearse / Puts to sleep my mother's curse?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Sphere. I'll review the rules again and see where I was confused. Sigh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.