Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never played Attack!, but I heartily recommend Memoir! It's simple enough to teach and learn quickly, and best of all, it's just plain fun!

No it's not Axis and Allies or Tide of Iron, nothing complicated like those...it's just simple, FUN and scratches a war-game lite itch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Memoir.

Start with the base game. Then add the air pack. Then the overlord maps. Then the campaign book.

Each step will significantly enhance the gameplay.

Get the other expansions as and when.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Gordon
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say Memoir 44 as well. It is a good fun game which I would think would be fine for some brothers (especially youngish lads) and father as well. I would suggest the features to consider being;
- M44 is light hearted enough you won't risk damaging the atmosphere at the dinner table, with a little luck so no one can take things too personally
- the luck of the cards also means you have more re-playability. Playing the same scenario again can give you a totally different feel. Playing the opposite side of the same scenario is also quite different.
- M44 has enough of a wargame feel and the miniatures to suck you into the theme, although if you all want something more realist it sounds like you'd be better with something more hard core (Tide of Iron even???)
- you can play 2 players (or more especially with Overlord) per side, great for teaching or including younger players
- scenarios aren't even, so you can take a the challenging side against a learner/younger player as a way of taking a handicap and still play the next game as the opposite side if you want some sort of evening out.
- M44 has shorter games than a marathon risk etc, although the setup can take some time.
- the short games also mean you don't end up feeling like your just playing out to your demise after a disastrous mistake, games like this certainly do not go well with new or young gamers (as in risk/attack/axis and allies etc).
- campaigns of multiple games support those long drawn out competitions that brothers love
- if you really get into you can design and publish your own scenarios on the DOW website, there are also a lot of scenarios there by other players.

I enjoy this and it seems evident many others do as well, I don't think you could go far wrong with M44. Maybe just see how the base goes first before you get swept away with the boxes of cool expansions......

enjoy, Neil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the scrub
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bought Attack some years ago for a cousin. Then bought M44 for myself -- not knowing how much better it was. I feel like I mistreated my cousin still. Get Memoir.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Condotta
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Judging from your description of your dad and bro, you should keep them away from Attack. I think Attack is a fine game (though I would high recommend you buy both the base game and the expansion), but it's not an game for non-gamers. There can be a lot of downtime between turns. (the person who goes first during one round, goes last in the following round). You can do as much want on your turn as long as you have the resources to do it. Each action requires Oil; first action - one oil, second action - 2 oil, etc. Players need to balance their ambition with the amount of oil they can produce. The expansion pack introduces government types (Capitalism, Communism, Fascist or Monarchy) each with their own goal and objectives. It's loads of fun, but a bit more in depth than Sorry . oh and the game is long

Memoir 44 is great. Simpler rules, quick pace, interesting scenarios. The expansions can add a lot more depth, but are not required to make the game fun. I don't think I would agree with Philmcd about the Air Pack expansion though. It's great, but I would recommend the Eastern Front expansion after purchasing the base game

Hope this helps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two completely different games.

I gave my copy of Attack and the expansion to my nephews as it would never see table time in my house.

Memoir '44 is more of a tactical game that looks at a small area of the theater/battle.

Attack and Risk are global in their scope.
Attack has some resource management and unit production decisions.

If your group wants a Risk type game but with more meat in it I'd recommend Axis and Allies the Revised Edition over Risk and Attack.

Seeing as you are posting this question in the M'44 forum I'd expect most everyone to pick it, but it really depends on the desires of your group... A quick game with several different scenarios pick M'44, if 3-4 hours of global war is preferred go with A&A...

Regardless of which one you pick just be happy you have people to game with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Reed
United States
Clayton
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'd really like to hear how this turns out. What they thought, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the decision you made to go with Memoir considering the audience you have playing with you. However, just wanted to add another voice saying that Attack! is an excellent game when played with the Expansion (and now, Deluxe is available which makes it an even better play experience). But like others have said, Attack! would probably not be a good choice for people who are not gamers - somewhat more complex and definitely a longer game with more downtime between player turns. Memoir, on the other hand, is a great game for gamers and non-gamers alike. Have fun!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To add more players you can go with the overlord variant. Requires more bits (though I picked up the overlord expansion for this), there are some nice (albeit pricey for what you get) map packs for Overlord.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.