Power Grid» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Time for my revenge... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pasi Lallinaho
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
Xubuntu contributor. Learn more about Xubuntu at xubuntu.org.
badge
Hello!
mbmbmbmbmb
Before I go any further, I have to admit that due to my bad memory/mistake we disobeyed the rules even before starting the game - Step 3 was shuffled in the supply deck and not put in the bottom of it. IMHO, this didn't break the game even if it did have some effect on the gameplay.

On my previous review I described how badly I played and lost the game. Now it was the time to get my revenge. The only player from last time in addition to me playing was "K", who finished second. Again we had two new players to PG - yay!

After explaining the rules we went for a quick start. The first turns happened in quite a speed and I was only making sure I don't fall way back in the cities. I was quite lonely on the far north (brown and lila areas were out of the game) and I decided to expand to south only and leave Flensburg for later. That turned out to work out quite well and quite quickly it happened that the 5-6 city plants came into the current market.

I got the first 6 city plant, even if I only had some 3 cities. I was already fearing that I would have the same destiny as the last time, but... The incorrectly placed "Step 3" -card came up. I got some benefit from this, but the two new players on red and blue gained the most out of this, as step 2 hadn't still started.

My lonely position at the north made sure that I could always buy new cities what ever happened - cheaply. After expanding and expanding, I finally bought my second 6 plant - at that time I maybe had 4 or 5 cities. People really got scared at this point that I would easily walk to victory...

The fight was still quite tight as I was actually quite much the last player all the time and everyone else could match my capacity at that time. "K" was actually quite a threat to my empire, as she was similarly quite lonely in the south (yellow) and could easily expand to the east as well as west now.

The game came into its turning point in the round when the fusion (50) plant came out. At the last round I had to save some money since I lacked 1 electro to build another city. But that turned out to my favour. I got the plant for only 55 electro since nobody else couldn't really race with me. I could easily expand as I didn't need that much resources (which were really cheap at that time, the cheapest coal and oil were consistently only 1-3 electro!) to power my cities.

The game rolled steadily towards its end. At some point, when the plants were already almost running out, it was time for another turning point. I had 6+6+6 plants, "K" had only 6+6+5, "T2" had 7+6+5 and "H2" had 7+6+3. The plant #42 turned out (2 coal -> 6 cities). "K" and "H2" hopelessly needed that. In the end, "K" got it for 141 electro (!), which was a bit too much... But at least she could stop "H2" from buying any 6 plant.

No plants that could change the outcome turned out anymore, so everybody was just mostly expanding. On the last round, it was "H2" who first built 21 cities (but only had capacity for 17 cities) and later on I matched. "K" lacked some 20 electro to build her next city...

With 21 cities and capacity of 18 I WAS THE WINNER! With the matched capacity and 19 cities both, "K" and "T2", money would decide the second place... "K", 11 electro... "T2", 27 electro! A newcomer had placed second again. The last rounds made a big difference - if "H2" had won the 42 plant, she would've been second in the game. But now she was left at the last place.

The final conclusion was that "K" did the right decision buying the 42 plant, even if it cost her the second place. If she wouldn't have gotten that, she would still have been third or maybe even last... And if "H2" would have got the plant cheaply, she might have been a threat even for me...

Phew!

Also I'm quite happy that we seem to be building a quite solid gaming group even we lost some people due to moving to another cities. And what's even better, most of the players are excited about PG! Maybe this means I will write even more session reports...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Nealley

Ardmore
Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC, don't you need the capacity to power the cities to score them at game end?

In other words, if you could only power 18 of 21 cities in your network and another player can power 19 of 19 cities, then the 2nd player wins on the 1st Victory criterion.

Only if you power the same number, e.g., 19 of 21 cities vs. 19 of 19 cities, does the 2nd Victory criterion come up (which I think is the # of cities in network, so that 1st player would win in this example).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph DiMuro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoa boy... where to begin...

First of all, with 4 players, the game ends when someone gets to 17 cities, not 21. Second of all, the winner is whoever powers the most of their cities at the end. The one and only tiebreaker is money; number of cities in the network is NOT used as a tiebreaker. So if you had just 18 capacity (and the resources to power them all), then there would be no point in buying any cities beyond the 18th. It would just be a waste of money.

Apparently, you finished the game with three players having 18 capacity and at least that many cities built. Betcha if you had been playing it right (and all three of you stopped at 18 cities), you would've lost on the tiebreaker...

Guess you'll have to wait until next time to get your revenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Schlatter
United States
Shreveport
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
It's The Winslow!
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, you might want to check how you are handling the current and future plant market. While it's possible to get a 6 power plant very early in the game, the fact that you can only buy from the four lowest power plants (and the removal of the highest during Bureacracy) makes it very unlikely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I think it's quite likely they've got the power plant rules wrong as well, likely either drawing a new plant and placing it in the hole or at the end (instead of re-arranging them all).

