Joe Lux
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There are times when there seems to be no way to stop Michelangelo or Shakespeare from racking up a gigantic lead. How do you overcome that?

A steady improvement in government and constantly improving from Philosophy, can lead to a 48 point Internet gain. That is what four buildings in computers can yield. I have done this as has others in my group. With Engineering and an advanced Government, I've seen sudden jumps to Computers with Internet on their minds late in the game.

Not to be dependent on one card, comparable results with this high technology strategy can be made with First Flight, but requires a more diverse style of play.

Those who do play a cultural game, will find the III events will seldomly be of your liking, and must score points early. They will be more dependent on Fast Food as the final wonder.

Hollywood works better with the Michelangelo/Bach plan, than does the Shakespeare plan. The M/B plan naturally developes higher level buildings. The Bard tends to have more buildings, but at lower levels, to score optimum results. Hence: Bard and Fast Food.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, First Space Flight or Fast foods is almost always better for ALL participants, regardless of leaders and culture production. I mean, if you don't have any science, then you either have Cook and 8 colonies, or you are losing abysmally. If you have science, then you've placed a fair number of cards, and FSF is going to be a big bonus. FF is the same way. Sure it might net someone more, but it usually nets everyone more than the other two. Since it's a bonus to everyone, everyone will want to take it.

Additionally, even if Hollywood or Internet is useful to one player, it's more likely that they will take one of the others so that their opponents don't have a good option.

Finally, while Age III wonders have a nice kick, don't ignore the big culture producers such as Movies (or maybe Multimedia). 2 guys on Movies (producing 8 culture per turn) at the beginning of Age III will usually be worth more culture than the best Age III wonder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joe Lux wrote:
A steady improvement in government and constantly improving from Philosophy, can lead to a 48 point Internet gain. That is what four buildings in computers can yield.

I thought Internet only gives 2 per level of Labs, not 4. A single Computer Lab is 6 points; 4 would only be 24 points. In order to achieve the maximum of 48, you'd need 4 Computer Labs and 4 MultiMedia Libraries.

Certainly possible, but rather expensive as it requires an Era III government, Computers, MultiMedia, 8 Population, and around 52 Ore (if Engineering is also acquired). Then, you'd need to be able to grab Internet and build it for around 14 Ore. You are looking at nominally 20 Era III Civil Actions (if all goes well and your opponents allow you to grab all of the requisite cards for 1 CA each) and 66 Ore. In many of the games I've been in, that wouldn't leave a lot of time or resources to do much else.

Internet and Hollywood can definitely be worthwhile, but I wouldn't want to count on them. In my current PBeM game, I was considering completing FSF early to grab and complete Internet for 18 points, but it would have sucked up most of my remaining CAs and resources. Too tight a cut with a military in play looking for victims.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Van Reeth
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I think the biggest problem is why are Shakespeare and Michelangelo good choices in your games.
I would say your group of players is not being aggressive enough on the military track.
If your opponents are diverting their resources towards an early culture build, you should take advantage of that and divert your resources to an unchallenged military lead, and plunder/event/war the hell out of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Masquerouge wrote:
I think the biggest problem is why are Shakespeare and Michelangelo good choices in your games.
I would say your group of players is not being aggressive enough on the military track.
If your opponents are diverting their resources towards an early culture build, you should take advantage of that and divert your resources to an unchallenged military lead, and plunder/event/war the hell out of them.

That's the beauty of Mike, you don't need to "[divert] resources towards an early culture build" you just sorta get free culture.

If I have been stuck with the Hanging Gardens, I'm gonna be on the lookout for Mike, especially if I get shafted and can't get Leonardo. This usually forces an opponent to take the Basilica if it shows early enough, otherwise they could be in for a rough time. Getting all that culture doesn't really divert much away from the core infrastructure, and it can be decisive.

I don't usually go down that route, but it can be a powerful option, and there's not much a player can do militarily to harm an opponent other than prevent them from taking Mike in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Buergel
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
out4blood wrote:
Masquerouge wrote:

That's the beauty of Mike, you don't need to "[divert] resources towards an early culture build" you just sorta get free culture.

If I have been stuck with the Hanging Gardens, I'm gonna be on the lookout for Mike, especially if I get shafted and can't get Leonardo. This usually forces an opponent to take the Basilica if it shows early enough, otherwise they could be in for a rough time. Getting all that culture doesn't really divert much away from the core infrastructure, and it can be decisive.

I don't usually go down that route, but it can be a powerful option, and there's not much a player can do militarily to harm an opponent other than prevent them from taking Mike in the first place.

I agree, the strength of Mike is that you get culture for things that otherwise can be kind of dead investments. I've won a couple of games by taking Mike and then just diving straight into military, which allowed me to not only have a culture lead but to be able to defend it later in the game from wars and whatnot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.