Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just came across this article on Makezine:
http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2009/06/how-to_shrinky-dink...

The author uses printable shrink film (Shrinky-dinks to those of us from the '80's) to print out stand up tokens for Ogre.

Pretty awesome idea. I only wish I had known this product existed before now. I haven't looked into a good place to buy it or if it comes in other varieties (totally opaque for instance). I'll try to follow up with links when I have time. If anyone else has tried this or knows a good place to get the stuff, I'd love to hear about it.

Seems like it could have a good number of uses for those interested in modding or printing their own games.

Apologies if this has already been posted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently Amazon carries it for starters. Searching for it is a little tricky, but under "Customers also bought..." section are more options.

It isn't exactly cheap (a little more than a dollar per page), but I imagine it's comparable if you look at the time and expense of cutting and mounting your own stickered cardboard chits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and using the paper clips for stands is pretty brilliant. I hadn't seen that before. It might be worth using that trick for other games with bad clips.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Subhan Michael Tindall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, technically they are binder clips, but yeah they make awesome stands. If you look around you can sometimes even find boxes of tiny colored ones if you need to make teams for something. Very cool!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Leistiko
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kdiddy13 wrote:
If anyone else has tried this or knows a good place to get the stuff, I'd love to hear about it.
A long story made very short: I've tried it, and it works well. Colored pencils and colored permanent markers work very well for coloring. It's even possible to bend the Dinks after they've baked but before they've cooled to make self-standing pieces, but that's pretty hard to do well.

Typically, we get the blank Dinks at local craft stores. It's also worth noting that Dink sheets come in transparent, white, black, and brown.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
invisiblejon wrote:
kdiddy13 wrote:
If anyone else has tried this or knows a good place to get the stuff, I'd love to hear about it.
A long story made very short: I've tried it, and it works well. Colored pencils and colored permanent markers work very well for coloring. It's even possible to bend the Dinks after they've baked but before they've cooled to make self-standing pieces, but that's pretty hard to do well.

Typically, we get the blank Dinks at local craft stores. It's also worth noting that Dink sheets come in transparent, white, black, and brown.

Cool! Thanks for the update!

Do you have any photos?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rel Lington
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
so i am making the number tokens and ports for my settlers of catan game out of shrinky dinks, and it is going really well! i can't post pictures right now, but i think they look really cool, and they feel nice.

THE COOL PART is that i am pretty broke so i started searching the internet to see what kind of plastic shrinky dinks are made of and if there is a cheaper way to obtain it... and sure enough there is!

#6 recyclable plastic (to go containers given out by restaurants) is the same thing. it works perfectly. it is awesome because you can find them in the recycling (or garbage) almost anywhere and then clean them. restaurants will frequently give them to you for free if you ask as well. the only drawbacks are these: they are always clear, and they are smooth on both sides. one of the cool things about shrinky dinks is that they are rough on one side so you can use colored pencils, but you have to rough up the #6 plastic if you want to do that. i didn't want to, so i can't say how that goes. something i did notice is that the #6 plastic shrinks a little more than actual shrinky dinks and ends up being a little thicker. i really like that about it. plus it is free!

hopefully that is helpful... i know you can't put that plastic through a printer, but luckily most of the errors i make by hand are invisible after it shrinks anyway!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Koch
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What temp do you bake the #6 plastic, and is it usually flat?

Thanks!
-Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rel Lington
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
i just bake it at 350 like the normal shrinky dinks, and as long as i wait long enough then yes, they will come out flat. some of my number tokens curled at the edges, but it was really minor and i could easily push it down before it cooled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
While sleeping, watch!
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The production of Hoffman lenses is incumbent upon all true scientists
badge
The tallest mountains, the darkest forests, the deepest deserts, the oldest books, there you will find the stone.
mbmbmbmbmb
So what makes the sheets printable by an inkjet printer? I ask because I found a pack of 20 sheets for 99 cents at a thrift store last week when I read this the first time. I don't see any reason not to send them through the printer, but figured I would ask if anyone knew reasons before I try it.

Only one time I had a weird time printing on the back of a photo paper that the ink just beaded up, but I've printed on many photo papers backs and been just fine. I use the Cannon BJC 890 photo printer with generic ink carts and it is wonderful. I have 5 extras I've thrifted as backups (huge space hogs, but for $5 can't beat em, just have to do a deep cleaning and print checks to unclog the heads, wasteful on ink, but I have refillable carts and cheap ink I use for that purpose). Top of the line printer in the day, and right before the chipped carts popped up. Its companion 19" printer is the bomb too, its one model earlier sister is OK, but won't do edgeless.

Also I buy most of my photo paper at thrifts, the best is finding the glossy cardstock packs for $2.

Anyway, shrinkydinks and inkjets....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Gorno" Fashena
United States
Westchester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
criscodisco wrote:
so i am making the number tokens and ports for my settlers of catan game out of shrinky dinks, and it is going really well! i can't post pictures right now, but i think they look really cool, and they feel nice.

THE COOL PART is that i am pretty broke so i started searching the internet to see what kind of plastic shrinky dinks are made of and if there is a cheaper way to obtain it... and sure enough there is!

#6 recyclable plastic (to go containers given out by restaurants) is the same thing. it works perfectly. it is awesome because you can find them in the recycling (or garbage) almost anywhere and then clean them. restaurants will frequently give them to you for free if you ask as well.
Just to clarify, since I was temporarily perplexed: these are (one variety of) the thin, flimsy, crystal-clear plastic containers that cafeterias put sandwiches, etc., in, not the sturdier take-out containers one usually gets from restaurants. Here is a link (with photos) to what I assume is your posting! http://www.curbly.com/users/Chrisjob/posts/2252-diy-shrinky-...

Gorno
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.