And it sure sounds like they weren't powering the cities to determine the winner, just calculating capacity.

Pasi, you might want to pretend you've never played Power Grid (because according to the above, you really haven't ) and go back and read the rules completely from the beginning.

This is quite an easy game to screw up rules wise, and it *really* affects the game play when it's done incorrectly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Nelson
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
Yes, I think it's quite likely they've got the power plant rules wrong as well, likely either drawing a new plant and placing it in the hole or at the end (instead of re-arranging them all).

And it sure sounds like they weren't powering the cities to determine the winner, just calculating capacity.

Pasi, you might want to pretend you've never played Power Grid (because according to the above, you really haven't ) and go back and read the rules completely from the beginning.

This is quite an easy game to screw up rules wise, and it *really* affects the game play when it's done incorrectly.

Unfortunately my thoughts too. You need to reread the power grid rules again to make sure that you play it correctly next time. I definitely wouldn't count this game as a victory for yourself, there is no way to know how it would have played out if you had played it correctly. Power Grid is a tough game to figure out how to play correctly, read the Power Grid FAQ on this site as well for additional help after reading the rules. Also a good idea to have another player read the rules too, that way 2 people can figure it out.

Based on reading your session report, sounds like the main things that you guys need to watch out for next time are:
making sure step 3 card is the last card in the power plant stack

most number of powered cities wins the game, not capacity

game ends in that turn when someone builds to the total number of cities needed to end the game (see rules for end game conditions based on number of players)

there are probably others to watch out for, the rules will help you.

Once you play it correctly, you will like the game even more. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Lallinaho
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
Xubuntu contributor. Learn more about Xubuntu at xubuntu.org.
badge
Hello!
mbmbmbmbmb
herendil66 wrote:
IIRC, don't you need the capacity to power the cities to score them at game end?

Yes you do have to have the capacity, and we did that correctly. Yes we did power those cities. I should have been more verbose about this.

TrojH wrote:
First of all, with 4 players, the game ends when someone gets to 17 cities, not 21.

That's correct. That was the another misreading. I skipped mostly all but the last page of the rules. Stupid me.

TrojH wrote:
Second of all, the winner is whoever powers the most of their cities at the end. The one and only tiebreaker is money; number of cities in the network is NOT used as a tiebreaker. So if you had just 18 capacity (and the resources to power them all), then there would be no point in buying any cities beyond the 18th. It would just be a waste of money.

As I stated earlier, we got this rule right, except the order of tiebreakers. According to the rules, after powering cities, the next tiebreaker is money. If the money is tied, the next tiebreaker is cities.

Possibly the player who finished last might have been in the 2nd place, but the winner was still clear - as we *did* play to 21 cities, even if that was incorrect.

TrojH wrote:
Apparently, you finished the game with three players having 18 capacity and at least that many cities built. Betcha if you had been playing it right (and all three of you stopped at 18 cities), you would've lost on the tiebreaker...

That's possible. I also might have played differently

mschlat wrote:
Also, you might want to check how you are handling the current and future plant market. While it's possible to get a 6 power plant very early in the game, the fact that you can only buy from the four lowest power plants (and the removal of the highest during Bureacracy) makes it very unlikely.

This is something we did right. The cards draw that way the big plants were available really early. Almost all the smaller card were at the bottom of the pile.

Pasi, you might want to pretend you've never played Power Grid ...

I truly agree this makes me look like a clown blush. I've actually played Power Grid some 15 times maybe. I know that's a little, but time to time I have had hard time getting it to table. Anyway, most of those games have been played right as we have read through the rules over and over again.

Our game took 3 hours anyway (due to the two new players and the other player thinking ages her moves) plus explaining the rules - maybe 30 minutes.

I really should make a cheat sheet to remember to go through all the rules. While I personally think my English is quite fluent and I can read and understand it easily, it still isn't my native language, thus its easy to misread. Also, I should get more people to read the rules, because usually I'm the only one who has ever read the them.

Thanks everybody for the comments. This has definitely been a learning point. But after all, all of us had a fun time playing the game even if we did a few things wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
emunkki wrote:
I truly agree this makes me look like a clown blush.

Now now, none of that, we're just teasing.

Good to hear you did have most of the rules are right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Royce Hix
United States
Mequon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as you had fun!

It reminds me of our first 'real' game with Power Grid. My buddy and I played a 2-player game very, very late at night and gave up due to mental tiredness. Once we pulled it out and played a full game, as soon as Step 2 hit, we thought it meant 'all 15 cost cities are now available', so we begun building up cities we already had. When Step 3 came up, the game pretty much ended the next turn, since we all just added 20 cost houses to cities we were already at, for no connection costs.

Despite being a complete sham of a game, it was fun, and we all laughed pretty hard when we read it correctly, after wondering why Steps 2 & 3 went so quickly.. There's always room for learning, don't take it too hard. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.