Popular Tags: [View All]
Madhujith Venkatakrishna
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

I played my 1st game today with my wife and cousin. I did enjoy the game a lot but had some confusion about some of the rules. I request you to please help clarify the following:

1. When we start the game as we don't have any action cards, we directly proceed to the buy phase right?

2. When I started my had had 3 estate cards and 2 copper- does this mean I can't get rid of these 3 estate cards without playing an action card? Say a Cellar which allows you to discard cards and pick up cards from the deck?

3. Later in the game after many rounds, my cousin ended up with a unique situation, he had 3 estate cards and 2 duchy cards- what happens now? I asked him to discard the 5 cards and consider as his action phase and asked him to proceed to the buy phase where he took a copper and eventually to the cleanup phase?- Please let me know if I played it right?

4. Can we at any point of time discard cards from hand (and not pick up replacement as we have not played an action card)?

5. In one turn after all the phases I ended up having 7 cards in my hand. I started with 5 cards then played Smithy as an action card which gave me 3 cards to be drawn from the deck and I just bought a copper (which went to the discard pile) and did not draw any more cards. Should I actually discard cards so that I end up with only 5 at the end of my turn.

I know I'm asking a lot of questions, but please help.

Thanks a lot in advance,
Madhu

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Kiser
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
madhujith wrote:
Hi All,

I played my 1st game today with my wife and cousin. I did enjoy the game a lot but had some confusion about some of the rules. I request you to please help clarify the following:

1. When we start the game as we don't have any action cards, we directly proceed to the buy phase right?

2. When I started my had had 3 estate cards and 2 copper- does this mean I can't get rid of these 3 estate cards without playing an action card? Say a Cellar which allows you to discard cards and pick up cards from the deck?

3. Later in the game after many rounds, my cousin ended up with a unique situation, he had 3 estate cards and 2 duchy cards- what happens now? I asked him to discard the 5 cards and consider as his action phase and asked him to proceed to the buy phase where he took a copper and eventually to the cleanup phase?- Please let me know if I played it right?

4. Can we at any point of time discard cards from hand (and not pick up replacement as we have not played an action card)?

5. In one turn after all the phases I ended up having 7 cards in my hand. I started with 5 cards then played Smithy as an action card which gave me 3 cards to be drawn from the deck and I just bought a copper (which went to the discard pile) and did not draw any more cards. Should I actually discard cards so that I end up with only 5 at the end of my turn.

Thanks a lot in advance,
Madhu

1. Correct. Or -- you're not actually skipping the action phase, just declining to play one.
2. Define "get rid." These will be discarded at the end of your turn (as will the rest of your hand), but you're right -- these are dead weight. This turn would see you declining to play an action and buying a card worth 0-2 treasure.
3. Again, he will not have any actions to play, nor any money to spend. Remember that copper and curses cost zero, so he could have bought either.
4. It's irrelevant. You discard everything at the end of your turn. But, going by the rules, I would say no.
5. Remember - you end up with ZERO at the end of your turn, then draw a fresh five.

I think one key rule that seems to run through all this is the fact that you discard your ENTIRE hand EVERY turn, then draw 5 new fresh cards to use in the next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of you confusion comes from your clean up phase.

During the clean-up phase, you discard any cards you did not play or use during your turn. Then you draw a new hand of 5 cards.

Yes, if have no actions or choose not play any, you skip this and go directly to the buy phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Weiss
United States
Woodbridge
VA
flag msg tools
mb
I think the best is to go over the turn sequence 1st:
Action: you may play and action card, if you can not or elect not to, go to the next phase.
Buy: Lay out your money and buy up to one item, unless action cards have given you the option to buy more.
Cleanup: Discard your hand and draw five new cards, shuffling if necessary.

1: Basically, technically you just decline to play an action and move to the next phase.
2: Discard them at the end of your turn.
3: Discard the cards at the end of your turn as above.
4: Cleanup phase discard you must discard your whole hand.
5: Discard your whole hand at the cleanup phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Kiser
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Buggy wrote:

A Cellar allows you to trash cards, which is different than discarding. Discarded cards go to your discard pile. Trashed cards are removed from the game entirely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
Plaatsvervangende Schaamte
badge
mbmbmb
jammasterjake wrote:
Buggy wrote:

A Cellar allows you to trash cards, which is different than discarding. Discarded cards go to your discard pile. Trashed cards are removed from the game entirely.

Yeah...

Cellar allows you to discard and draw.

Chapel allows you to trash...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark G.
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

madhujith wrote:
Hi All,

Thanks a lot in advance,
Madhu

1. Correct. You can just buy with the first hand.

2. At the end of your turn all cards from your hand are put into the discard. So in your example you'd use the 2 coppers to make a buy then you'd put all cards + the purchased card into the discard. You cannot discard those 3 estates during your turn in order to draw more cards, however, unless you have an action card that allows that.

3. Your cousin has no action and can buy some card costing 0 if he'd like (e.g. a Copper). You cannot discard those victory during your turn in order to draw more cards, however, unless you have an action card that allows that. You cannot trash the cards without an appropriate action card.

4. You place ALL cards in your hand into the discard pile at the end of your turn.

5. At the end of your turn all cards in your hand go into the discard. You draw a fresh 5 from your deck at the start of the next turn.

Hope that helps.

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirkwb
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jammasterjake wrote:
Buggy wrote:

Yeah, Mike, you're thinking of Chapel. Chapel trashes cards. Cellar lets you discard X Cards to Draw X cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Spencer
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
madhujith wrote:
Hi All,

Thanks a lot in advance,
Madhu

I realize it's been answered already, but I'm going to restate it just in case.

You're issues seem to stem from you not understanding how a turn ends. You discard ALL cards you've touched this turn and drawn a brand new hand of exactly five cards from your deck. You retain no cards between turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madhujith Venkatakrishna
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a ton guys!!

Now I know where I was making the mistake. I did not realize that I had to discard everything after the turn ends. As all of you have rightly said, I did not realize that. Thanks again, now I understand the turn sequence and the intricacy of this game a little better.

Cheers,
Madhu
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
madhujith wrote:

Just as a note on this one: as you now know you discard everything at the end of your turn. However, you cannot choose to discard earlier (that would mess with the Library and other cards): the only time you discard is at the end of the turn or when instructed to do so by an action card (such as Militia).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madhujith Venkatakrishna
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot, in fact you have answered my next question :-) which is exactly what happened yesterday when we played it the 2nd time around :-)

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Weuve
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
jsciv wrote:
madhujith wrote:

Just as a note on this one: as you now know you discard everything at the end of your turn. However, you cannot choose to discard earlier (that would mess with the Library and other cards): the only time you discard is at the end of the turn or when instructed to do so by an action card (such as Militia).

The reason why you can't discard early is because some cards require you to do things with the "extra" cards in your hand. BUREAUCRAT, for instance, requires you to take a VP card (if you have one) and put it on the top of your draw pile (i.e., it puts a useless card in your next hand). So, you can't discard early.

I want to get the useless cards out of the way, too, so I usually place them face down next to my Discard pile. Theoretically this might be problematic -- IIRC there's another card which allows another player to randomly force a discard from your hand, so pulling out the dead cards gives the other player knowledge about your hand when he's deciding whether to do this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.