Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Watkins
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I may have been playing things slightly wrong.

For Web, Burn, Bleed, Daze, Stun and Knockback we have been playing that these effects only take place if the hero takes 1 or more actual wounds. In other words if 2 damage is done on a character with 3 armour then the special effect does not take place.

I am beginning to suspect that it should take effect if the attacking creature does not miss whether the attack gets through the armour or not?

Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Lavigne
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andywatkins1963 wrote:
I am beginning to suspect that it should take effect if the attacking creature does not miss whether the attack gets through the armour or not?

This is correct, you've been playing it wrong. In fact, the rules clearly state as such. From the base rulebook (the ruling hasn't changed since) description of Web:

"After inflicting at least 1 damage (before applying the effects of armor) to a figure [...]"

Emphasis mine. Bleed, burn, daze, frost, knockback, stun, swallow, and web all function in the same manner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryann Turner
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert is correct.

Imagine wearing a big suit of plate mail and having a giant club hit you upside the head or in the chest. You might not be bleeding, but you most certainly would have your bell rung or the wind knocked out of you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
And in the case of the Bleed ability, somewhere it's mentioned it represents taking lots of small scratches that bleed heavily. Thus, while you may not be instantly hurt from it much, the loss of blood will eventually cause you to be "damaged" by it. With armor, I'm not quite sure the best analogy if it's full head-to-toe plate mail, but I guess the figures that cause Bleed have such sharp claws that even through the armor you get such nasty scratches.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Watkins
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys, that will make the creatures a little more effective, especially the master spider with web i think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Lavigne
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
And in the case of the Bleed ability, somewhere it's mentioned it represents taking lots of small scratches that bleed heavily. Thus, while you may not be instantly hurt from it much, the loss of blood will eventually cause you to be "damaged" by it. With armor, I'm not quite sure the best analogy if it's full head-to-toe plate mail, but I guess the figures that cause Bleed have such sharp claws that even through the armor you get such nasty scratches.

There's no reason the bleeding can't be internal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
confi wrote:
andywatkins1963 wrote:

This is correct, you've been playing it wrong. In fact, the rules clearly state as such. From the base rulebook (the ruling hasn't changed since) description of Web:

"After inflicting at least 1 damage (before applying the effects of armor) to a figure [...]"

Emphasis mine. Bleed, burn, daze, frost, knockback, stun, swallow, and web all function in the same manner. :)

Further, the bit emboldened above isn't even strictly necessary. Damage and Wounds are clearly differentiated in the attack sequence (even though it is a mess and contains several obvious errors).

Go through the Attack sequence on DJitD pg 9-11. Especially step 6. Damage is the result of the attack before it is applied to the target. Specifically, the first part of step 6 is when you added all dice results, surge spending, item bonuses abilities, skills and applicable effects together, to get something called Total Damage. This then has Armour subtracted from it to become 'actual damage'. Actual Damage is then converted to wounds on a point for point basis (this is actually unclear except in the example. I believe 'actual damage' should be simply replaced by 'wounds' and not ever exist. Thee is 'Total Damage', which is the result that the attack delivered, and 'Wounds' which is the end result after the defender has absorbed the attack.)
Anyway, by now you have actual 'wounds' being suffered. These can be prevented by shields and other effects, but each wound not prevented requires the removal of a wound token from the hero sheet (or placing of one for a monster).
What actually kills a hero is the removal of the last wound token from his character sheet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Watkins
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I expect most people (even me) do quite well at realising that WOUNDS are damage inflicted minus armour.

As you mentioned they confuse the terminology so much for damage total damage etc etc that when you see a special trait that works if damage is inflicted, or for every wound suffered, sometimes it is easy to get them mixed up in your head and forget whether the armour is factored in or not.

I have it clear now, useful clarification for other newbs though as i doubt i am the only person to have ever made this mistake. Or all the others i make

Andy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter Van Keer
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same question... So for super clearification if the attack hits... Stun, Burn, Web, etc... will take effect???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Moore
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter
badge
Does (Top Promoter) subliminal (Top Promoter) advertising (Top Promoter) really (Top Promoter) work?
mbmbmbmbmb
btizo wrote:
Robert is correct.

Imagine wearing a big suit of plate mail and having a giant club hit you upside the head or in the chest. You might not be bleeding, but you most certainly would have your bell rung or the wind knocked out of you!

You know, you'd think so, but I was at a Renaissance Fair a couple years back watching an armored joust. This dude took a wooden club and hit the other guy on his armored head hard enough to SHATTER the club with pieces of it flying over 6 feet away. The guy wasn't fazed at all. Amazing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Decerto wrote:
I had the same question... So for super clearification if the attack hits... Stun, Burn, Web, etc... will take effect???

As long as the attack hits and has at least 1 damage. Attacks with only blue/yellow/black dice can theoretically hit for zero damage, in which case they don't trigger (though that's a very rare case). But if you deal at least 1 damage, then you can inflict effects, even if the damage is all absorbed by armor and the target doesn't actually lose any health tokens.

Except for Poison, which inflicts 1 token per wound (that is, per health marker actually removed), and thus does nothing if all the damage is negated by armor (or shields, or whatever).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter Van Keer
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool thanks all... This was the only thing that really never made true sence....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.