Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Taylor
United States
Aurora
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a session report for the introductory scenario, which only involves one turn and a couple of brigades. Note that this session report doesn’t involve any kind of great tactics or showstopping ideas, it was for learning purposes only. The tactics involved are actually rather blunt, no real subtlety involved.

The Union division had the first two activations. They spent these by moving towards the Confederate troops, but they weren’t in an even line. Two regiments were out front, in extended line, and the others were trailing.

The next AM was Cheatam’s. He moved his two brigades out a little bit and reorganized them. Artillery was moved to the front.

The following AM was again Cheatam’s. Artillery caused on Union disorder. The infantry on the right moved adjacent to the Union troops in the woods, but since they moved and were under Advance orders, they couldn’t fire.

The next AM was Cheatam’s again, for the third Confederate AM in a row. The Rebel right fires on Union troops, causing one casualty and a disorder. They take one casualty from returning fire. The Union unit that had previously disordered disorders again, taking a casualty.

Union forces get the following activation. Carlin’s brigade successfully changes their orders to "Attack" and move on the Confederate forces. One regiment moves adjacent to a Rebel regiment and fires, disrupting it and taking a casualty in the process. The Rebel regiment tries to retreat before Shock, but fails the Disorder Dieroll and routs. Another Union shock attack forces the defender to retreat. By this time, most of two Union brigades have come up.

The next AM is the last one for the Union. Fire combat eliminates the 17th Alabama SS Battalion and disrupts the unit stacked with it. Other damage is taken by Confederate units.

The final AM belongs to Cheatam. It is a very bloody activation, with both sides getting fully engaged in the skirmish. Both sides took casualties and disruptions. The scenario ends with the forces still engaged and searching for an advantage.

The results are as follows: Union - 10 steps lost, 6 disrupted units; Confederate - 5 steps lost, 6 disrupted units, one eliminated unit, and one routed unit.

The game ends with a Union Victory because of the routed unit.

This is shaping up to be a fun game. The action was fast paced and flowed well. After a couple of activations, I found myself looking at the rulebook less.

My only questions at this point lie with Extended Lines. If an extended line is the subject of a fire attack, and it is disrupted, does the whole regiment disrupt? Ditto with Ammo Depletion. Is it just the extended line or is it the whole regiment? I played that if the extended line was disrupted, it just contracted back into the main unit.

Overall, very enjoyable.

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Veenstra
Netherlands
Delft
flag msg tools
Attaque! Toujours attaque!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gvchief wrote:

My only questions at this point lie with Extended Lines. If an extended line is the subject of a fire attack, and it is disrupted, does the whole regiment disrupt? Ditto with Ammo Depletion. Is it just the extended line or is it the whole regiment? I played that if the extended line was disrupted, it just contracted back into the main unit.

Overall, very enjoyable.

Mike

I'm currently playing Three days of Gettysburg with a friend of mine (I posted some session reports. Have a look) and we're treating the extended regiments as a single unit. The manual states so explictly for shock, so we think it's also logical it goes for disrupt..

We thought about contracting when disrupted but decided against it. This would favor the defender. We thought that if an extended line would be disrupted, it would take extra orders to contract the unit again. This would be something for the next activation of the disrupted unit.

As for ammo, I don't know. We don't use that rule. Isn't that cumbersome? And does "Dead of Winter" come with the needed counters?

I enjoyed reading your session report. Will you play the total battle and then post the session? If possible with pictures!!
I'm actually thinking of buying the game..

Regards
Peter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Berg
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"I'm actually thinking of buying the game.."

Nice to have such good thoughts . . .

RHB
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Veenstra
Netherlands
Delft
flag msg tools
Attaque! Toujours attaque!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BROG wrote:
"I'm actually thinking of buying the game.."

Nice to have such good thoughts . . .

RHB

Keep in mind though, that I first have to finish my 3DoG game. I'm doing my third game now (have a look at the session reports) and might well try a fourth time. As the game progresses, one hour of game time, takes us a whole evening. A three day game might take us another year.. gulp

It might be while before those royalties come rolling in..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Dauphinais
United States
Chesterfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gvchief wrote:

Yes. Yes. Whole regiment. Nope, the whole regiment becomes disordered. Think of it as a single counter that takes up two (or three hexes) when extended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Aurora
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Jim.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Phillips
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The infantry on the right moved adjacent to the Union troops in the woods, but since they moved and were under Advance orders, they couldn’t fire.

Don't forget that units under Advance orders can't move adjacent to enemy units, except for artillery or when crossing a bridge or ford (9.23).

I fiddled with the Intro scenario but have 1.0 set up now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Aurora
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that I realized that afterwards. I do it correctly now.

Good luck with 1.0. The Rebels have to drive hard to win it. Can't hold back.

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.