Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
I recently moved out of the apartment in Chicago I'd lived in for the past five years, into a smaller place. This was by design, as I was trying to get out from under the meaningless clutter of my life (so I can have more room for the meaningful clutter, like boardgames, of course). So I've been sifting not only through the stuff I'd accumulated over the last five years, but through the boxes of crap that I'd moved into the last apartment and then dumped in a closet.

So I'm going through twenty years of accumulation, and I've gotten rid of about half of my possessions. Last week, I put an ad on Craigslist for free comics and LPs and books, and got about fifty responses in an hour, and that night had a couple come over and haul it all away. I coulda eBayed it or something, but frankly, I just wanted to be out from under it! Five long boxes of comics, five feet of LPs, shelves upon shelves of books... This stuff is a horrible pain in the ass to move!

One thing I've been coming across a lot of are greeting cards. Birthdays, Christmas, Halloween, whatever. They seem to have infiltrated pretty much every corner of my existence, sandwiched between books and records, in rubber-banded stacks tucked in boxes of miscellanea, in the back of drawers... Ugh!

I've been throwing them away as I find them, but not without a twinge of guilt. It's silly, I know; greeting cards are the poster child of needless consumption and artificially manufactured necessity. But still, that's my mom's signature in there, and it feels weird to consign it to the recycling bin.

What do y'all do with these damn things?

Poll
Excluding ones that have grave sentimental value, what do you do with greeting cards? (You know, the typical Hallmark, signed "With Love, Uncle Al" kind.)
Keep them all filed away in a box next to ticket stubs for every movie I ever went to in High School.
Keep the ones with naked ladies on them filed away under my bed next to the Sears catalog bra section.
Make sure to remove checks or cash and toss 'em away.
Keep 'em for a couple of years, then finally throw them out as you wonder why you bothered keeping them in the first place.
      67 answers
Poll created by Holmes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
I only keep them if they were hand crafted. Stuff like Hallmark Greetings get recycled next day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hedke
United States
Gibraltar
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Most problems can be solved with either a stiff drink, a bowel movement, or a bullet.
mbmbmbmbmb
You left off the option using a bottle of Liquid Paper or Whiteout to remove your name and reuse them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards are initially placed on a bureau in our living room for a few days (until the requisite event is "complete") and then recycled.

By recycled I mean: we give them to the kids at the preschool where my wife teaches. They cut up and do kid stuff with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boo
Canada
Kanata
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthew.marquand wrote:
The cards are initially placed on a bureau in our living room for a few days (until the requisite event is "complete") and then recycled.

By recycled I mean: we give them to the kids at the preschool where my wife teaches. They cut up and do kid stuff with them.

Excellent idea. I have 2 nieces who like cutting stuff up. This would be perfect for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You gave away comic books?

Gob-smacked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
If I read them more than once before they hit the trash can, then they were really exceptional. The life of the average greeting card sent to me is around 30 seconds. Of course the life of the average greeting card sent to Rikki would probably be 15 years, if her husband didn't keep throwing them away. The thing is she has never once said to me "Where did that card go that [insert relative's name] sent me?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that men can just send sealed empty envelopes to each other.

Thinking of you, stamp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Faust
United States
Malverne
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've given up trying to throw them away. My wife will have none of it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AMERIGAMER!
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about just shit can 'em?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone who knows me knows that I despise all holidays (and other ritualistic behavior) and everything to do with them (except the food). All cards I receive immediately go in the trash. I don't put up lame decorations, give out candy, do any holiday travel, nor even repeat the most secular of greetings (eg Happy New Year). I don't say anything when people sneeze, and I don't expect anything from them when I do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife was amazed when she found out I throw away greeting cards. "Why, what else do you do with them?" I asked. "Well, keep them," she said. Bleah. I don't need to keep a reminder of everybody who ever sent me a card with "happy birthday" written inside. I'll see birthday cards every November, and that's all I need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I generally keep them until I get tired and throw them out. I've only saved a few and those are in some kind of keepsake album (i.e., baby shower, daughter's birth, her 1st birthday, etc.)

I will save nice ones to put into picture frames for easy and beautiful art.

I have some saved that I bought as art/collectibles.

Christmas cards I save and recycle into gift tags. I haven't had to buy holiday gift tags for over 20 years!

It is always a good idea to ask day care centers, after-school programs, and maybe even adult daycare/nursing homes. Many places would love to have them for crafts and projects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep the ones my children make me (Other than my son, where else could I get a father's day card with EVA-01 fighting Predators?) the rest get tossed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
Holmes! wrote:
Five long boxes of comics, five feet of LPs, shelves upon shelves of books...

