Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Franke
Germany
Nuremberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played this for the first time yesterday following the German rules.

In contrast to alle other languages I was able to decipher, the German rules award 3 points per correct guess to the Narrator istead of a flat 3 points regardless of how many other players guessed correctly. (The exceptions for zero and all correct guesses do apply, of course.)

Not knowing the game in the correct way, the rule did nor detract at all from our experience. In hindsight, I think it might even have made it more interesting, by giving the Narrator an incentive to lead as many other players as possible to his card, without going bust (i.e. only correct guesses).

However, with this erroneous variant, the scoring track was a little too short, and (which is incidentally the case in a 5 player game) everyone should play an equal number of turns as Narrator (as scoring opportunities are better as Narrator).

I like the conflicting goals of attracting as many correct guessers without giving everything away quite a lot. However, the big point swings in a lucky Narrator turn might be a little too unbalancing.

Therefore, I thought of a milder version: You could award the narrator the usual three points flat, and then have him score an additional point per correct guess (just like any other players with their cards).

What do you think of that?

And to the German speaking BGGers: Be aware of the rules error and verify with the English or French rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hélio Andrade
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Therefore, I thought of a milder version: You could award the narrator the usual three points flat, and then have him score an additional point per correct guess (just like any other players with their cards).

That sounds interesting, i will try this variant in my next games...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zee Garcia
United States
Homestead
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Board Game Blender!
mb
It sounds like it might be a good idea to curve the points the narrator receives in this variant based on the number of players at the table. Say:

In a 3-4 player game -> 3 points per correct guess to the narrator.
In a 5-6 player game -> 2 points per correct guess to the narrator.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Idolomantis diabolica
msg tools
Narrator already get points for attracting as many people as possible to his card: doing so, he turn other players from getting points. Your suggestion will double this bonus and shift balance from very complex stories to very easy

My suggestion is to give 0-1 points to Narrator in 5-6 player game if only 1 player guessed right card -- this will fix cases when story was very complex and single hit is just random

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.