What do y'all do with these damn things?

*pant*pant*

I am having trouble breathing right now

Dear god, man...

hang on...

*pant*pant*

K

I think I...

*pant*pant*

YOU DID WHAT??????

Are you crazy?

KEEP EVERYTHING. FOR ALL TIMES.

Ok, I'm now able to throw away *most* magazines, even Rolling Stones, and I just gave my wife some crappy Records to donate somewhere - although somehow those have now migrated up to her room, where I can see them and it is driving me batty, so maybe not everything but damn, homie, you know how to hurt a brother.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Follow up for all of the sane people out there:

Poll: Before throwing out your greeting cards
Do you even bother reading them?
Yes
No
      22 answers
Poll created by BoB3K

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Holmes! wrote:
So I'm going through twenty years of accumulation, and I've gotten rid of about half of my possessions. Last week, I put an ad on Craigslist for free comics and LPs and books, and got about fifty responses in an hour, and that night had a couple come over and haul it all away...

Holmes! wrote:
One thing I've been coming across a lot of are greeting cards. Birthdays, Christmas, Halloween, whatever

Let me get this straight...

You're throwing away books, LPs, and comics, and you're stressing out about keeping greeting cards?

Wow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
sisteray wrote:
I think that men can just send sealed empty envelopes to each other.

Thinking of you, stamp.

You mean you never opened the one I sent to you?! cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
edosan wrote:
You're throwing away books, LPs, and comics, and you're stressing out about keeping greeting cards?

Haha. Well, when you put it like that...

I really wasn't that stressed about throwing them away; it was an easy decision. But finding them tucked everywhere made me wonder why I kept them at all, and made me wonder what other people did with 'em.

I should say that I did, of course, cherry pick my comics and LPs to keep some, and I did sell the most valuable items last year. I kept the records that I still had some sentimental interest in, like Chipmunk Punk and my autographed copy of Randy Newman's Good Old Boys, and any stuff that my bands did. I also kept my collection of Silver Age comics with superheroes appearing as or with Satan, devils, and demons--now that's a niche collection!

To either allay your worries or pour salt on the wounds, depending on your inclinations, here's some of the stuff I gave away:

LPs: Pete Seeger, Phil Ochs, Charley Pride, Tom T Hall, Julie London, June Christy, Ann-Margret, Willie, Waylon, Willie & Waylon, Hank Snow, Hank Williams, Hank Thompson, Jackie Washington, Jackie Wilson, Tom Paxton, Woody Guthrie, AC/DC, Bill Cosby, George Carlin, Jackie Mason...

Comics: X-Men, X-Factor, ROM Spaceknight (excellent, underrated comic!!), Supergirl, Defenders, Marvel Two-in-One, Marvel Team-Up, Wonder Woman, Stray Bullets, She-Hulk, Castle Waiting...

Almost all of that stuff is either in digital format or collected editions, and I don't feel a twinge of regret in letting 'em go. If I wanted to, I coulda taken some time to organize and post 'em for sale or trade, but it was worth it to me just to be quit of them.

What's next on the chopping block? Well, I really don't wanna haul around those Gamemaster boxes or '80s fantasy/war games anymore...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys mentioned magazines. We subscribed one year to National Geographic. We kept those magazines for almost 10 years, neither one of us could donate them (we never, ever contemplated throwing them away--horrors!).

We finally donated them to the public library before we moved 3 years ago.....and it was HARD!!!

kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

When you have to move, it's amazing what stuff gets pitched. Fortunately in Knoxville, we had an awesome outlet for all sorts of media. Take whatever in there, and they'd give you 50-60% of what they'd sell it for.

I'm trying to go through some stuff of ours now to thin out the shelves before our next move.

As to greeting cards, they usually sit on the mantle or kitchen counter for a couple weeks, then get recycled. I hadn't thought of giving them to kids to cut up! Now I have that outlet, too! I have saved several from family members and dear friends in the past. Every once in a while (read, four years when I seem to move...), I'll go through and pitch a bunch, but still keep a handful from some family members who have passed on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
You guys mentioned magazines. We subscribed one year to National Geographic. We kept those magazines for almost 10 years, neither one of us could donate them (we never, ever contemplated throwing them away--horrors!).

We finally donated them to the public library before we moved 3 years ago.....and it was HARD!!!

kiss

+1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.